Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Terrible dream where Bobby Flay came to my childhood home, danced on the table, recited verse, and we had nothing interesting for him to do.

Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 380429 times)

0 Members and 62 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2400 on: July 30, 2014, 12:52:27 am »

I haven't been doing the weepy music thing for a long time, so maybe that's part of it.

Soothing!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2401 on: August 01, 2014, 03:06:10 am »

I love that book!

I think my ex never gave me back my copy!

What a book.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2402 on: August 01, 2014, 10:33:49 pm »

Wait, you don't like The Replacements?  I guess that is fair.  I am pretty into all that music, but never read the book, thanks man!  Double Nickels is in my top ten of albums that never ever get old, with Clouds Taste Metallic and Surfer Rosa being another two (I don't know the others, it isn't an actual list?  Beck- One Foot In The Grave?  Good Bad Not Evil by the Black Lips?  These are just guesses, the other three are solid.)
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2403 on: August 02, 2014, 12:14:18 am »

Oh god guys please don't share illegal downloads of books right in front of me.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2404 on: August 02, 2014, 04:13:46 pm »

So for the answer has been because no one will pay me to make my work for sale. However, I am very shortly going to put the second mystery up for sale on Kindle so you can quit your whining.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2405 on: August 02, 2014, 04:33:23 pm »

I want to like Husker Du a lot more, but everything is so treble-y. Landspeed Record is amazing. Esp. that second track.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2406 on: August 02, 2014, 06:43:22 pm »

Husker Du is another band I want to like, but don't. The Replacements on the other hand I love.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2407 on: August 02, 2014, 11:45:18 pm »

I have tried and tried (probably just twice) to like Husker Du.  I cannot either.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2408 on: August 04, 2014, 03:04:56 am »

I saw some badass punk bands in Brooklyn yesterday and am not sure which was which. But one of them had a kind of Melvins-y off-kilter sludge thing that was KILLING me. When I figure out which band they were I will post here.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2409 on: August 05, 2014, 03:33:27 am »

Elton is cool. He's not like The Eagles or The Pixies. He never stopped recording new music. Although his show will of course be heavily weighted towards music he recorded 30-40 years ago he might throw a few surprises in there.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2410 on: August 05, 2014, 07:09:31 am »

This kind of too-complicated thing usually really annoys me but this lady can SING. That is a voice with power. Also digging the drumming. But watching the video and looking at those fuck*ng backup singers with their haircuts is bugging me a lot. Just minimize it and listen to the sick beats.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2411 on: August 05, 2014, 09:45:16 am »

The Tune-Yards have shown up on the Fluxblog a couple of times. I really like what I've heard so far.

I'm glad she's traded in her loop machine for live singers.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2412 on: August 05, 2014, 06:32:33 pm »

I love listening to someone who can really perform, without all the studio production and autotuning and witchery, regardless of whether I like the genre.  I'm going to go dig up some more of their stuff based on the strength of that clip.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2413 on: August 05, 2014, 06:56:02 pm »

I got the new Spoon album. It is a Spoon album. Which is to say it is very good. But on first listen I don't hear anything especially ground-breaking.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2414 on: August 06, 2014, 07:50:15 pm »

Holy shit, this chapter reminds me how I forgot I knew how great this band was.

There is a band I sure wish I had seen live during their heyday.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 190   Go Up