Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Yay us!
Happy 9th Birthday to TOUAMB.

Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 379693 times)

0 Members and 51 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2175 on: October 11, 2013, 03:51:58 am »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2176 on: October 12, 2013, 04:49:57 pm »

Every thursday my roommates DJ at this goofy bar, and it is getting more and more popular. I am a huge fan of this song they always play. The video captures something about my experience with dance music. Primarily consumed by dorky guys with headphones. I really love dancing, but something about it is really desperate and lonely to me. The best dance songs have a strange edge of sadness to them.

Something about masses of people dancing and getting drunk always makes me sad. So many people seem so lonely. They just want to make a connection. But instead they (I) dance intensely in the corner alone with their eyes closed. I couldn't dance when I was dating The Ex, and I think she thought I was lying when I said I was a very good dancer. I couldn't get into the mindspace to do it. Being drunk, lonely, near friends but feeling alienated, wanting desperately for someone to notice me but not wanting to approach anyone. Every time I go to this bar I drink a tiny bit too much and try not to stare at the cute girls. I have a fun time but leave feeling kind of drained. Also bewildered by the weird performances you see. The faces girls make when they are trying to dance sexily are really strange. Either completely blank, or kind of confused/concerned, but with a little smile. "I'm grinding my ass against his dick, is this right? Is this what I do? I think I'm doing it right. This is fun, right?" The dudes who come are all really into homoerotic dancing as a display of male bonding.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2177 on: October 13, 2013, 01:07:51 am »

Interesting timing, Inev. Someone on Facebook posted about the "80's New Wave Dance Party" that is tonight at the club we went to all the time in college. If I was still in that neck of the woods, I would totally go. After I turned 21, Wednesday nights were frequently spent at the "Alternative Dance Party" at this club, which was alternately the source of much fun and much angst, trying to meet girls and doing a really bad job of it. Now it would be frickin' awesome to go back there and just dance to that music.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2178 on: October 13, 2013, 01:25:33 am »

Yeah, my roommates used to mostly play funk and disco stuff, but as it got more and more crowded they have gravitated towards modern things. It's hard to imagine what hearing Daft Punk in 20 years will feel like.

This thing always makes an appearance too. What a perfect song.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2179 on: October 13, 2013, 01:40:18 am »

Damn, trying to imagine hearing this or this or this in 20 years. Holy shit. It would be especially weird because I have to go to an effort to remember the names of these songs, but during college there was a period of time where I got very drunk and danced to them at least twice a week. It's not like I cruise around in my car listening to this stuff.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2180 on: October 14, 2013, 06:18:40 am »

American Sharks. Ash, you might like these guys.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2181 on: October 23, 2013, 06:46:44 pm »

Amazon MP3 download of The Head and the Heart's new album: $9.49.
Amazon CD order of that same album, which includes a free MP3 download: $7.99.

OK then. Of course, if I bought the CD, I'd either have to pay shipping, or find another $27 worth of crap to order to get free shipping (not $17, because Amazon just jacked the amount you need to spend to get free shipping). In any event, I'll wait until next month's eMusic credits to order that.

With this month's eMusic credits, I ordered the new Avett Brothers record, and the acoustic solo record by Broken Social Scene's Brendan Canning. I just got tickets for the Avetts at the end of February--have never seen them live, so I'm very much looking forward to that.

Other recent pickups:
Okkervil River "The Silver Gymnasium"--really like this.
Neko Case "The Worse Things Get, The Harder I Fight, The Harder I Fight, The More I Love You." An interesting album that I suspect will grow on me over time. She makes some unusual lyric choices, I think.
Iron & Wine, "Ghost on Ghost." More than any artist I can think of, you can hear Sam Beam's music changing and branching out with each subsequent release. And to a fair degree, I appreciate that; he's not just putting out the same album over and over like some bands I could name. But on this one, with some crazy jazz horn section shit going on, I find myself thinking, "Remember that sparse, pretty acoustic stuff you used to do? Maybe you could do that again."
Volcano Choir, "Repave." The Justin Vernon songs sound just like Bon Iver, imagine that.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2182 on: October 23, 2013, 09:55:54 pm »

Just got back from seeing my favorite guys in Chicago, and now I am listening to some pretty intense ringing in my right ear. Somehow managed to leave both pairs of earplugs at home. Damn.

