Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Alright, America. I'm playing the underpants and pants game. If just for one more day.

Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 382438 times)

0 Members and 61 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2025 on: February 21, 2013, 05:55:56 am »

I had the iTunes on shuffle yesterday and an unknown Neil Young song came on. I checked it out and I don't know how it's possible that I've owned Zuma for years and never listened to it.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2026 on: February 22, 2013, 08:45:33 pm »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2027 on: February 22, 2013, 09:07:23 pm »

I am listening to the Bird and the Bee covering Hall and Oates. This is happening because of choices I have made in my life.
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2028 on: February 22, 2013, 10:37:11 pm »

I played one song off that album on my radio show a lot. Man, that was a while ago! I kind of miss it.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2029 on: February 24, 2013, 02:22:47 am »

Alternating between this and this.

Lately I am feeling like kind of a dork for being as obsessed as I am with black culture(s). Today I listened to hip hop, ate a delicious spicy sandwich at a cool new Cajun restaurant, sat at a coffee shop listening to delta blues and reading The Warmth of Other Suns.

That book, by the way, is one of the best things I have ever read. I have always been incredibly touched by the stories of people leaving their homes in search of a better life. This book is ruling my brain.

Last night I saw these guys and enjoyed it a lot. The songs with the guy playing drums and the woman on guitar were much better. He gets a lot of good beats out of a 4-piece drum kit.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2030 on: February 24, 2013, 03:42:07 am »

A friend made me listen to some songs by the guy who is the subject of this Oscar nominated documentary called Searching for Sugar Man. Have we talked about this? He made a couple of records in the 1960s that flopped and then spent the rest of his life doing construction work, not knowing he was a huge hit in South Africa, where they assumed he was dead, but finally a guy tracked him down. It is a great story but the production on the recordings is so 1960s that it's painful.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2031 on: February 24, 2013, 07:39:19 am »

wow, I thought "there's no such thing as sounding painfully 60s!" and then I listened to the track on the trailer... wow. Yikes. Painful.

Inspired by Paul, I have been listening to Neil Young tonight. Man, nothing makes you feel like shit like Neil Young. How does he do it? There is no other musician who makes me feel so unbelievably sad. On the other hand, playing Tell Me Why on the guitar makes me feel great. Even though I have very little idea what he's singing about.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2032 on: February 24, 2013, 01:19:22 pm »

wow, I thought "there's no such thing as sounding painfully 60s!" and then I listened to the track on the trailer... wow. Yikes. Painful.

Inspired by Paul, I have been listening to Neil Young tonight. Man, nothing makes you feel like shit like Neil Young. How does he do it? There is no other musician who makes me feel so unbelievably sad. On the other hand, playing Tell Me Why on the guitar makes me feel great. Even though I have very little idea what he's singing about.

I've been reading Neil's autobiography lately.  Dude's a trip.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2033 on: February 25, 2013, 09:15:46 pm »

Inspired by Paul, I have been listening to Neil Young tonight.

This morning I woke up with Come On Baby Let's Go Downtown stuck in my head.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2034 on: February 27, 2013, 05:55:57 pm »

My band covered that at our one and only reunion show in 1995.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2035 on: February 28, 2013, 01:34:36 am »

That...is not what I thought social distortion sounded like?  It was alright, I am only posting this cause those lines about running away, but finding yourself there and you can run all your life and never go anywhere- those are like half of the lyrics I write.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2036 on: March 04, 2013, 08:34:35 am »

Lately when it gets warm out (it's been a while) I get this song stuck in my head. This week I'm going to Nashville for a few days for a garage rock festival... but ever since I heard it's going to be in the 60s I'm imagining linen shirts and this song. All sitting outside the show, cigar, drink with a lime, flirting with girls with my chest hair showing.

We don't have anywhere to stay, so it might be a car camping trip of sweaty rock show guys. Fun.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2037 on: March 04, 2013, 05:51:53 pm »

Lately when it gets warm out (it's been a while) I get this song stuck in my head.

Love that song.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2038 on: March 05, 2013, 04:10:23 am »

This week I'm going to Nashville

Neat, I'm going to Nashville in a couple weeks.

I can't remember if I've already asked, but is anyone familiar with Nashville? What do I need to do while I'm there? Specifically interested in country/bluegrass venues and such but I welcome all suggestions.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2039 on: March 05, 2013, 02:44:42 pm »

I have never been to Nashville, but the Bon Appetit article on it makes me want to go there and get hot chicken.
http://www.bonappetit.com/magazine/2012/02/the-story-on-nashville-hot-chicken
http://www.bonappetit.com/magazine/travel/nashville
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 190   Go Up