Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood Would The Pet Shop Boys be nice to have over for Thanksgiving, or would they be a pain in the ass? It's really hard to tell.

Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 381152 times)

0 Members and 59 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1170 on: September 01, 2011, 04:35:18 am »

yeah, I am open to the possibility that my hatred for this kind of music is based on my dad playing these albums loudly in our house every weekend as far back as I can remember. And telling me, this is GREAT music, this is what good music sounds like. Sure, you like that Ramones, but listen to THIS.

Well, in his defense, he might be a little bit defensive.  The Eagles and Ramones were contemporaries and the Ramones were part of that movement that was all about being a wake up call to a bloated rock and roll scene.  I guess The Eagles were probably one of the biggest targets of that rhetoric.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1171 on: September 01, 2011, 04:43:54 am »

That was not really an accurate portrayal of my dad. I just used the Ramones as an example, I don't know if he ever said that exact thing. But he teases me about listening to things he has never heard of.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1172 on: September 03, 2011, 01:36:04 pm »

My dad and Inev's dad probably like a lot of the same stuff. Except the Eagles, I guess.

Ghost - Here Comes the Sun
Logged

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1173 on: September 05, 2011, 02:38:41 am »

Wardruna - Hagall

Droney, pagany. I like it.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1174 on: September 05, 2011, 05:36:03 am »

Right this second, Sly and the Fuckin' Family Stone.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1175 on: September 07, 2011, 12:07:25 am »

me and mia(live studio acoustic)-ted leo

"do you beleive in something beautiful?  get up and be it."
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1176 on: September 07, 2011, 01:37:24 am »

The upcoming Girls album is streaming here: http://hypem.com/artist/GIRLS

I like it quite a bit. I love the last track. There's this awesome organ bit near the end.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1177 on: September 16, 2011, 05:40:38 am »

syke! life is awesome!-bomb the music industry

[linky fix]
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 05:58:24 am by Asherdan »
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1178 on: September 26, 2011, 07:41:48 pm »

Please punch me if I start talking about how great James Taylor is.

Belatedly: I will do this for you.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1179 on: September 26, 2011, 07:43:38 pm »

Oingo Boingo Dark at the End of the Tunnel. How did I not already have this album? And why couldn't Danny Elfman stay 35 years old forever? I guess it's because he sold his soul to the devil for the ability to write magically catchy tunes instead of for eternal youth.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1180 on: September 26, 2011, 07:48:25 pm »

Right this second, Sly and the Fuckin' Family Stone.

Sly is now living in a van.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1181 on: September 26, 2011, 09:16:35 pm »

So much Dead Kennedy's.  It's been a while since I tried to listen to them.  I didn't get it before but man, those surf/spaghetti elements.  Man.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1182 on: September 26, 2011, 10:12:45 pm »

Ryan Adams has a new album (streaming at NPR).
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1183 on: September 27, 2011, 06:43:54 am »

I guess everything I post on here is kind of the same, but lately I am digging Mikal Cronin's new album. I really like the opening track and a few others.

Ty Segall took Thee Oh Sees and added a lot more hooks and less weird jamming. Mikal Cronin is like Ty with... kind of generic indie-ish singing and melodies. I like it, but later on in the album it gets boring.

Lately all of my friends are starting bands. Trying to find people to play with me. Posted a Craiglist Ad (CREEDENCE KRAUTROCK REVIVAL) that got a lot of good responses, but having the confidence to actually meet up with these people and play is rough. Also, finding someplace where we can play.

I meant for the gimmicky title to get people's attention and kind of say "hey we like a variety of music and want to just kind of screw around and see what happens." Instead, I am getting responses from people who want to start a band where we play Creedence covers in the style of Can.

One of my roommates was a business student, and he really wants to start a business. He is talking a lot about how we need to start a record label, and is treating this like a real project that we should work on. I think it is difficult to start a record label unless there are bands that we know/good bands in the city in general. There are plenty of bands I enjoy seeing, but honestly, not any that I would press on a record and put my seal of approval on.
Maybe we need to be like Gandhi says, and be the band we want to see in the world.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 01:37:00 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1184 on: September 27, 2011, 01:09:31 pm »

  I didn't get it before but man, those surf/spaghetti elements. 

I have no idea what this means, and I am not going to go listen to them, because the reality can only be a disappointment.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 190   Go Up