Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That you can post photos to the TOUAMB Flickr Pool?

Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 380172 times)

0 Members and 52 Guests are viewing this topic.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1815 on: June 21, 2012, 05:40:01 pm »

Onra - They Got Breaks Too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUlGtkrBgLE&feature=youtu.be

Mia Doi Todd - Summer Lover: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRTjgSjxOhg

Groundislava - Animal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbvBQG7t6D8&feature=relmfu

Animal Collective - Water Curses:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7GZLRxVzvg
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1816 on: June 21, 2012, 07:14:24 pm »

Uyama Hiroto ft. Golden Boy - Vision Eyes

This sounded like some old school yacht rock until some dude starting rapping.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1817 on: June 21, 2012, 08:18:04 pm »

Yacht rock.  This concept is intriguing.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1818 on: June 21, 2012, 10:22:56 pm »

Yacht rock.  This concept is intriguing.

Seals & Crofts?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1819 on: June 21, 2012, 11:35:03 pm »

Paul just reminded of channel 101 and this.
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1820 on: June 22, 2012, 07:55:38 pm »

That song mentions many places in NC and was like the theme song when I worked at summer camp. Now the recorded version sounds shitty to me, because I played it and sang along with kids and dear friends so many times that summer. That is still the first chord progression I play when I pick up my guitar. What a great song. Did you know the chorus was a Bob Dylan fragment that he never finished?

I try not to think about the last time we all sang it together, and then my coworkers all started telling horrific racist jokes. WTF guys. Way to ruin my opinion of you forever.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1821 on: June 22, 2012, 08:04:13 pm »

Some people call Steely Dan yacht rock but I think that it only is in the most surface of ways.

If you scratch the surface, Steely Dan's lyrics are often about how horrible yacht rock people can often be.

I like to imagine Steely Dan songs beating the shit outta Jimmy Buffet songs in a back alley after having to pretend they were friends in a bar earlier than night.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1822 on: June 22, 2012, 08:44:29 pm »

I like to imagine Steely Dan songs beating the shit outta Jimmy Buffet songs in a back alley after having to pretend they were friends in a bar earlier than night.

pretty much.
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1823 on: June 22, 2012, 08:48:20 pm »

Quote
If you scratch the surface, Steely Dan's lyrics are often about how horrible yacht rock people can often be.

Is there anything more rich-white-guy than being an artist who plays slightly esoteric jazz-rock about how much you don't like rich people?

Sounds like the JD Salinger of jazz-rock.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1824 on: June 23, 2012, 01:08:10 am »

Is there anything more rich-white-guy than being an artist who plays slightly esoteric jazz-rock about how much you don't like rich people?

I've no idea what you are talking about. Steely Dan sings about hating rich people?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1825 on: June 23, 2012, 01:39:27 am »

LFM seems to think they do.

Quote
If you scratch the surface, Steely Dan's lyrics are often about how horrible yacht rock people can often be.

I like to imagine Steely Dan songs beating the shit outta Jimmy Buffet songs in a back alley after having to pretend they were friends in a bar earlier than night.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1826 on: June 23, 2012, 01:43:05 am »

Steely Dan sings a lotta songs about reprehensible upperclass types, certainly.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1827 on: June 23, 2012, 02:49:10 am »

Old Crow Medicine Show - Wagon Wheel

Lot of fiddle and down-strums lately and I'm liking it fine.

I love this video so hard.

Did you know the chorus was a Bob Dylan fragment that he never finished?

It's relatively easy to find a download of The Genuine Bootleg Series which contains this (titled Rock Me Mama). It's worth checking out if one is a Bob Dylan fan. Even better is A Tree with Roots, which is basically The Genuine Basement Tapes (which I think it used to be called). If you've listened to the I'm Not There soundtrack, you've heard the song by the same name that was previously only available on this bootleg. It's such a fuck*ng amazing song it's a wonder it never got an official release or a better recording, though I love the recording.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1828 on: June 23, 2012, 05:25:08 pm »

I ordered a Bonnie Prince Billy record from this label called Black Tent Press and now I guess I'm on their email list. I get tons of emails from bands and record labels because I ordered something at some point and I tend to ignore them. Anyway, I got an email this week from Black Tent Press about a new album from this band called Fist City. It had a link to a free download of the album along with a plea that you buy the record, so I checked it out. I like it quite a bit. This is my favorite song: http://fistcity.bandcamp.com/track/boring-kids (not the same recording as the one I have though, it's a bit noisier).
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1829 on: June 25, 2012, 03:57:47 am »

bang on the drum all day-live at daryl's house

i guess a bunch of people get together with daryl hall and jam?  anyhow, this version seems like the perfect song for an outdoor gathering in the backyard with your favorite dudes and ladies.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 190   Go Up