Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Barely passed Oregon driver's test. Lots of rules about Yielding to the Distraught and slow-moving salmon trucks on one-way switchbacks.

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 379845 times)

0 Members and 52 Guests are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1125 on: August 25, 2011, 02:19:25 am »

Yeah but Matthew Sweet's video had Japanese animation back when it was still kind of a freaky alien thing instead of just something you get into because you're in denial that you're a furry.

Which is fuckin' awesome.

There's no doubt that Macca's actual SONG is better.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1126 on: August 25, 2011, 07:49:41 am »

What is with you people?  I was totally ready to go to the mat for McCartney.  Ha ha...
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1127 on: August 25, 2011, 07:59:31 am »

I don't really like him beyond the Beatles era other than Band on the Run, that song is cool. But like, what, are we going to argue about his compositional style?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1128 on: August 25, 2011, 07:23:41 pm »

You take that back.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1129 on: August 26, 2011, 03:35:24 am »

I don't really like him beyond the Beatles era other than Band on the Run, that song is cool. But like, what, are we going to argue about his compositional style?

Did everyone see the White House deal where Dave Grohl played that song? So sweet.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1130 on: August 26, 2011, 04:03:26 am »

Did everyone see the White House deal where Dave Grohl played that song? So sweet.

fuck yes!  i saw that and it was VERY sweet.

i practically had a crush on dave grohl when i was in my late teens and early 20s. 
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1131 on: August 26, 2011, 04:37:02 am »

I have it on the DVR. I like McCartney but jesus they picked some fucked songs to cover. We Can Work It Out and Blackbird were good, though. I think the Stevie White House thing was better.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1132 on: August 26, 2011, 06:32:05 am »

My favorite part of that was Jack White's Mother Natures Son/That Would be Something.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1133 on: August 26, 2011, 06:49:54 pm »

Today I am streaming Richard Cheese's new release.

Also, I liked the Jack White deal, but . . . well, it doesn't surprise me that he would choose that song to play at all, but I wish he had played something he could have cut loose on. I guess I should be content - I've seen him live like six times or something, and he's ripped it up plenty. Maybe I'm just greedy. I did really like Grohl shredding at the White House and talking about when he was growing up in DC and being in shitty little clubs. That was fun.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1134 on: August 26, 2011, 07:26:33 pm »

All I want to listen to is this song over and over and over.
Every once in a while I throw in this one for good measure.

The moment when the beat comes in after all of that sax solo just makes me want to die. You need some real bass capabilities to get the full effect, my computer speakers don't cut it.

I really need someone who knows from music theory to teach me about how rhythm works. I can't tell a quarter note from an eighth note, I can't tell when something is in 3/4, and don't even ask me about polyrhythms. I can imitate the rhythm of a song and strum it on my guitar, but that is as far as it goes. When I try to write it down, I end up thinking everything is the same. Especially if it is syncopated at all.


No one is responding to my craigslist postings where I basically say "I want to start Creedence Krautrock Revival." Damn. Just be in a band where we jam weirdly on Creedence songs. You can't tell me you don't want to just endlessly play this rhythm riff.
Where the "krautrock" element is my dumb-ass bad at guitar version. I just want to play one riff over and over again and then play a stupid noisy solo over it.


So I guess what I'm saying is, I have transitioned from "songs should be 2:00 long" to "songs should be 15:00 long, but just repeat one or two 10 second riffs for the whole duration."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1135 on: August 26, 2011, 07:46:56 pm »

Today I am streaming Richard Cheese's new release.

richard cheese is hella funny and rad.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1136 on: August 26, 2011, 11:32:04 pm »

richard cheese is hella funny and rad.

We saw him in Vegas new year's eve a few years ago. It was awesome. Then we saw him in Portland, and it was pretty good. He can be pretty rude live, in a fun way.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1137 on: August 27, 2011, 01:36:14 am »

We saw him in Vegas new year's eve a few years ago. It was awesome. Then we saw him in Portland, and it was pretty good. He can be pretty rude live, in a fun way.

thats why i dig him.  he is legitimately talented AND he helps me indulge the part of my sense of humor thats still in middle school.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1138 on: August 27, 2011, 02:53:39 am »

I can't tell when something is in 3/4

If you feel like waltzing when you hear it then it is in 3/4. That is the extent of my musical knowledge.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1139 on: August 27, 2011, 03:06:42 am »

So I guess what I'm saying is, I have transitioned from "songs should be 2:00 long" to "songs should be 15:00 long, but just repeat one or two 10 second riffs for the whole duration."

When you transition to songs should be whatever length makes the most sense for that particular song we'll have something to talk about.

Thanks for the Creedence and the Fela Kuti.  That was a hell of a jam.

I can't tell when something is in 3/4

In a time signature the top number is the number of beats per measure and the second number tells the length of the beat.  a 4 represents a quarter note.  So your standard 4/4 time is four beats per measure and a quarter note is one beat. This is the most common time signature, and probably 99.9 percent of rock and roll.  I can't even think off the top of my head of a rock song in 3/4 time.  I'll get back to you.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 190   Go Up