Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Fnord.

Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 380125 times)

0 Members and 54 Guests are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1980 on: January 02, 2013, 12:24:23 am »

I'm so glad you guys like it. I hardly ever or maybe never have anything to share in this thread.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1981 on: January 02, 2013, 04:30:20 am »

I was starting to think it was a problem that all I listen to is Bruce Springsteen and Oingo Boingo with an occasional bit of Gaslight Anthem.

I have now stumbled across something new. Unfortunately, I can only buy their music as expensive import CD. Fortunately, there's YouTube:

Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra

Edit: I meant this link, but I'll leave that one too, it's shorter and with less talking.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixvqEnf_7_A

Damn that's good!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1982 on: January 02, 2013, 07:48:08 am »

Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1983 on: January 03, 2013, 10:50:28 am »

I was starting to think it was a problem that all I listen to is Bruce Springsteen and Oingo Boingo with an occasional bit of Gaslight Anthem.

I have now stumbled across something new. Unfortunately, I can only buy their music as expensive import CD. Fortunately, there's YouTube:

Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra

Edit: I meant this link, but I'll leave that one too, it's shorter and with less talking.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixvqEnf_7_A

I like this one.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1984 on: January 03, 2013, 01:38:28 pm »

lprkn, if you ever have the chance to see them in concert, do it for me.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1985 on: January 04, 2013, 02:49:19 am »

Fluxblog has put up their 2012 Survey.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1986 on: January 04, 2013, 01:41:19 pm »

My old desktop computer died. The last thing I'd been doing with it was playing Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra videos. The awesomeness was too much for it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1987 on: January 04, 2013, 03:03:19 pm »

You know, I  have no idea what ska is. Are they really playing ska? Or is this Japanese ska to regular ska like Japanese curry is to Indian curry or Japanese pizza with corn and squid on it... you get the question.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1988 on: January 04, 2013, 05:38:17 pm »

fuck I love me some ska.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1989 on: January 04, 2013, 11:30:18 pm »

I'm always suspicious of Ska bands. It's a niche sound that has developed into a scene similar to the blues, or rockabilly, or punk, which is populated by hundreds of bands that are virtually indistinguishable from one another. It's a trap to play a style of music that has such a well defined sound. It's also pretty lazy.

This band, probably because they are Japanese, and also because of their high degree of musicianship don't fall into that trap.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1990 on: January 05, 2013, 09:23:18 am »

Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1991 on: January 10, 2013, 07:31:30 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL6CVwGTyVs

I can't get enough.

I know those words but that song name makes no sense.
EDIT: Nevermind I get it now.

Incidentally just listened to this one, I would pay all kinds of money for an album just of the instrumental bit they did at the end.

2 x EDITCOMBO: Turns out that's exactly what the second song Ash linked is. Sold.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 07:38:25 am by Doc »
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1992 on: January 10, 2013, 08:09:03 am »

I am listening to a lot of Kendrick Lamar. Something about his style really bugs me, but I also really like this album. Hm. He does these little things with his voice that drive me up the wall in a bad way.

But then there's fun shit like this and shit that makes me think or something like this.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1993 on: January 16, 2013, 08:43:08 pm »

cheesy extreme metal about 20th century war. SABATON!:

coat of arms
primo victoria
ghost division

history boners!
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1994 on: January 22, 2013, 05:56:14 am »

Logged
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 190   Go Up