This is an ep that I have been listening to incessantly since it came out last year. It's from a friend of mine from England, a fantastic photographer who I know via Flickr.
I'm absolutely in love with these four songs. I'd like to get your opinion because I might be losing perspective. I mean, is it really good for amateur musicians/university students or is it, as I am starting to believe, Nick Drake good.
It's very good.
Pretty good. The vocalist really reminds me of Joni Mitchell a lot, especially back on the Clouds album on Mitchell's song
Both Sides Now.
The thing listening to simple guitar-based folk music makes me think of is this set of lyrics from Fuel, by Ani Difranco:
People used to make records
As in a record of an event
The event of people playing music in a room
Now everything is cross-marketing
Its about sunglasses and shoes
Or guns and drugs
You choose
Somewhat cynical, I know, but it hits the nail on the head for me in this case. When you can actually hear a musician's fingers sliding on the strings from chord to chord, there's an intimacy there, a feeling of being almost present in the room. That sort of immediacy and authenticity is what draws me to folk music for sure.