Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood It's National Johnny Cash Raise Hell Awareness Saturday Night. Go out and Fuck Shit Up in a Way That You Believe In!

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 380381 times)

0 Members and 59 Guests are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1051 on: June 18, 2011, 06:05:26 pm »

Dang, that is good.  I'm still kicking myself that I missed them when they played in my neighborhood about a month ago.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1052 on: June 18, 2011, 09:04:36 pm »

I was just listening to my old friend Gloria May singing in Ojibwe.  It's a beautiful song, and I sang this with her every night for a month on stage (in a group) almost a decade ago.  Gloria calls herself a "cyclops beauty" because only one of her eyes works.  It's a pretty weird world when a lady you know lives most of her life really traditionally, in a teepee and the whole deal, is on YouTube singing her heart out.  Then again, I know she had a satellite disk hooked up to her teepee, so I guess she's always been a bit post-modern in her take on traditional living.  She writes these weird, rambling posts on Facebook that I really enjoy too.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1053 on: June 18, 2011, 10:23:38 pm »

I was just listening to my old friend Gloria May singing in Ojibwe.

That melody, it's so familiar.  It reminds me of a certain pop song, but I can't put my finger on it.  Hold on, it'll come to me.

Is it Seagull?  Hmm... No
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1054 on: June 19, 2011, 04:53:45 pm »

new black lips is fuck*ng sick

seeing them this week whoo

Saw them last night, fuck*ng great. New album is so good. So good. Opening band sucked though.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1055 on: June 19, 2011, 08:19:51 pm »

At least their name is coolishly offensive?

Also, I'm seeing them tonight- I wonder how many bands you and I have seen a day apart- probably a lot.  Did they play the drop I hold?  I am gonna be yelling for that song so hard.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 09:55:11 pm by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1056 on: June 20, 2011, 03:46:43 am »

Yeah, it's too bad the name couldn't belong to a better band.

I'm always optimistic if I see Denver in a tour schedule, but you guys definitely get more shows. Cass McCombs is playing there later this summer, but nothing scheduled here yet.

I've only listened to that album like twice (hadn't heard it before you uploaded it) and I'm terrible with song names, and I was more than a little fucked up last night, so I really couldn't tell you. Just listened to it and they may have, but not sure.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 01:51:45 pm by miles »
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1057 on: June 20, 2011, 03:47:18 am »

I saw a shit-ton of local bands this time home: Decliners (again), Minty Rosa, The Food, Muddy River Nightmare Band, and Don't (again). All of them were excellent, and I think I'm going to try to have The Food play at my birthday party. On the other hand, there was a band that was just like all those Irish punk bands that don't sound like the Pogues, and another one that was like . . . . I don't know, one of those bands that is supposed to me so intense that they are scary? They both sucked.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1058 on: June 20, 2011, 07:57:28 am »

For some reason all of the "Irish" stuff just drives me up the wall.

I may talk a harsh game on here, but the whole "we're a band who does a really repetitive "Irish" rhythm and integrates shitty electric guitar in with traditional instruments, and sings about getting wasted and everything has that really forced emotional feeling" thing just drives me nuts more than anything else except maybe lady gaga blaring in my ear at work.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1059 on: June 20, 2011, 03:39:34 pm »

Yeah, the irish fakey protest bullshit that's all singing about getting drunk? Yeah, the Pogues, and then we don't need the rest of you idiots. You aren't in the IRA, you went to Boston College and you're an asshole.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1060 on: June 20, 2011, 04:11:42 pm »

Which bands exactly are we talking about?  I'm not sure I've heard any of them (thankfully).  But I must say, if those bands suck, is it because they are playing Irish music or because they would suck no matter what they were playing?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1061 on: June 20, 2011, 04:52:56 pm »

I was very confused the first time I heard the actual music of the Pogues after years of hearing people talk about them. I didn't quite understand how they're different from the Irish groups that I heard in my long ago folkie days, as far as actual music as opposed to, like, the company they kept or the attitude they liked to project. But I figured that mentioning this would spoil the Pogues for other people, so I kept quiet.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1062 on: June 20, 2011, 05:06:59 pm »

Which bands exactly are we talking about? 

Flogging Molly?  Carbon Leaf?
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1063 on: June 20, 2011, 05:17:19 pm »

The first band that comes to mind for me is Dropkick Murphys. It occurs to me that I've sort of over-indulged in the "your favorite band sucks" here, so I apologize for that. That band really annoys me for some reason, though - and there are others, but I'll leave it there. (They do seem like they are actually good people, though.)
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1064 on: June 20, 2011, 05:32:40 pm »

all of these bands.

there is a similar thread with bands like Uncle Tupelo. Let's take this folk/country music we like, and then put pop-punk guitar over it! We'll sing songs only about really stereotypical topics of that genre!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 190   Go Up