Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that Wombat has figured out how to edit the News Box!

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 380367 times)

0 Members and 60 Guests are viewing this topic.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #840 on: March 03, 2011, 04:54:00 am »

oy
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #841 on: March 04, 2011, 11:14:55 pm »

vanity fair-mr bungle

also, ape dos mil(live)-glassjaw
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 12:05:25 am by greenkoolayd »
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #842 on: March 07, 2011, 07:53:11 am »

The Fireman, Electric Arguments.  It came out in 2008 and I just now picked it up.  It's no secret that I am a huge Paul McCartney fan and I love this one. 

I have been vaguely aware of The Fireman for a long time, but never paid much attention to it because I figured it was mostly just experimental music.  Otherwise, why use a pseudonym?  Anyway, it's everything you would expect from a Paul McCartney album, great singing, great playing, fantastic melodies.  It's great pop music.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #843 on: March 07, 2011, 12:59:38 pm »

The Fireman, Electric Arguments.  It came out in 2008 and I just now picked it up.  It's no secret that I am a huge Paul McCartney fan and I love this one. 

I have been vaguely aware of The Fireman for a long time, but never paid much attention to it because I figured it was mostly just experimental music.  Otherwise, why use a pseudonym?  Anyway, it's everything you would expect from a Paul McCartney album, great singing, great playing, fantastic melodies.  It's great pop music.

Electric Arguments is excellent, yes. But despite that, don't get the first Fireman album, Strawberries Oceans Ships Forest. It is eighty minutes of the same beat in slightly different remixes. You might listen to the first track and think it sounds decent, but then you will realise that every other track on the album is almost exactly the same. I haven't heard the second Fireman album, Rushes, but from what I've read it sounds closer to the first one than it does to Electric Arguments.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #844 on: March 13, 2011, 07:21:24 am »

Fear of Music, that is their masterpiece, in my opinion.

Been listening to this a lot recently, and I think you might be right. Why this post popped into my head almost a year later, no idea.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #845 on: March 15, 2011, 07:04:47 pm »

probably as a way to avoid having to keep up with new music, I am wiping my iPhone and loading it up with:
Led Zeppelin
Cream
Jimi Hendrix
CCR albums I don't listen to every day
the Kinks
in an effort to re-visit things I have not heard in years. Also, there are a few Zeppelin and Kinks albums I have never heard. Actually, every Kinks album except for Village Green Preservation Society.

I think I will also put on the complete works of other great bands (Sonic Youth, for instance) whose other albums I have not heard.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #846 on: March 15, 2011, 07:51:14 pm »

I've decided to listen to my whole library this year. I'm averaging 100 songs a weekday so I figure I should be done around April. It would be longer but I'm pretty brutal about saying "I'll never listen to this song" and deleting it from iTunes. I mean, I have the CD if I ever change my mind.

Done! Well, mostly. I finished with the "core" ~7000 songs that fit on my iPod. I have another 2,000 or so that fall into the "I like this enough to not delete it but not enough to listen to it more than every few years" category. And also novelty songs and whatnot I have just because. Sometimes it's fun at a party to start a song just watch people go "This had better be Under Pressure. This really better be Under Pressure... You fucker."
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #847 on: March 15, 2011, 11:09:45 pm »

man, it is weird that no stoner has ever made a documentary/rant/whatever about this thing I just discovered. I guess I have only explored like half of it, but it seems like it will keep holding true:

if you play every Led Zeppelin album in the order of the year they were released, that is:
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin II
Led Zeppelin III
Led Zeppelin IV
Houses of the Holy
Physical Graffiti

it is like one huge, awesome album that just keeps going and going for like 5 hours.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #848 on: March 16, 2011, 02:31:45 am »

man, it is weird that no stoner has ever made a documentary/rant/whatever about this thing I just discovered. I guess I have only explored like half of it, but it seems like it will keep holding true:

if you play every Led Zeppelin album in the order of the year they were released, that is:
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin II
Led Zeppelin III
Led Zeppelin IV
Houses of the Holy
Physical Graffiti

it is like one huge, awesome album that just keeps going and going for like 5 hours.

I've never tried this.  Hold on...

I'll get back with you tomorrow sometime.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #849 on: March 16, 2011, 04:01:27 am »

Song of the Minerals

What we need more of is Albini
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #850 on: March 17, 2011, 05:27:06 am »

Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #851 on: March 17, 2011, 04:48:42 pm »

The West Coast rollz along.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #852 on: March 23, 2011, 02:05:41 am »

Hey Paul - Steely Dan are playing in Portland on July 3rd. Have you ever seen them live? This is academic, because I'll be at work, but I thought I'd ask because I wish I could go.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #853 on: March 23, 2011, 02:53:38 am »

I saw them twice back in the late 90s early 00s.  I've still got the t-shirt somewhere in my closet.  They are a listening band.  That is to say, don't expect too much movement on stage or much of a show.  They let the music do the talking.

The second time I saw them they played The Boston Rag which was nice because it's one of my favorites.  And I wasn't expecting it since it's pretty obscure.

I love the lyrical poetry on it even though I have no idea what they are talking about other than it probably has something to do with drugs.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #854 on: March 23, 2011, 04:18:48 am »

I heard that recently they have been playing deeper album cuts, and also that they've been taking requests after a fashion. I think they played "The Fez" at one of their shows fairly recently, and it was like the first time they'd ever played it live?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 190   Go Up