Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I shouldn't have to tell people not to hit me on the head nearly so often as I do.

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 380609 times)

0 Members and 70 Guests are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #855 on: March 26, 2011, 03:18:17 pm »

Paul, i thought you might enjoy this if you haven't seen it yet:
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #856 on: March 26, 2011, 05:18:09 pm »

Nice!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #857 on: March 30, 2011, 09:34:11 pm »

Logged

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #858 on: March 31, 2011, 06:23:58 am »

Inev, if you ain't already get Arthur by the Kinks on the go, has some of their best tracks. Stuff like Shangri-La and Victoria, truly superlative ditties.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #859 on: March 31, 2011, 06:58:45 am »

I just downloaded that! As well as a bunch of other Kinks album listed on the "favorite albums" page of this book I am reading about Pavement.

Yeah!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #860 on: March 31, 2011, 07:34:12 am »

Seriously man, that one is the shit.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #861 on: March 31, 2011, 07:18:19 pm »

Paul, i thought you might enjoy this if you haven't seen it yet:
[king of limbs flier]

The King of Limbs is my favorite Radiohead album.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #862 on: March 31, 2011, 07:29:29 pm »

The King of Limbs is my favorite Radiohead album.

I can never tell if you are fuck*ng with me.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #863 on: April 01, 2011, 09:21:04 am »

Shangri-La and Victoria

I was always a fan of the Kinks even though I didn't have any of their records.  They have a lot of great hits.  Then I started buying their records and the songs on the records are even better than the hits.  Love both of those songs.  Never heard either one of them until about 10 years ago.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #864 on: April 01, 2011, 10:10:08 am »

I can never tell if you are fuck*ng with me.

The album is beautiful, genius.  Every Radiohead album is all about, "ugh, society is bringing u down," and all the usual stupid shit.  It's all great music

but King of Limbs goes a totally different direction.  It's about nature.  It's about a tree and the album is a group of songs that personify the "thoughts" of a tree as it goes through a season.  The awakening and the fight to survive.  The emergence of self and sexuality.  It describes a love story between the tree and its leaves which culminates in letting them go.  So real, so surreal.  Such a simple concept and so beautiful that I must call it genius.

The observations can shed insight onto one's own life, and one's relationship with nature and the universe.

Meanwhile the band releases their most musically mature album.  It's hypnotic, the lushest textures the band has woven yet can get you lost so deep your ego may evaporate.  The melodies are teasing, they coax you out of a trance only to trail away in walls of sound that send you back into space.  Best ever use of reverb turns  vocal lines into beautiful chords.  Granted, it's not a new concept to the band, which seems to be an argument of the album's detractors (not innovative enough).  But that is  nonsense.  The album has deeper texture than I've ever heard.

The album is challenging in multiple ways yet still very accessible.  Yet it has many detractors.  I feel most of them are just disappointed not to hear telecaster strings snapping around with the treble completely maxed out, crash cymbals ringing throughout a two hour album.  No: The King of Limbs is a whisper.  A ghost.

A quiet request to join the universe on a new plane of existence.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #865 on: April 01, 2011, 02:36:32 pm »

King of Limbs review
That's worth a can. I don't know why I don't listen to music in that fashion anymore. I guess I just got too busy.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #866 on: April 01, 2011, 03:29:46 pm »

I mean, shit, I don't care for no Raidohead but I'm half convinced.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #867 on: April 01, 2011, 04:23:41 pm »

I mean, shit, I don't care for no Raidohead but I'm half convinced.

I'm so convinced by that review that I might take RG's advice on guitars.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #868 on: April 01, 2011, 07:21:54 pm »

So much new music has come my way lately that King of Limbs kinda got lost in the shuffle.  My first impression was meh...  I definitely need to give it a second chance.  I do love Radiohead.

And look, here's a picture of Thom Yorke playing an SG.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #869 on: April 01, 2011, 08:07:13 pm »

That has to be pre-KOL though.

I really like the new album, too.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 190   Go Up