Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Terrible dream where Bobby Flay came to my childhood home, danced on the table, recited verse, and we had nothing interesting for him to do.

Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 382207 times)

0 Members and 62 Guests are viewing this topic.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1065 on: June 20, 2011, 07:36:05 pm »

Which bands exactly are we talking about?  I'm not sure I've heard any of them (thankfully).  But I must say, if those bands suck, is it because they are playing Irish music or because they would suck no matter what they were playing?

dropkick murphys
flogging molly
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1066 on: June 20, 2011, 08:23:01 pm »

there is a similar thread with bands like Uncle Tupelo. Let's take this folk/country music we like, and then put pop-punk guitar over it! We'll sing songs only about really stereotypical topics of that genre!

I'm assuming Uncle Tupelo are the Pogues of that genre.

I was very confused the first time I heard the actual music of the Pogues after years of hearing people talk about them. I didn't quite understand how they're different from the Irish groups that I heard in my long ago folkie days, as far as actual music as opposed to, like, the company they kept or the attitude they liked to project. But I figured that mentioning this would spoil the Pogues for other people, so I kept quiet.

That was my reaction as well.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1067 on: June 20, 2011, 08:34:48 pm »

I'm assuming Uncle Tupelo are the Pogues of that genre.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1068 on: June 20, 2011, 09:24:14 pm »

I agree re: Dropkick Murphys and how The Pogues are better than everyone else who ever tried to do a thing. But Flogging Molly aren't that bad, are they?

Murphys used to be okay in small doses, but they are definitely harder to take in the era of Patriots/Red Sox/Bruins.

Pretty sure they're good people, though.
Logged

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1069 on: June 20, 2011, 10:04:11 pm »

the best things about the dropkick murphys, AFAIC:

-their name is badass
-they did a cover of "who is who" by the adolescents(here) that is at least not terrible, if it isnt full-on good.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1070 on: June 21, 2011, 07:17:04 am »

The best thing about dropkick murphys is that they do good things - volunteering for the cause, taking care of the downtrodden, etc. The worst thing is that when they aren't helping out, they're making music.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1071 on: June 22, 2011, 04:10:43 am »

Buddy Holly covers album, streamed. No, no - don't shy away. There's some good shit there.

Sadly, I went to look up "It's So Easy" on the wiki to see who all had covered it, and the default result is the GnR song, not the Buddy Holly song. For that you have to go to the disambiguation page. Do not like.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1072 on: June 22, 2011, 04:22:53 am »

I listened to Lou Reed's Peggy Sue the other day and thought it was terrible. I stopped there. I'll give the rest of it a shot.

Buddy Holly was one of my first musical obsessions as a young boy, so basically you don't fuck with Buddy Holly.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1073 on: June 22, 2011, 05:11:49 am »

I listened to Lou Reed's Peggy Sue the other day and thought it was terrible. I stopped there.

This is what it looks like when I do that. Sorry, Lou.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1074 on: June 23, 2011, 05:42:39 am »

I'm listening to this.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1075 on: June 23, 2011, 11:45:52 am »

I haven't started it yet, but soon I will be listening to this podcast on Split Enz, and I am pretty well excited about it I can tell you.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1076 on: June 23, 2011, 03:56:41 pm »

I saw the Split Enz back around 1980 or so.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1077 on: June 24, 2011, 07:19:03 am »

I saw the Split Enz back around 1980 or so.
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1078 on: June 24, 2011, 08:00:20 am »

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Is it better or worse for you that I wasn't really that into them and don't remember much about the show. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1079 on: June 25, 2011, 02:50:19 am »

Is it better or worse for you that I wasn't really that into them and don't remember much about the show. 

It's about as good as my other friend who saw the Clash around London Calling/Sandanista! because someone he was in school with wanted to go, and he just stood in the back against the wall thinking "these fuckers aren't Kraftwerk at all".

In other words, I can't measure it, but I can't even be happy for you.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 190   Go Up