Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
The tip jar is broken, but Wombat will entertain bribe offers, assuming she can find this edit screen again.

Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 379930 times)

0 Members and 52 Guests are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1320 on: December 05, 2011, 02:01:06 am »

Does it make me a jerk that I can't imagine any Neil Young song sounding good with rhythmic clapping? I might be on Neil's side on this one.
As a onetime percussionist, I learned that untrained persons can't keep time, especially crowds.  They inevitably speed up, which can be irritating to the musicians.

To wit:
How every percussionist feels when a mass of people try to clap a rhythm together
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 02:13:31 am by jaydub »
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1321 on: December 05, 2011, 09:16:15 am »

My dad doesn't like Neil Young as much ever since he yelled at my dad/the rest of the audience to stop rhythmically clapping during a song.

At first I thought you were referring to his Massey Hall recording, which is amazing by the way, but it turns out that I had misremembered.  He was actually scolding a photographer for clicking his shutter out of time.

Hmm... I can't quite remember, but I feel I have a recording of him stopping the song and telling the audience to not clap along.

Neil Young is definitely one of those rock and roll types who, while I love his music, I am pretty sure he would be an asshole to know in person.

I have a totally different opinion.  I feel he must be a really great person to know because he's so loyal both professionally and personally.  Hell, he's had the same guitar tech for almost 40 years. He's even loyal to his instruments. 

No, I don't believe Neil Young is an asshole.


Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1322 on: December 05, 2011, 09:54:18 am »

Neil Young probably is not an asshole.  David Crosby would probably be a really fun asshole.

I dislike clapping at shows and think that bands that encourage that are kind of lame.  I have posted this here before, but one time I saw Jonathan Richman with like 10 people max.  Even there, a dude who has been playing since the early 70s at least- playing for ten people in Oklahoma, asked a woman not to take photographs and explained that it is much nicer to live in the moment instead of trying to document things for later.  It made me love him all the more.

I think we should hate Elvis Costello from 1979-present, but that is only cause of his work during that time.  Give Me My Aim is True or This Years Model or Give Me Another Band.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 10:01:31 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1323 on: December 05, 2011, 11:06:12 am »

I dislike forced sing alongs and clap alongs.  If the band has to ask you to clap along or sing along then they aren't doing their job as performers.  Now when an audience spontaneously starts to clap or sing along it's a totally different story.  That can be magical.

This is the greatest example of that sort of thing I know of.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1324 on: December 05, 2011, 11:41:24 am »

Oh, Young might well be a nice guy to people he actually knows, this is entirely possible.

I guess I really just meant that he's probably not much of one for patience with general people.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1325 on: December 05, 2011, 08:49:00 pm »

Oh, Young might well be a nice guy to people he actually knows, this is entirely possible.

I guess I really just meant that he's probably not much of one for patience with general people.

I don't even know what that is supposed to mean.  Are you saying he's a nice guy and teats his family, friends, and professional associates well, but doesn't suffer fools gladly?  That's hardly my definition of an asshole, but whatever.  If it makes you feel better to believe that Neil Young is a dick then rock on with your bad self.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1326 on: December 05, 2011, 10:46:17 pm »

I always thought that this was pretty nice for a little singalong thing, but I know lots (and lots and lots) of people think that Pearl Jam sucks and that Ed Ved is more of a dick than even Neil Young (possible, perhaps probable, but the apple doesn't fall far from the tree in that case).
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1327 on: December 05, 2011, 11:06:14 pm »

I always thought that this was pretty nice for a little singalong thing, but I know lots (and lots and lots) of people think that Pearl Jam sucks and that Ed Ved is more of a dick than even Neil Young (possible, perhaps probable, but the apple doesn't fall far from the tree in that case).

That was very nice.  Great reworking of that song too.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1328 on: December 05, 2011, 11:22:53 pm »

See, unlike everywhere else, I sort of LIKE the idea of my rock heroes being kinda assholey.

Under what other logic could I both Robert Fripp and Axl Rose a whole lot? They are basically polar opposites inside the idea of being a rock and roll person except that they seem like heroically awesomely kind of assholes about some things.

Okay, rock and roll and baseball. These are the two things where I want my heroes to kinda be dicks.

My team of all teams was the 1986 Mets, for God's sake, and the only guys who weren't high on speedballs were Gary Carter and Mookie Wilson and... Mook and the Kid were merely extraordinarily drunk.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1329 on: December 06, 2011, 12:03:30 am »

Okay fine, you like your musicians to be dicks.  So what.  You haven't offered any kind of evidence that Neil Young is a dick.  All we've been given, is that one time he told the audience to behave, which isn't really a dick move in my opinion.  Maybe he's an asshole, I don't know.  I do know that he is loyal and others are loyal to him.  That doesn't necessarily prove he's not an asshole, but it does suggest otherwise.

What are we even talking about here?  Neither one of us know or will ever know what he is like in his personal life.  Are there youtube clips out there of Neil Young acting in a dickish manner?  Did Steven Stills write a biography telling what a prick he was to work with?  What?

I just really don't know what you are basing your opinion on.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1330 on: December 06, 2011, 01:17:49 am »

Neil Young may want people to shut up (especially if they are out of rhythm) at his shows, but seriously. Farm Aid, the Bridge School Concerts, etc, etc . . . I get what you are saying, but he is about the kindest most generous asshole there is out there. Cut Mr. Young a break.

Like musicians who are dicks if you want, though - you won't ever run out of 'em.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1331 on: December 06, 2011, 01:51:33 am »

I'm just tying to picture in my mind Larry Cragg saying to himself "fuck my life if I have to spend one more day with that fuck*ng douchebag Neil Young.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 01:57:09 am by pmcd9 »
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1332 on: December 06, 2011, 02:42:45 am »

Edit: oops, didn't notice that there was another page. In response to:

I always thought that this was pretty nice for a little singalong thing, but I know lots (and lots and lots) of people think that Pearl Jam sucks and that Ed Ved is more of a dick than even Neil Young (possible, perhaps probable, but the apple doesn't fall far from the tree in that case).

Eddie Vedder might be a dick, but I thought everyone at least liked Ten.

Also, I can't imagine Neil Young being different than anyone else as far as strangers go. I mean, it's almost like in order to avoid being a dick, someone who has achieved some kind of celebrity status has to slobber all over any person's dong. I treat most people I see with indifference.

Then again, I'm kind of a dick.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 02:51:37 am by miles »
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1333 on: December 06, 2011, 03:06:25 am »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1334 on: December 06, 2011, 03:59:49 am »

The Fluxblog 2011 Survey is in!

You're so fuck*ng awesome, Paul. Thanks for tha linx!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 190   Go Up