Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Italian food is like pornography. I can’t define it, but I know when I have paid too much.

Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 380457 times)

0 Members and 62 Guests are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1155 on: August 28, 2011, 09:55:13 pm »

Toads of the Short Forest.

Jump to two minutes in if you don't want to listen to the whole thing.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1156 on: August 29, 2011, 03:24:19 am »

yeah, when I try to count along to songs to figure out what time signature they are in, my ADD brain starts paying attention to a weird drum fill or something and i get confused.

I participated in some psych experiments in college, and what I took away from them was that I have an unbelievably small working memory.

I love this song in 5/4 a whole lot. The wimpy vocals are a thing I have less tolerance for these days, but those drums! All of the false climaxes before the real climax!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1157 on: August 29, 2011, 03:38:09 am »

Toads of the Short Forest.

I bought this album when I was about 14 based entirely on the name and cover art.  This was probably not long after seeing Zappa kick ass on SNL.  I am the Slime from the video... And I had almost certainly heard don't eat the yellow snow by this point.  Loved it.

So I put the record on with great anticipation and... what the fuck is this bullshit?  
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1158 on: August 29, 2011, 11:01:21 pm »

I love this song in 5/4 a whole lot. The wimpy vocals are a thing I have less tolerance for these days, but those drums! All of the false climaxes before the real climax!

I love this song so much. But I think it's 4/4? I believe Breadcrumb Trail is 7/4, and Nosferatu Man is 5/4. I'm having trouble with Good Morning, Captain. I want to say 4/4 but I feel like I'm missing something.

It's entirely possible I'm wrong on all counts.

Edit: I did that unintentionally.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 11:15:11 pm by miles »
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1159 on: August 30, 2011, 12:15:56 am »

Still earns you a can.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1160 on: August 30, 2011, 03:27:24 am »

I bought this album when I was about 14 based entirely on the name and cover art.  This was probably not long after seeing Zappa kick ass on SNL.  I am the Slime from the video... And I had almost certainly heard don't eat the yellow snow by this point.  Loved it.

So I put the record on with great anticipation and... what the fuck is this bullshit?  

Yeah, that's still a pretty inaccessable album to me.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1161 on: August 30, 2011, 06:28:28 am »

ok, so, the start of this song is in 3/4? Or is it 4/4 with a weird rest at the end? The more I listen, the more I think it's the second.

The chorus part is definitely in 4/4 with a weird pause.

(the rest of this album was super boring, if I remember correctly.)

I swear I read somewhere that that Slint song was 5/4, but now the entry on wikipedia is gone. Hmm. Well, anyway, cool song.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1162 on: September 01, 2011, 03:41:12 am »

OK guys, help me figure out who I am thinking of. I heard this great interview on NPR with a guy who was buddies with The Eagles and Jackson Browne and Bonnie Raitt back in the day in LA. He talked about living in the apartment above Jackson Browne and wanting to murder him for playing the same songs over and over. He had written several songs I recognized from my dad's record collection, and he just released a new CD of him playing his own versions of all of these songs he wrote that other bands made famous. He had one big hit in the early 70s, it was something about empty love or jealous love.

Anyway, it was pretty and I wanted to pass it on to my dad.

This is, on the one hand, so good. On the other hand, it has so many stylistic things that I hate. Hmm.

Lately I am realizing that my musical tastes are a lot more similar to my dad's than I realize. I definitely get my love for countryish vocal harmonies from him.

Please punch me if I start talking about how great James Taylor is.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1163 on: September 01, 2011, 03:54:18 am »

OK guys, help me figure out who I am thinking of.

JD Souther?

Quote
Lately I am realizing that my musical tastes are a lot more similar to my dad's than I realize. I definitely get my love for countryish vocal harmonies from him.

Please punch me if I start talking about how great James Taylor is.

Me too. Both on having similar tastes and the country vocal harmonies things.

But I can't stand James Taylor or the Eagles for some reason.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1164 on: September 01, 2011, 03:55:47 am »

Yes! Awesome.

Man, the more I look into this, the Eagles songs that I find strangely appealing are all Jackson Browne songs. Cool.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1165 on: September 01, 2011, 03:56:10 am »

Yeah, JD Souther. Here's the interview: http://www.npr.org/2011/08/30/140060852/j-d-souther-a-natural-history-of-songwriting

Pretty rad, thanks for the tip.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1166 on: September 01, 2011, 04:04:08 am »

Man, the more I look into this, the Eagles songs that I find strangely appealing are all Jackson Browne songs. Cool.

Exactly.

There are two songs by the Eagles not written by someone else that I love: Desperado and Tequila Sunrise.

I can't find the video, but this version of Desperado from In America fuck*ng kills me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwAnqkX0wtE

Also this of course: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7CKDnKWhJU
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1167 on: September 01, 2011, 04:04:53 am »

Best thing about the Eagles for me is Joe Walsh.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1168 on: September 01, 2011, 04:09:57 am »

JD Sou... Oh, you've already been told.

The only thing I don't like about the Eagles is how overplayed they are.  It's over 30 years since they've put out an album and they are still out there flogging that dead hoss.

But I really like their music.  On this, me and the Dude disagree.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1169 on: September 01, 2011, 04:23:02 am »

yeah, I am open to the possibility that my hatred for this kind of music is based on my dad playing these albums loudly in our house every weekend as far back as I can remember. And telling me, this is GREAT music, this is what good music sounds like. Sure, you like that Ramones, but listen to THIS.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 190   Go Up