Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Once you been to a few weddings, you realize ain’t nobody gives a damn if you readin’ custom vows or the 1987 “Let’s Go!” guide to Bahrain. Just use that stuff about Do/Don’t and Sickness or Health and you gonna get the job done.  -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 381444 times)

0 Members and 55 Guests are viewing this topic.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1035 on: June 15, 2011, 09:32:12 pm »

urban dictionary says:

"The term 'dad rock' refers to older music listened to by men who try, without success, to introduce this music to their children and other younger people.

Music can only be counted as 'dad rock' if it is music that has failed to remain popular with younger generations, e.g. Dire Straits, The Yardbirds etc., whereas bands of the same era such as Led Zeppelin and The Rolling Stones would not count as their music transcends the generation gap and is still popular with younger people

While 'dad rock' can be quite personal to each dad, examples of artists include: Dire Straits, The Yardbirds, Cream, King Crimson, Yes"
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1036 on: June 15, 2011, 09:51:47 pm »

I normally think of Dad Rock as like the easy-listening version of classic rock. Like Kansas and Chicago and Boston and other place-name bands.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1037 on: June 15, 2011, 10:09:08 pm »

Boston is easy listening?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1038 on: June 16, 2011, 01:20:24 am »

no, it's the easy-listening version of classic rock.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1039 on: June 16, 2011, 02:23:35 am »

Hmmm.  Boston was like Arena Rock + Hi Tech Guitar Engineering.  Scholz got a lot of mileage out of the tone he invented.  His tunes weren't especially innovative, but I think he was a good and inventive arranger.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1040 on: June 16, 2011, 03:01:28 am »

I'm not saying that they are bad. Just that they are really easy to listen to... inoffensive. They are like that dang Journey song that every kid my age loves and plays at every party and sings along to.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1041 on: June 16, 2011, 06:47:52 am »

I like BNL and Dire Straits.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go find someone to tell about this hilarious email I read on my internet.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1042 on: June 16, 2011, 12:13:52 pm »

I'm not saying that they are bad. Just that they are really easy to listen to... inoffensive.

On the one hand I get this, on the other hand I want to say "Why is it better for something to be hard to listen to and offensive?"

(Not about Boston, I can never really remember who they are. But in general.)
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1043 on: June 16, 2011, 01:15:31 pm »

some people like abrasive tunes [[shrug]]
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1044 on: June 16, 2011, 03:04:40 pm »

Somewhere in here was a reference to Fat Bottom Girls being Southern Rock. Doing All Right sounds a bit like the Allman Brothers in parts.

All classic rock has moved into the easy listening category at this point. As Dan says, it's all inoffensive. It's driven Muzak out of business for the music of choice on the elevator and at the supermarket. So it goes.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1045 on: June 16, 2011, 05:23:41 pm »

It's driven Muzak out of business for the music of choice on the elevator and at the supermarket. So it goes.
Progress
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1046 on: June 16, 2011, 06:15:55 pm »

Quote
On the one hand I get this, on the other hand I want to say "Why is it better for something to be hard to listen to and offensive?"

(Not about Boston, I can never really remember who they are. But in general.)

I don't understand how many different ways I need to say this before you guys understand what I am saying. I don't care that it is inoffensive. I like plenty of pleasing, easy-to-listen-to music. I am just saying that it is easy to listen to.

Another issue comes in when easy to listen to becomes "bland pap" but I guess you guys are all getting towards retirement home age anyways. (I love you, kidding, kidding)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1047 on: June 16, 2011, 06:19:39 pm »

Seems like music could be "easy" to listen to in two different ways.  First because it's bland, inoffensive or unchallenging.  Second because it's very familiar. 

Most classic rock would fall into the second category these days, although there's certainly plenty that falls into both.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1048 on: June 17, 2011, 09:37:37 pm »

Seems like music could be "easy" to listen to in two different ways.  First because it's bland, inoffensive or unchallenging.  Second because it's very familiar. 

Most classic rock would fall into the second category these days, although there's certainly plenty that falls into both.

I think that speaks to a point I was trying to make earlier.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1049 on: June 18, 2011, 07:34:06 am »

At a certain point I thought I liked Eminem a lot. That ended pretty fast, but this little part of this song freaks me out.
shoobadiiiooobap, and christopher reeves! What a weird rhythm. I wish he would do more of this weirdo stuff instead of like... fucked up homophobic/misogynistic stuff, "I'm deep and clever, listen to me" stuff, etc.

Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 190   Go Up