Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

this is a messageboard. people talk about stuffs in messageboards. all is well&all is good.

Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 380758 times)

0 Members and 60 Guests are viewing this topic.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1380 on: January 05, 2012, 01:42:12 am »

the more you ignore me the closer i get-morrissey

at first i was like, "oh, shut the fuck up, morrissey."  but then i was all, "hey, except for the bitching about being cockblocked, this song sounds pretty good."
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 03:23:02 pm by greenkoolayd »
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1381 on: January 05, 2012, 02:36:29 am »

Morrissey is a total dick but I adore him. If you can get past his... Morrissey-ness, he's a great songwriter.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1382 on: January 05, 2012, 03:07:53 am »

Sarah Harmer is so talented.  This is a live performance of a tune from her latest album "Oh Little Fire."
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1383 on: January 05, 2012, 04:06:14 am »

the more you ignore me the closer i get-morrissey

at first i was like, "oh, shut the fuck up, morrissey."  but the i was all, "hey, except for the bitching about being cockblocked, this song sounds pretty good."

I guess it's time for me to try to like Morrissey again.  There are certain musical artist that are highly revered, but he just doesn't do anything for me.  From time to time I spend a little bit of time trying to get into them.  It's been awhile since I tried with Morrissey. Welp, wish me luck.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1384 on: January 05, 2012, 04:35:49 am »

Okay, I got 4 songs into it when somebody posted something on Facebook that made me think of Neil Young.  I gave it my best shot.  We'll try it again next year maybe.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1385 on: January 05, 2012, 06:21:00 am »

My opinion is that Morrissey sucks, but Johnny Marr is awesome. I will listen to the Smiths for Johnny Marr.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1386 on: January 05, 2012, 07:15:24 am »

Well yeah, I was listening to The Smiths, which strikes me as good at times, but I can live without it.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Jaded Tersk

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 49
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 166
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1387 on: January 05, 2012, 07:26:33 am »

I am to Morrissey like Waylon Smithers is to Malibu Stacy.  There's no accounting for taste though, so why try to like something?  Everybody has got some canonical, highly revered musical acts that just don't turn them on.  Loving every word of Morrissey, every facial tic, every mic cord whip, every inlaid in-joke, every subtle homage to some forgotten cultural obscurity and every withering tongue-in-cheek pronouncement comes easily to me.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1388 on: January 05, 2012, 07:57:07 am »

Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1389 on: January 05, 2012, 03:29:19 pm »

i dont care for morrissey's tunes, generally(i guess im not beaner enough?).  same goes for the smiths.

Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1390 on: January 06, 2012, 12:46:50 am »

I like Moz and the Smiths just fine. Of course, I like all that mopey English shit.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1391 on: January 06, 2012, 04:57:59 am »

My opinion is that Morrissey sucks, but Johnny Marr is awesome. I will listen to the Smiths for Johnny Marr.

I have no interest in starting a Morrissey vs. Marr debate, but I don't understand how you could listen to the Smiths if you hate Morrissey. Unless you like scrub his voice or something.

It's like eating a hot fudge sundae for the ice cream even though you hate hot fudge. Morrissey is in nearly every bite.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1392 on: January 06, 2012, 05:27:59 am »

I actually hate (by hate I mean the dude is overrated) Johnny Marr.  I am pretty neutral on Morrissey, but man, Johnny Marr ain't that good.  I think this sums up why The Smiths are good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc1ObUMFWMo

Bass and drums mother fuckers.

Also, you'se guys know the Hitch Hike story?  Marvin Gaye had a song called Hitch Hike.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwvHfwDfapI  Then the Stones covered it and added this sweet ass riff http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmkU3yg4lK0 Then the Velvet Underground stole that sweet ass riff for There She Goes Again http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOrwJ7HHyyE  Then the Smiths stole it for the intro of There is a Light That Never Goes Out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INgXzChwipY

That is my favorite riff story in rock history.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1393 on: January 06, 2012, 06:14:42 am »

I'd made the connection between Hitch Hike and There She Goes Again but I wasn't familiar with the Stones cover and would never have made the Smiths connection. That's rad.

That song by the Smiths perfectly encapsulates I think why I love them so much and why other people don't.

I mean, "and in the darkened underpass I thought oh God my chance has come at last, but then a strange fear gripped me and I just couldn't ask." That's as perfect as rock lyricism gets in my mind, but I can see why people hate it.

But you're right, their rhythm section doesn't get nearly enough credit. There are excuses enough for everybody to love the Smiths.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1394 on: January 06, 2012, 06:36:05 am »

it is funny that that is the song you post, because I freaking love the guitar on that track.

Started re-reading this book I read about the delta blues in high school... looks like I'm going on another unstoppable acoustic blues kick.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 190   Go Up