Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You might, rabbit

You might.

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 380447 times)

0 Members and 62 Guests are viewing this topic.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #870 on: April 01, 2011, 11:05:30 pm »

I was always a fan of the Kinks even though I didn't have any of their records.  They have a lot of great hits.  Then I started buying their records and the songs on the records are even better than the hits.  Love both of those songs.  Never heard either one of them until about 10 years ago.

Exactly Paul, they have a strength in depth that belies the classic rock radio stations and guitar rock compilations endless love for You Really Got Me. Superb songwriters who provide real depth and clarity to every lyric and melody.

I've been listening to a lot of Half Man Half Biscuit recently. Extremely 'English', but not in the way the Kinks were. No sir.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #871 on: April 02, 2011, 04:23:02 am »

I'll just toss this in here:

"It wasn't called heavy metal when I invented it." Dave Davies
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #872 on: April 02, 2011, 04:41:01 am »

Hey, I just gave you your three hundreth can.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #873 on: April 02, 2011, 06:05:43 am »

I thought it was The Beatles who, as well as validating the existence of thousands of years of British history by being such a successful project, invented heavy metal.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #874 on: April 02, 2011, 06:38:11 pm »

Beatles are good times and Dave's a bit of a bastard, but I can't really argue with the quote.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #875 on: April 03, 2011, 12:11:15 am »

I wonder if there would be a market if I could get this maniacally shrieking monkey in my head on tape?

yes.

if by market you mean one guy on the internet.

Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #876 on: April 03, 2011, 08:03:22 pm »

I'm not listening to anything right now, but last night I listened to my wife play a couple of songs with her new band, then some friends of ours play a full set with their old band, then my brother-in-law get up and play metal/punk karaoke with his bassist (playing a Les Paul for this set) and lots of different people singing, and then a full Misfits cover set with another person playing the Les Paul and the bassist going back to my bass. It was pretty awesome.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #877 on: April 04, 2011, 02:02:38 am »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #878 on: April 04, 2011, 03:23:28 pm »

Songs from the Wood

After reading this, I went back to find out when exactly Tony Iommi played for them ('68) and learned that Phil Collins also played for them at one gig in '82.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #879 on: April 04, 2011, 05:02:17 pm »

After reading this, I went back to find out when exactly Tony Iommi played for them ('68)

He didn't do any recording with them, but was in the band when they did the Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #880 on: April 04, 2011, 05:58:24 pm »

He didn't do any recording with them, but was in the band when they did the Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus.

And is actually not on record with them, as the music was dubbed later.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #881 on: April 04, 2011, 06:04:37 pm »

So what are you saying, was that not a live recording?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #882 on: April 04, 2011, 06:13:20 pm »

So what are you saying, was that not a live recording?

Quote from: The ubiquitous Wikipedia
Black Sabbath guitarist Tony Iommi played guitar for Jethro Tull briefly in 1968 following the departure of Mick Abrahams. The only recording of him with Jethro Tull is on The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus although his guitar is not heard as all of the music (except Ian Anderson's vocals and flute) was dubbed in afterwards. It was a one-off performance and he returned to Black Sabbath (then called Earth) in January 1969.
Quote from: Elsewhere on Wikipedia
Iommi, Butler, Ward and Osbourne renamed their band Earth in September 1968. They carried on under this moniker until December 1968 when Iommi briefly departed to play in Jethro Tull. However after only one performance (an appearance on "The Rolling Stones Rock & Roll Circus" in which the band mimed "A Song for Jeffrey", while Ian Anderson sang live), Iommi was back with Earth once more.

Allmusic just says he was in Jethro Tull during that time and that he played on "Rock & Roll Circus" so in conclusion I got nothing.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #883 on: April 04, 2011, 07:04:28 pm »

That is very interesting.  I guess I never questioned it because it seems very live.  Also, The Rolling Stones performance on the same show is so rambling and shambolic that it must be live.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #884 on: April 04, 2011, 07:21:46 pm »

"Shambolic" - Paul, you magnificent bastard!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 190   Go Up