Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I got mad about Robert Fripp's "music" again. I need to go to bed.

Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 380692 times)

0 Members and 66 Guests are viewing this topic.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1305 on: December 04, 2011, 12:10:52 am »

adam duritz has a great voice, the problem with the band is the mediocre sound and writing. haters gonna hate
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1306 on: December 04, 2011, 03:05:48 am »

I liked the earlier Counting Crows stuff.  I always had the thought, really, on a street cred type level, if I wanted to dedicate myself to such a sort of sound, that the more hip thing to do would be to get into Van Morrison.  The thing is, I don't really like Van Morrison on enough of a level to put any energy into it.  "Long December" came out when I was in a dark depression after breaking up with my first love, and I had that song on repeat at the time.  Their first two albums were good comfort for depression actually.  After those two, I lost track of them, and then there was that awful song from the Shrek soundtrack that got some airplay and another song I can't recall that also got lots of attention.  I just remember thinking the lead singer must have gotten a scrip for some good antidepressants because the songs were peppy and shitty in equal parts, and that killed it for me.

Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1307 on: December 04, 2011, 06:49:47 am »

hm.

I trace my love for lo-fi shitty recordings to a "hidden" track on one of their albums. I heard the tossed off lo-fi semi-live version and then the real recorded version and decided that one was good and one was bad and that was IT as far as my taste in rock music goes.

I do not see the connection to Van Morrison. Could you expand on that?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1308 on: December 04, 2011, 08:36:25 am »

They had a song called Round Here that I liked a whole lot.  Otherwise I kinda found them mopey and depressing.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1309 on: December 04, 2011, 08:48:38 am »

round here was probably their mopiest and depressingest song
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1310 on: December 04, 2011, 10:05:37 am »

round here was probably their mopiest and depressingest song

For sure.  But that one worked.

I do not see the connection to Van Morrison. Could you expand on that?

Possibly because Morrison and Duritz have somewhat similar sounding voices and also Duritz sings sha la la la la on Mr Jones just like Morrison does on Brown Eyed girl. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1311 on: December 04, 2011, 02:31:57 pm »

j'know what? I know this makes me lose all cred I have ever had, but I don't understand why I am supposed to hate Counting Crows so much.

But isn't the great thing about that article that any one of us could replace all the band names in its with other band names to make it make sense? The sentiments are so universal. In fact, if we did it, no doubt someone else would respond "I don't understand why I am supposed to hate X so much."
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1312 on: December 04, 2011, 03:38:49 pm »

Bruce Springsteen?

I know I'm supposed to hate Van Morrison because he's an insufferable dick, but I still really like him.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1313 on: December 04, 2011, 05:51:10 pm »

Bruce Springsteen?

I know I'm supposed to hate Van Morrison because he's an insufferable dick, but I still really like him.

Van Morrison is really one of the best examples out there of the man and the music being completely mismatched temperamentally.

And to tie it all together, if you Google "Van Morrison insufferable dick" the top hit is something called "Counting Crows: Musical Poetry or Insufferable Garbage?"
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1314 on: December 04, 2011, 07:31:04 pm »

More troubling to me, I'm supposed to hate Elvis Costello because he's a racist.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1315 on: December 04, 2011, 08:42:50 pm »

Are we really still supposed to be hating him for a drunken bar brawl in 1979?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1316 on: December 04, 2011, 10:56:56 pm »

My dad doesn't like Neil Young as much ever since he yelled at my dad/the rest of the audience to stop rhythmically clapping during a song.

Does it make me a jerk that I can't imagine any Neil Young song sounding good with rhythmic clapping? I might be on Neil's side on this one.

"when I wrote this song, nobody was clapping."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1317 on: December 04, 2011, 11:54:36 pm »

Neil Young is definitely one of those rock and roll types who, while I love his music, I am pretty sure he would be an asshole to know in person.

Which is fine with me, actually. I buy his CDs not time with him drinkin' a beer, you know?

And he's honest about it, too, he's not trying to pretend he's a really nice guy because he believes that'll sell more product.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1318 on: December 05, 2011, 12:53:56 am »

"I don't understand why I am supposed to hate X so much."

What do you have against John Doe?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1319 on: December 05, 2011, 01:05:03 am »

Neil Young is definitely one of those rock and roll types who, while I love his music, I am pretty sure he would be an asshole to know in person.


I'm the exact opposite. I'm pretty sure Stephen Stills is a jackass, though.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 190   Go Up