That band is so fuck*ng good. Jesus.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2183 on: October 23, 2013, 10:32:39 pm »

I agree, but everytime I've seen them no one I see them with does.

Ash- so good.  Their version of Police and Theives is fuck*ng awesome.  It is maybe my favorite drug song in that it works with every single type of high? 

My current, uh, 5th (?) favorite pysch revival act (that's pretty high up!!): http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EM-e9yTrwFY&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DEM-e9yTrwFY
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2184 on: October 24, 2013, 12:52:38 am »

An' if I get aggression/I give it two times back

Listening to that I am coming to realize why I never liked the Clash too much. It might be because the drumming is so weak.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2185 on: October 24, 2013, 01:09:50 am »

Iron & Wine, "Ghost on Ghost." More than any artist I can think of, you can hear Sam Beam's music changing and branching out with each subsequent release. And to a fair degree, I appreciate that; he's not just putting out the same album over and over like some bands I could name. But on this one, with some crazy jazz horn section shit going on, I find myself thinking, "Remember that sparse, pretty acoustic stuff you used to do? Maybe you could do that again."

I was all prepared to link you to this year's Bonaroo Super Jam, but then realized that it wasn't Sam Beam, but Jim James that hosted it. I guess I tend to get Iron and Wine and My Morning Jacket confused with one another for some reason. Anyway, the Bonaroo Super Jam is really great this year.

Amazon MP3 download of The Head and the Heart's new album: $9.49.
Amazon CD order of that same album, which includes a free MP3 download: $7.99.

OK then. Of course, if I bought the CD, I'd either have to pay shipping, or find another $27 worth of crap to order to get free shipping (not $17, because Amazon just jacked the amount you need to spend to get free shipping). In any event, I'll wait until next month's eMusic credits to order that.

I had a similar situation occur when I bought 'New' the latest from Paul McCartney. The MP3 album was $9.99, but it was only 12 songs. It didn't include the extra 2 songs that you get on the "Deluxe Edition." for $14.88, which also comes with the download. To get the two extra tracks you had to buy them individually for $1.29 each which brings the Download only price to $12.57. Hey, that's only $2.31 extra to get the CD too. So I went ahead and did it. But then I forgot that I would now have to pay tax and shipping which brought the total to $19.90 which isn't nearly as good of a deal. Oh well, I'm happy to have the disc. It's a really cool package.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2186 on: October 29, 2013, 07:06:42 pm »

Right now I was listening to this out of nostalgia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzQLLIUvwFs. CONTEXT: "Tempo Perdido" is easily one of the 10 most iconic Brazilian rock  songs. Everyone growing up in the 80s onwards in Brazil has that melody and those lyrics grafted into their basal limbic system. I'm even kinda curious to hear your opinions on it (we're very aware of how Smiths-y these guys sound, but, hey, it was the 80's).
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2187 on: October 30, 2013, 03:32:21 am »

I am really into this song my roommate introduced me to through his DJing. At first I hated it, but something about it is awesome. Interesting hearing an older version of a lot of the dance music tropes I love. The guitar and keyboard solos are awful, but power through, it gets good again after them.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2188 on: October 30, 2013, 04:12:57 am »

The piano chords that start at about :23 remind me of Chicago's Saturday in the Park.

This song is hell of catchy. It's weird to find songs from the 70s and 80s I've never heard that are actually pretty good. Sometimes it feels like I've heard everything good from a certain era and then the internet comes through once again.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2189 on: October 30, 2013, 04:16:00 am »

Right now I was listening to this out of nostalgia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzQLLIUvwFs. CONTEXT: "Tempo Perdido" is easily one of the 10 most iconic Brazilian rock  songs. Everyone growing up in the 80s onwards in Brazil has that melody and those lyrics grafted into their basal limbic system. I'm even kinda curious to hear your opinions on it (we're very aware of how Smiths-y these guys sound, but, hey, it was the 80's).

I like this too. Yeah, I think you could play it for a casual Morrissey fan and convince them he cut some international tracks.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 190   Go Up