Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Today's Kim Jong-il Fact™: North Korean state media reports that Kim routinely shoots three or four holes-in-one per round. (Wikipedia)

Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 381880 times)

0 Members and 68 Guests are viewing this topic.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1200 on: October 17, 2011, 03:14:19 am »

I'm with you on the whining, but never thought of Radiohead as a noise guitar band.

Not sure if I get the Beatles thing either though.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1201 on: October 17, 2011, 03:16:40 am »

6. the loud/quiet/loud thing

Of those 6, only one of them has anything to do with Nirvana. And it is a thing that tons of other bands do.

it's the one of the six that they made revelatory, if i can get away with saying that. and i'm funk as druck so i hope i can. loud/quiet/loud existed before nirvana but it wasn't a thing, kurt made it a thing, and a million bands followed
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1202 on: October 17, 2011, 03:34:21 am »

I think the Nirvana/Pixies thing partly comes from Smells Like Teen Spirit kinda sounding like U-Mass, which I've heard a lot before from lots of people but would have to be coincidental. I think Kurt also admitted that songs like Debaser were a huge influence on Nevermind and, though I might be making this up, that he wanted Albini to produce (sorry, engineer) In Utero because of his work on Surfer Rosa. You're right that the two bands are mostly different but where they are similar, it's pretty striking. And again, I think Kurt encouraged the comparison.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1203 on: October 17, 2011, 03:39:49 am »

it's the one of the six that they made revelatory, if i can get away with saying that. and i'm funk as druck so i hope i can. loud/quiet/loud existed before nirvana but it wasn't a thing, kurt made it a thing, and a million bands followed

I think Inev is saying that loud/quiet/loud is the only thing that Nirvana had in common with the Pixies. There's probably little doubt that Nirvana is the band that made it a thing, but why would that mean that they sound just like the Pixies.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1204 on: October 17, 2011, 03:41:58 am »

ah, I don't see any similarity most of the time.

Except: Smells Like Teen Spirit is pretty similar to Debaser. Definitely.

The song by another band that reminds me the most of Pixies is this.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1205 on: October 17, 2011, 04:23:37 am »

The song by another band that reminds me the most of Pixies is this.

That's an interesting take on things.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1206 on: October 17, 2011, 04:28:17 am »

Yeah, I kinda hear it. When I first clicked the link and heard the song in my head, I thought you were fuck*ng crazy. But listening to it a lot of the guitar is similar. And of course the Spanish singing and they also mention Andalusia.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1207 on: October 17, 2011, 05:55:54 am »

I've always thought that Radiohead had a strong affinity towards the Beatles.  They have a couple of songs that I think are directly influenced by the Beatles.  Karma Police is similar both sonically and thematically to Sexy Sadie.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1208 on: October 17, 2011, 06:51:38 am »

Ok, I've watched the whole program.  Wow, that was awesome.  So good.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1209 on: October 17, 2011, 12:30:28 pm »

When I was falling asleep I had "Across the Universe" stuck in my head, and I hadn't listened to any music since I turned off that program.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1210 on: October 17, 2011, 05:11:00 pm »

Thanks Wombat for bringing that program to my attention.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1211 on: October 18, 2011, 04:38:32 am »

New Tom Waits. Word.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1212 on: October 19, 2011, 01:10:42 am »

rockin canucks!

dirty town-mother mother
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1213 on: October 19, 2011, 02:01:40 am »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1214 on: October 22, 2011, 06:12:33 am »

A friend of mine, a young guy, maybe 20 years old posted a pic on Facebook earlier this evening of his latest vinyl purchase of A Night at the Opera.  This has kinda sent me into a Queen listening binge that has yet to end.

Oh my god how could I have forgotten how awesome is The Prophet's Song!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 190   Go Up