Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Education.

Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 379771 times)

0 Members and 55 Guests are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1290 on: December 02, 2011, 05:22:48 pm »

I don't know for Bon Iver but when I think Arcade Fire I think "inconsistent but occasionally great and huge fuck*ng assholes".

Is this what Bon Iver are?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1291 on: December 02, 2011, 05:41:53 pm »

I am referring more to Arcade Fire's surprise Grammy win last year, and lots of people having no damn idea who they are.

This year, Bon Iver is up for Record and song of the year, and best new artisit (never mind that this is his/their second album). If he wins either of the first two, even more people will be all "Bon who? Bon Jovi? What?"

It is a hella pretty song though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWcyIpul8OE
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1292 on: December 02, 2011, 07:01:40 pm »

You know how I was saying what torture it is to know that I was alive to have seen them in concert but didn't know about them? Like, I even have to resist the impulse to torture myself further - I know that I took at least one trip to So.California in the 90s and I am trying not to look up the exact dates and see if they were playing concerts then...  But I realized that this has a bright side. A new Bruce Springsteen album is coming out soon and you know what - when a group is dead, you don't have to go through that thing where you are waiting with trepidation to see if their next album is the one where they finally aren't good anymore.

Did I mention I went to Boise State University fall '93 to spring '96? That would be just after Built to Spill (a band I did not know existed until long after I graduated) formed . . . in Boise Idaho . . . and during the time that they released Ultimate Alternative Wavers and There's Nothing Wrong With Love. I probably missed a hundred shows by them, when they were playing for $5 a head, and I probably would have had Doug Martsch over to watch football games or some shit.

/not bitter
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1293 on: December 02, 2011, 07:36:10 pm »

Hell, you play guitar right?  Maybe you could be touring with them now...
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1294 on: December 02, 2011, 09:14:55 pm »

Hell, you play guitar right?  Maybe you could be touring with them now...

They already have twice as many guitarists as all the other instruments combined.

Edit: I either didn't parse that right or I am just stupid. Anyway, thanks again. Stop picking on me.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1295 on: December 03, 2011, 02:20:21 am »

You know what is the best thing about Oingo Boingo? Nearly every one of their songs is wickedly earwormy, but in a perfectly pleasant way. So they can be used to cure other earworms. I am sure this will be particularly useful in the Christmas music season.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1296 on: December 03, 2011, 02:31:20 am »

Plus they're just fun to say.

Oingo Boingo!
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1297 on: December 03, 2011, 02:34:08 pm »

holy SHIT.

so my friend Zak moved to Laramie, WY to be with his girlfriend who is in grad school there. He is a really talented finger-picking guitar player and singer, and has been recording this album. In high school/college he was in a band with his cousin that was really good. Definitely has a thing where he self-sabotages to avoid criticism (ie, "oh, whatever, I don't care, they're just demos"). He is one of those people who... you might imagine, being my friend, that he is some kind of hipster. But he is not. He is 100% all-american Weirdo. I am sad that he moved away and I wish I had gotten to know him better. He has an encyclopedic knowledge of classic blues, folk, and country music. A major soft spot for really flashy country from the 70s and 80s. Also a surprising love for 70s and 80s punk music. His radio show was the best ever. You always learned something new.

He also recorded stuff when he was THIRTEEN that has recently been played on WFMU, the coolest radio station on earth. He is one talented guy.

Anyway, here is his album. My first impression is that this is a lot sweeter than any of his other stuff.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1298 on: December 03, 2011, 03:29:55 pm »

I have not heard a single band referenced in this article, but it's still the funniest concert review ever.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/dont-fall-for-the-siren-rap-song-of-mac-miller-theres-better-music-out-there/2011/12/02/gIQAu9BXMO_story.html


Fixed link, maybe?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 05:02:27 pm by wombat »
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1299 on: December 03, 2011, 04:14:28 pm »

j'know what? I know this makes me lose all cred I have ever had, but I don't understand why I am supposed to hate Counting Crows so much.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1300 on: December 03, 2011, 04:32:02 pm »

so my friend Zak moved to Laramie, WY

Fugazi recently launched an online show archive. Sadly, one of the two shows I went to wasn't recorded, and the other one isn't yet available.

Anyway, turns out that they played Laramie twice, and the second time was at a place called Cowboy Bar. Fugazi not only played in all 50 states but also made attempts to play in cities that most bands won't even drive through so it shouldn't be surprising, except for the fact that they played at a place called Cowboy Bar in Laramie.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1301 on: December 03, 2011, 04:45:16 pm »

Fugazi recently launched an online show archive. Sadly, one of the two shows I went to wasn't recorded, and the other one isn't yet available.

Yeah, I'm really anxious to get the show I saw in Lancaster, but it's not available yet.
I also saw them at the amphitheater by the Washington Monument once. Didn't check to see if that's up yet.

Update: apparently that show wasn't even recorded. Booooooooooo!
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1302 on: December 03, 2011, 05:25:23 pm »

Update: apparently that show wasn't even recorded. Booooooooooo!

Tell me about it.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1303 on: December 03, 2011, 05:59:10 pm »

They played in Anchorage (unrecorded) while I was living in Boise. I had no idea that this even happened. They played in Boise twice, both recorded but not available (once three months before I got there, the other time while I was living there).
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1304 on: December 03, 2011, 11:33:21 pm »

Quote from: theinevitable
but I don't understand why I am supposed to hate Counting Crows so much.

I mean, I don't like 'em but they're hardly the worst thing out there.

I'd say they're lame and bland but not in any kind of offensive way, they're just kinda... there, inconsequentially crappy in a sea of far worse things.

Kinda like Padme in the Star Wars prequels. She's not exciting or well-defined or interesting or anything but when you put her up against whiny-ass Baby Darth Vader or Jar-Jar Binks, you're like "ah, her character is not helping matters but she isn't the one actively aggressively insulting my intelligence, she's kind of just normal bad."

The Counting Crows are kinda like that, they're just normal bad.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 190   Go Up