Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Today's sad thing: A reeking tweaker couple looking in the gas station freezer for "that pizza that was good in the microwave last time."

Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 380935 times)

0 Members and 47 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1275 on: November 22, 2011, 07:33:14 am »

Lately I have been listening to myself play Electric Funeral.

Now I am too.  Well, not you playing it, but you know, Sabbath.  I'd like to hear you play it.  Post a vid.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1276 on: November 22, 2011, 08:31:48 pm »

I need a touch more practice yet.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1277 on: November 22, 2011, 10:33:35 pm »

I used to play that song in this one band when we were kids.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1278 on: November 23, 2011, 02:32:07 am »

ghost with a boner-Diarrhea Planet
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1279 on: November 23, 2011, 03:28:40 am »

ghost with a boner-Diarrhea Planet

This is one of those cases where I don't care which is the band name and which is the song title.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1280 on: November 23, 2011, 06:33:17 am »

I have seen Diarhhea planet. Why are they called that? They are kind of fun but mostly silly. Something like 5 guitars on stage.

There is a particular Thing in music that I am really into right now, and I cannot figure out how to explain it, or what it is exactly that is happening.

It definitely has to do with a transition from a verse with a really straight beat to a chorus with really wash-y chords.

Also present here. I know there is some fantastic 60s garage rock song that I am forgetting that has this going on. As well as, of course, every shoegaze band doing those washy chords for the entirety of every song.

I know this is not an opinion most people share, but Rubber Soul is probably my favorite Beatles album. Probably because I am a sucker for genre exercises (although the White Album has a lot of those too).
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1281 on: November 23, 2011, 04:51:51 pm »


I know this is not an opinion most people share, but Rubber Soul is probably my favorite Beatles album. Probably because I am a sucker for genre exercises (although the White Album has a lot of those too).

I used to be more of a White Album/Sgt. Pepper's type of guy, but in recent years Rubber Soul and Revolver have become my two favorite Beatles ablums.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1282 on: November 23, 2011, 05:00:21 pm »

I know what you are describing.  Here's another good example.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1283 on: November 23, 2011, 06:15:12 pm »

YEAH!

It is totally an "opening up" of the musical space. Going from a tight beat and simple repetitive melody to a much looser beat (lots of cymbals and stuff) and a soaring melody. I always feel slightly like I am falling.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1284 on: November 26, 2011, 09:29:22 am »

jeezes christ.  this thread has like 30 pages I haven't read.  fuck*ng achewood.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1285 on: November 26, 2011, 04:08:34 pm »

jeezes christ.  this thread has like 30 pages I haven't read.  fuck*ng achewood.

I'm currently listening the the "Welcome Back, robot_god" theme.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1286 on: December 02, 2011, 03:09:51 am »

I thought I should mention in case anyone was concerned about wombat's Bruce Springsteen addiction: I am cured. Now all I listen to is Oingo Boingo.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1287 on: December 02, 2011, 04:27:31 am »

after several years of having a reference to one of their albums as my twitter handle, I am finally listening to the DB's DBs Stands For Decibels. I am a fan.

They are from North Carolina! This song is such a silly 60s thing but I like it.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1288 on: December 02, 2011, 12:42:04 pm »

You know how I was saying what torture it is to know that I was alive to have seen them in concert but didn't know about them? Like, I even have to resist the impulse to torture myself further - I know that I took at least one trip to So.California in the 90s and I am trying not to look up the exact dates and see if they were playing concerts then...  But I realized that this has a bright side. A new Bruce Springsteen album is coming out soon and you know what - when a group is dead, you don't have to go through that thing where you are waiting with trepidation to see if their next album is the one where they finally aren't good anymore.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1289 on: December 02, 2011, 03:04:29 pm »

Bon Iver is this year's Arcade Fire. Discuss.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 190   Go Up