Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

But Pat, the Cure is silly! It is silly to like The Cure!

Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 381992 times)

0 Members and 64 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2430 on: September 18, 2014, 06:51:06 pm »

Well, they also sound different now. Wasn't The Blue Album a big success at the time? I like fewer and fewer songs per album after Pinkerton. Then one came out in 2005 or 2006 the same week my high school girlfriend cheated on me with my best friend, and I could never listen to that album again. So I kind of gave up on their newer stuff. I'll check out the new song when I am not on a school computer/have headphones.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Bobby Isosceles

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 23
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 244
  • LET US MAKE FLIPPER BABIES
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2431 on: September 24, 2014, 12:39:09 am »

Logged
i'm a gorilla, barbarians is my ancestors
it's part of my neurological transmitters

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2432 on: September 26, 2014, 07:59:04 pm »

Hey, this came out right around when I was born. I have never been that into Eric B and Rakim but this song did it for me.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2433 on: October 10, 2014, 04:59:50 pm »

Getting really into doing work at the computer lab at school with my headphones in. I'm way more able to focus when I'm in a "work" environment. Yesterday I did some mortgage spreadsheets (!?) and statistics practice problems while I listened to weird video-game sounding electronic music, some creep sing about drugs, and some endless beats. The day before was a gospel station on Pandora, that was pretty sweet.

And yes, listening to Cool Drugs Music while I did mortgage spreadsheets made me feel like I am officially an uncool grownup.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 05:29:25 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

ianmalcolm2

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 129
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 206
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2434 on: October 10, 2014, 06:51:57 pm »

Groundislava is some excellent stuff. I've used that album as 'gettin shit done' music for a while now.
Logged
Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2435 on: October 11, 2014, 04:47:07 am »

Ahhhhh I am going into NYC tomorrow for a school outing, and Groundislava are playing a show. Do I try to go? Would I have to leave early to make it back to NJ before the trains stop running? Would someone random from my program go with me? Ahhh.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2436 on: October 24, 2014, 05:49:16 am »

Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2437 on: October 24, 2014, 01:47:14 pm »

Slate just had an interesting article on that song/video. She is clearly going for the "adorkable" angle.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/08/29/taylor_swift_shake_it_off_is_no_1_here_s_how_she_did_it_video.html
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

ianmalcolm2

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 129
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 206
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2439 on: October 27, 2014, 12:59:48 am »

That is a good song. I'm happy to see a general trend in radio away from the weird faux-eurotrance of the last couple years.
Logged
Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2441 on: November 05, 2014, 04:53:48 am »

Neil Young is rock and/or roll.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 23
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 244
  • LET US MAKE FLIPPER BABIES
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2442 on: November 07, 2014, 08:53:08 pm »

Logged
i'm a gorilla, barbarians is my ancestors
it's part of my neurological transmitters

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2443 on: November 08, 2014, 06:18:48 am »

ODrama Ben Laden?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2444 on: November 16, 2014, 02:49:36 am »

Listening to so much music in the computer lab working/walking to school. Really into these weirdos. If you had asked me to describe Stereolab I definitely would have said something about noisy electronics, maybe I had heard a weird album or something.

Tons of Wire too. Pink Flag is so perfect. Lots of nice little songs.

I love how, listening to "out there" stuff like Wire or Joy Division or the Pixies, they still use the blues scale. It's baked in at this point.

The one guitar/music theory thing that I can't get over is the thing that Kurt Cobain constantly does where he changes the key (??) by a half-step. Like, About a Girl is E and G for the main part, and then C# G# F#, and then E (E again, but up an octave) A C. That's a key change, right? It seems like E F# G G# A C C# is too many notes too close together. But it sounds so good! I cannot imagine ever just stumbling upon the fact that you can do that and make it sound good. I think Weezer also does this, but they were probably imitating Kurt. I read somewhere that Rivers actually wrote out every chord from every Nirvana song to learn the patterns he was using.
(good job inventing emo, Rivers)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 01:07:35 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 190   Go Up