Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am composing a tone poem about eagles, lawnmowers, and Ted Nugent. It is composed only of the sounds of those things.

Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 379835 times)

0 Members and 52 Guests are viewing this topic.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2310 on: March 17, 2014, 03:55:07 pm »

What do you guys think of Royals by Lourde? I'm not that crazy about it, but apparently it's super popular. Am I alone in thinking it's not that good?

I think it's OK. What I found interesting, though, were the articles saying "That song sure is racist."
http://feministing.com/2013/10/03/wow-that-lorde-song-royals-is-racist/

I found this annoying (and so did a lot of other people) because it seems to be saying hip-hop is above reproach, because if you criticize it in any way you're racist. While I have no doubt that there are racist people who dislike hip-hop entirely because it's largely made by black people, I think the focus on material wealth is a perfectly legit thing to react negatively to.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2311 on: March 18, 2014, 05:30:57 pm »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2312 on: March 18, 2014, 07:35:16 pm »

I don't think I'd ever call Kurt Cobain a hero, but I wanted to hear a lot more of his music than I got to.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2313 on: March 18, 2014, 08:22:44 pm »

I don't think I'd ever call Kurt Cobain a hero, but I wanted to hear a lot more of his music than I got to.

I feel fortunate to have seen them live, even though to be honest it wasn't that great of a show. Have I told my weird story of meeting Kris Novoselic?
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2314 on: March 23, 2014, 05:43:36 pm »

no, you haven't told that story, I don't think. Kurt Cobain was my hero when I was in high school. Now a lot of Nirvana doesn't do it for me as much anymore.

Saw my roommates' bands' first show with their new songs last night. They've taken a lot of the kind of... bad... songs and smashed them apart and re-combined them to make awesome stuff. The more standard garage rock "I drive a tough car" "I love you baby" songs got mashed together into a weird extended jam with kind of Devo-style deadpan vocals. The new stuff is tight too. Excited to hear their new recordings, which they just finished with. They are definitely still a band that is being pulled in opposite directions by different members, but getting more and more tight and fun. The cool punk guys who book shows insist on referring to them as something like "garage rock goes to college."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2315 on: March 23, 2014, 09:29:24 pm »

Kurt Cobain was my hero when I was in high school. Now a lot of Nirvana doesn't do it for me as much anymore.

I was almost 30 when Nevermind came out, but still I was totally into Nirvana for quite a number of years, but yeah, now a lot of Nirvana doesn't do it for me as much anymore either.

You might enjoy this.

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2316 on: March 27, 2014, 06:20:25 am »

Has anybody mentioned The Strypes? Dang, these guys are channeling the Yardbirds! I'm really digging it. It's simple, direct and rocks!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2317 on: March 27, 2014, 04:57:02 pm »

Must be different than these guys:
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2318 on: March 27, 2014, 05:05:48 pm »

holy shit, what are those guys, 17???
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2319 on: March 27, 2014, 06:10:00 pm »

holy shit, what are those guys, 17???

Wikipedia says 16-18, so yes!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2320 on: March 28, 2014, 05:06:50 pm »

Yesterday I went to my friends' DJ night and there was no one there. I sat in the corner reading Invisible Man and heard THIS which made my life feel great.

There was an important moment in my music-appreciation life sometime in the past 3 years where I realized Fleetwood Mac, previously the band I hated the most, are awesome.

I'll never stop being mad, though, about the afrobeat cover of this song I hear in my head. Can you hear this song being played on a jangly guitar with lots of polyrhythms? Holy hell. I swear to god I heard it somewhere, but it doesn't exist.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2321 on: March 28, 2014, 05:28:57 pm »

Fleetwood Mac are a really good pop band from the 70s. I used to really enjoy them, but like most radio friendly music I've become burned out on them. Maybe I've put them on the shelf long enough that I can listen to them again.

For what it's worth, Fleetwood Mac has reunited with Christine McVie.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2322 on: March 28, 2014, 07:53:05 pm »

Power Glove - Maximum Potential

In the 80's Dolph Lundgren released an exercise video called Maximum Potential that featured an original synth soundtrack. Said soundtrack was never officially released outside of what appears in the VHS tape, leading some 80's music fetishists to go kind of insane trying to find the tracks or recreate them.
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2323 on: March 28, 2014, 09:38:35 pm »

Wow, that's some high octane 80s right there. I had to check to see whether I was wearing a pastel leisure suit and stubbly beard.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2324 on: March 29, 2014, 12:29:03 am »

Wow, that's some high octane 80s right there. I had to check to see whether I was wearing a pastel leisure suit and stubbly beard.
Don't forget the topsiders and Ray Bans.  Accessorizing and all that.  Also, left earring.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 190   Go Up