Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

I get so lonely up here. You never write, you never call.

sigh

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 379931 times)

0 Members and 52 Guests are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1020 on: June 14, 2011, 02:06:02 pm »

After two days of technical difficulties I finally have one new album of theirs on my mp3 player. I want another one, but I really need to get some work done this week.

In the meantime, Wombat's thwarted passion for Danny Elfman and Oingo Boingo is currently focused on this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdz79z9hoNg

Is it just me, or if you heard this without knowing who it was, you'd swear it was Barenaked Ladies?

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1021 on: June 14, 2011, 03:19:08 pm »

Ash, I hate you. No, I mean, please send that! Yeah, you are right - the live is different but just as good, which is better than identically reproducing the recordings on stage.

I think he's right not to perform again, ears or not. It couldn't be the same. It's important to know when to quit. I am curious about whether his singing voice could have held up, but I kind of don't want to know, oh god, he was so beautiful and now he is so old, it makes me want to cry. Not so old as in "wow, he made it to so old" but so old at the "this is almost the last step on the slippery slope" stage which I am too close to. I am loving these videos and yet somehow they make me feel my mortality hanging over me.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1022 on: June 14, 2011, 04:57:24 pm »

I'd like mp3 if I can get it to copy onto my damn player.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1023 on: June 14, 2011, 06:28:32 pm »

Fuck that!  I say do it until you die.  I mean, that is if it's what you love doing.  God bless the Rolling Stones. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1024 on: June 14, 2011, 09:55:14 pm »

I get the BNL thing, Wombles.

I say play shows until you don't feel like it. I'd much rather not see a show than pay and see someone who doesn't feel like being there (Frank Black, I am all kinds of looking at you).

In Elfman's case, the hearing damage . . . yeah, that sucks. I've worn plugs to shows for at least the last ten years. If you don't - and I don't throw this around much - you are stupid. You can't get that back.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1025 on: June 14, 2011, 10:22:23 pm »

I get the BNL thing, Wombles.

Thank you! I suspect Ash is one of those BNL-haters and feels the comparison is sacrilege.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1026 on: June 15, 2011, 03:48:10 am »

Thank you! I suspect Ash is one of those BNL-haters and feels the comparison is sacrilege.

He may not be, but I am.  Well I wouldn't say I hate them, but I certainly don't understand their appeal at all.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1027 on: June 15, 2011, 03:49:38 am »

The other day one of my friends was crowing on Facebook that they had just scored Bowling For Soup tickets.  I called them a poor man's BNL.  She was offended by the comparison.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1028 on: June 15, 2011, 12:27:34 pm »

There is no point trying to explain the appeal of a band. It is a gut reaction. But, what I feel about them is, sometimes you want to listen to a group that is good at just normal songs. Not too headbanging, not too sweet, nothing exotic. Just songs, with a normal structure, somewhat interesting lyrics, and catchy tunes. There is nothing wrong with that.

Also sometimes they are funny, and I like the way they sing. But there you immediately get into matters of personal preference. There are people who are famous for being great singers who make me want to gouge out my own eardrums. There is no accounting for taste.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1029 on: June 15, 2011, 03:54:06 pm »

I find BNL extremely clever, and the counterpoint between the two lead singers (yes, I guess one of them quit the band) works really well for me. They're talented musicians, as well. I kind of feel the same way about them as I do about Ben Folds. Still, different strokes. I mean, I hate CCR and lots of people like them.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1030 on: June 15, 2011, 07:17:08 pm »

AFAIC, BNL is barely a step above hootie and the blowgiraffe or matchbox 20.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1031 on: June 15, 2011, 07:52:32 pm »

Okay so I am listening to Barenaked Ladies because I always want to give them a benefit of the doubt.  Maybe I was just in the wrong headspace of heard the wrong song.  I have a selection of BNL songs from various soundtrack albums and mixdisc, but I also, to my surprise, have a BNL album.  Huh, how did that get in there?  It's BNL Are Me.  Is that one of their good ones?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1032 on: June 15, 2011, 08:32:11 pm »

AFAIC, BNL is barely a step above hootie and the blowgiraffe or matchbox 20.
I confused them with the Wallflowers more than once.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1033 on: June 15, 2011, 08:46:58 pm »

AFAIC, BNL is barely a step above hootie and the blowgiraffe or matchbox 20.

I confused them with the Wallflowers more than once.

i read a magazine article referring all those bands as "dad rock".  i dont understand what he meant...
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1034 on: June 15, 2011, 09:00:35 pm »

I THINK "dad rock" means... like... contemporary rock that is attempting to sound like mediocre classic rock to the point where if your Baby Boomer dad heard it, he'd be okay with it.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 190   Go Up