Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

HIDE YOUR SHAME
by wearing new t-shirts from Word Front Wares. Shroud yourself in pure unadulterated awesome.

Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 381083 times)

0 Members and 58 Guests are viewing this topic.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1395 on: January 06, 2012, 06:44:20 am »

wild sex(in the working class)-oingo boingo

asserdan included this track on his last mix CD and you cant ask for more from a sex jam.  also, the bass player is a fuck*ng monster.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1396 on: January 06, 2012, 09:05:41 am »

I mean, "and in the darkened underpass I thought oh God my chance has come at last, but then a strange fear gripped me and I just couldn't ask." That's as perfect as rock lyricism gets in my mind, but I can see why people hate it.

As much as you can separate a dude's lyrics and his image, Morrissey's lyrics are perfect/brilliant rock lyrics.  The dude himself kinda seems like a dick though, and not a cool Dylanish dick.  Luckily, I don't listen to The Smiths (or anyone- though the Black Lips seem hella cool and that adds to my enjoyment I must admit) cause I think Morrissey is a guy I would want to hang out with.

it is funny that that is the song you post, because I freaking love the guitar on that track.

Yeah, I was listening to that track after I posted it and really liked it.  I don't really have an opinion about Marr's guitar, except that it just sounds bad on a pure sound basis.  Like just how the guitar sounds is bad to me, not the playing or anything.  That makes sense right?  It is the only band that I have that reaction with that isn't just purely based on metal distortion or whatever.  And everyone talks about how good Marr is, and I'm all, meh...dude sucks.

Plus he was around when Modest penis got absolutely awful, though they were clearly going that way already, so you can't really blame him.  I got through about the first 30 seconds of the first five songs of that album and haven't thought about new modest penis since.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Jaded Tersk

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 49
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 166
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1397 on: January 06, 2012, 12:59:56 pm »

Marr is best song played on ugliest guitar

Weird opinion, hombre, but one can for the eternal truth about rhythm sections, and a bonus can for the rock riff story.

Edit: Yeah, that bonus can is in the mail.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1398 on: January 06, 2012, 01:55:04 pm »

But you're right, their rhythm section doesn't get nearly enough credit. There are excuses enough for everybody to love the Smiths.

It's funny you should mention the rhythm section because I when I was listening to them before I was thinking to myself how much I disliked the drumming.  I only listened to 4 songs so maybe I was being hasty.  So I'm listening to them again this morning.  5 songs in... Yep, I really don't like the drumming much at all.

I like the guitar playing though.  And How Soon is Now is a cool song, but there's nothing else like it in their repertoire that I've heard.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1399 on: January 06, 2012, 05:20:07 pm »

Hitch Hike is a fuck*ng terrific song. I didn't know about any of that other stuff. I love the classic YT comments on the Stones track, though - "Jagger was a better singer than Marvin Gaye" . . . hm.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1400 on: January 06, 2012, 05:41:14 pm »

yeah, the super chorused-out guitar tone has not aged well.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1401 on: January 06, 2012, 05:53:53 pm »

So, this is where I'm putting this:

Today's iTunes fuckery. I go to import a CD which is a tribute to a local band a few friends of mine are in. It's not in iTunes, so I decide to submit the track names. Everything is cool, but it needs an artist name. I go to put in "Various Artists" and it crashes as soon as I type the letter "V". Try again, same deal, exact same spot.. Random.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1402 on: January 06, 2012, 05:56:44 pm »

Also, you'se guys know the Hitch Hike story?  Marvin Gaye had a song called Hitch Hike.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwvHfwDfapI  Then the Stones covered it and added this sweet ass riff http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmkU3yg4lK0 Then the Velvet Underground stole that sweet ass riff for There She Goes Again http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOrwJ7HHyyE  Then the Smiths stole it for the intro of There is a Light That Never Goes Out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INgXzChwipY

That is my favorite riff story in rock history.

I wonder how much of that was deliberate?  It's not really that distinctive.  It could be coincidence.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1403 on: January 06, 2012, 08:08:02 pm »

I just can't get over that the riff for Lady Godiva by the VU is also the solo for the Creedence song "Born on the Bayou." Born on the Bayou came second, but do we think John Fogerty was listening to White Light/White Heat? Seems unlikely. Maybe this riff is from an old blues song I haven't heard yet.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1404 on: January 06, 2012, 09:41:28 pm »

Did I mention how I was listening to Lady Madonna the other day and my office-mate was all "I've heard this song before, don't tell me . . ." and I said "do you want a hint? They're the most popular artists in the history of recorded music".

I'm listening to the Angels.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1405 on: January 07, 2012, 01:21:35 am »

"Jagger was a better singer than Marvin Gaye" . . . hm.

fuck*ng blasphemy. I've stoned people to death for less than this.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1406 on: January 07, 2012, 01:28:01 am »

I just can't get over that the riff for Lady Godiva by the VU is also the solo for the Creedence song "Born on the Bayou." Born on the Bayou came second, but do we think John Fogerty was listening to White Light/White Heat? Seems unlikely. Maybe this riff is from an old blues song I haven't heard yet.

The blues riff theory seems right, but I like the idea of Fogerty listening to VU better. Didn't someone say that although they didn't sell many albums, everyone who bought one started a band? Lou Reed, thank you for "Lookin' Out My Back Door."
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1407 on: January 10, 2012, 01:46:49 pm »

Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1408 on: January 10, 2012, 05:01:24 pm »

The blues riff theory seems right, but I like the idea of Fogerty listening to VU better. Didn't someone say that although they didn't sell many albums, everyone who bought one started a band? Lou Reed, thank you fuck you for "Lookin' Out My Back Door."

That's how I'd do it, but considering I hate both of those bands it's an interesting idea, and might explain it.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1409 on: January 11, 2012, 12:47:58 am »

I'm used to most people I interact with not liking or knowing anything about some of my favorite bands/musicians, but I'm always a bit disturbed and maybe even a little heartbroken when I find out someone hates Creedence. I mean, I knew you hate Lou Reed, and I get that, but Creedence?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 190   Go Up