Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Is eaten food technically rotting inside you? It's pretty warm in there. Technically, we all not only live in, but *are* "the danger zone."

Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 380835 times)

0 Members and 54 Guests are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1185 on: September 27, 2011, 06:30:43 pm »

Maybe we need to be like Gandhi says, and be the band we want to see in the world.

You are pretty awesome for this. Can.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1187 on: October 01, 2011, 05:37:27 am »

Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1188 on: October 03, 2011, 02:48:10 pm »

live mr bungle cover cover of "superstition" by stevie wonder that magically turns into a cover of "rapture" by blondie

There are a fuckload of crazy covers in there by Mr. Bungle. If I was cooler, I'd be Mike Patton and cover shit left and right. That guy is a stone freak, but I think he is doing music the right way.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1189 on: October 04, 2011, 03:35:00 am »

Got the new Neon Indian album on repeat a bit lately.

I wanted to link 'Arcade Blues' up there, but they don't have it on youtube.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1190 on: October 04, 2011, 05:09:54 am »

Been hearing good things about them Doc.  I like that.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1191 on: October 04, 2011, 05:18:22 am »

If you like that track I'd comfortably recommend it. I went through a phase of listening to a lot of chip-tunes earlier this year but found them for the most part too rough and 8bit-ish, this rubs the same itch but in a more mellow way.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1192 on: October 04, 2011, 05:26:12 am »

I saw Neon Indian at this thing that I frequently want to mention, if only because it was the height of any hipster cred I can claim--- free secret show in Brooklyn that I got on the guest list for. Neon Indian, Designer Drugs, Almighty Defenders (the only performers I actually cared about seeing), some other band I can't even remember. Open bar, that was the important thing. And me and my friend convinced these drunk girls we were in a band.

I think Neon Indian is the kind of thing that is not good live, because it's just a guy on a stage tweaking knobs.


A girl I know is in this video! The coolest record promoter is clearly the one who openly tells you she hates being a record promoter, and quits to go to Anthropology grad school. Too bad she is in a video for his new, boring album.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1193 on: October 04, 2011, 01:00:28 pm »

I think Neon Indian is the kind of thing that is not good live, because it's just a guy on a stage tweaking knobs.

I felt the same way about the hip hop acts at this festival I was at a couple of weekends ago.  None of the hip hop dudes had bands, just a dj so It was just a couple of dudes prowling the stage barking into a mic.  I want to see people playing instruments.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1194 on: October 15, 2011, 03:53:41 pm »

Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1195 on: October 17, 2011, 01:31:57 am »

So I just heard Radiohead for the first time, on Colbert. This is something I have somehow managed to avoid, and apparently just as well. From the evidence of this one song, they are the worst kind of These Kids Today Pretending It's The Sixties band, which is the type that is trying to sound like the late Beatles. Been there, done that, didn't like it that much the first time around.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1196 on: October 17, 2011, 01:53:28 am »

OMG they were doing a whole HOUR of this show with Radiohead. I tried to listen to their second song for the sake of cultural education but it was unbearable.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1197 on: October 17, 2011, 02:15:57 am »

This is a thing that is really interesting to me. Sometimes people describe bands in ways that make no sense to me. It is definitely something about what I pay attention to. I would describe radiohead as mostly annoying "noise" guitar with dumb whining over it. But you hear the Beatles. Maybe this new stuff is so different.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1198 on: October 17, 2011, 02:54:55 am »

The second song definitely started out with annoying guitar and then vocals so annoying that they made me leap for the remote control, so perhaps that one was more Traditional Radiohead.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1199 on: October 17, 2011, 03:06:58 am »

holy crap, I totally hear it.
I am always blown away by this. I don't know if I ever would have thought Radiohead sounded at all like the Beatles if someone hadn't said this to me.

The one example of this that I will never understand is people who say Nirvana "just sounds like the pixies." Friends of mine who are not otherwise idiots say this constantly. What are the defining elements of the Pixies' sound?
To me:
1. weird rhythms
2. weird surf lead
3. acoustic rhythm guitar
4. singing in Spanish
5. lady backing vocals
6. the loud/quiet/loud thing

Of those 6, only one of them has anything to do with Nirvana. And it is a thing that tons of other bands do.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 190   Go Up