Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Barely passed Oregon driver's test. Lots of rules about Yielding to the Distraught and slow-moving salmon trucks on one-way switchbacks.

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 381113 times)

0 Members and 60 Guests are viewing this topic.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #975 on: May 27, 2011, 03:11:58 pm »

Fimbulwinter - Black Metal Storm

Killer riffs, basement sound. I don't know how some people can claim to like punk/hardcore type stuff and not like this.

edit: I mean, I realize that they are very different forms, but punk heavily influenced (early) black metal.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 03:29:58 pm by lprkn »
Logged

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #976 on: May 29, 2011, 02:33:23 am »

IS TROPICAL-THE GREEKS

the song is kind of 'meh', but the video is hell of poignant.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #977 on: May 29, 2011, 02:45:47 am »

Quote
Fimbulwinter - Black Metal Storm

Killer riffs, basement sound. I don't know how some people can claim to like punk/hardcore type stuff and not like this.

I like this. I have always wondered what the deal was with metal always sounding like the 80s never ended. Not a huge fan of the screaming, either. But this is good. The riffs definitely have an early hardcore feel.

I always wonder if any meaningful proportion of metal fans like Lightning Bolt. Or other similar bands
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 02:53:00 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #978 on: May 29, 2011, 03:35:10 pm »

I like the Lightning Bolt stuff. It reminds me of a lot of some the heavy, fuzzy, repetitive stuff that I listen to sometimes. It's definitely crazier, though.

I guess (one of) the problems with metal is that it's hugely sectarian, with all of these fanatical niche groups/styles. Some styles basically come down to trying to sound like one song on one album from one band. And that gets old sometimes, although there are bands that actually do it pretty well (Witchcraft does a pretty good early Black Sabbath). A lot of guys want to recreate their favorite song/band/genre/whatever, which is fine, but the more innovative stuff never really reaches the top(also, some of it is hard to listen to (full disclosure: I love that song)). So you get a lot of imitation, rather than innovation. At least on the surface.

But the good stuff's there, you just have to dig a little. Which I guess you could say about almost everything.

edit: One of the best explanations I have heard for metal is that "it does not have a sense of irony." Which is not completely true, but does make a lot of sense.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 03:58:22 pm by lprkn »
Logged

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #979 on: May 29, 2011, 03:39:56 pm »

Gamma Ray covers Pet Shop Boys. For next time you need to saddle up your pteranodon and fly across the Sahara.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #980 on: June 01, 2011, 06:16:59 am »

Here Come the Warm Jets, holy crap. Holy crap. Robert Fripp playing some weirdo noisy-ass shit. YEAH.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #981 on: June 01, 2011, 08:06:56 am »

Here Come the Warm Jets, holy crap. Holy crap. Robert Fripp playing some weirdo noisy-ass shit. YEAH.

I've tried to get into that, but it just don't work for me.  I really want it to too because I fuck*ng love that title.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #982 on: June 01, 2011, 08:07:19 am »

I am currently listening to T Rex.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #983 on: June 01, 2011, 08:08:41 am »

I am currently listening to T Rex.

You know, I was just about to listen to Here Come the Warm Jets.  I think I just dodged a bullet.  Ha ha, bring on the Metal Guru!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #984 on: June 01, 2011, 08:22:13 am »

You know, I was just about to listen to Here Come the Warm Jets.  I think I just dodged a bullet.  Ha ha, bring on the Metal Guru!

No weirdo noisy-ass shit - just pure glam-rock awesome.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #985 on: June 01, 2011, 11:29:09 am »

somebody posted a white denim video on here the other day and now theyre my shit.  also, ive been getting my musicomedy on with lonely island.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #986 on: June 02, 2011, 03:19:13 am »

Here Come the Warm Jets, holy crap. Holy crap. Robert Fripp playing some weirdo noisy-ass shit. YEAH.

Oh HELLS yes.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #987 on: June 02, 2011, 04:37:06 am »

Nick Lowe today.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #988 on: June 02, 2011, 12:07:18 pm »

Lonely Avenue by Ben Folds and Nick Hornby. Particularly Picture Window.

Oh man, I looked up some lyrics for that and realised that instead of being about a woman whose husband is in hospital (as I originally thought) I think it's actually about someone whose son is in hospital. That makes it so much worse.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 12:19:31 pm by Doc »
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #989 on: June 02, 2011, 12:41:38 pm »

Lonely Avenue by Ben Folds and Nick Hornby. Particularly Picture Window.

Oh man, I looked up some lyrics for that and realised that instead of being about a woman whose husband is in hospital (as I originally thought) I think it's actually about someone whose son is in hospital. That makes it so much worse.

Oh... I think if you made someone listen to this song back to back with Brick on repeat enough times you could actually trigger chronic depression in the average person.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 190   Go Up