Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I got mad about Robert Fripp's "music" again. I need to go to bed.

Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 381133 times)

0 Members and 60 Guests are viewing this topic.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2445 on: November 25, 2014, 07:00:28 pm »

Damn but the new TV On the Radio album is great.
http://vimeo.com/112047660
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2446 on: November 30, 2014, 08:31:00 pm »

Really stuck on The Roches and their insane harmonies. They're killing me.

Quote
One season I was born
fell down like an acorn
I am the only tree
and everybody leaves

I've got to get away from you

Bud growing up at me
resentful face I see
a harsh light seems to damn you
is it because I am you?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2447 on: December 01, 2014, 09:48:17 am »

Really stuck on The Roches and their insane harmonies. They're killing me.

Speaking of insane harmonies, this song makes me shiver. That part at the end where the sonorous low voice comes in does me in everytime.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2448 on: December 10, 2014, 03:48:53 am »

Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2449 on: December 14, 2014, 02:30:47 am »

I've had both of these on my computer since at least college, but had never listened. Nick Drake is a BOSS.

And Stereolab is getting me through exam study times. Sooooo good.

Stereolab are really blowing me away. Combining so many things I like to create just perfect songs.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 02:40:58 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2451 on: December 21, 2014, 03:47:25 pm »

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2452 on: December 21, 2014, 03:49:24 pm »

And if that totally bums you out, here's some upbeat Japanese weirdness to make up for it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2453 on: December 26, 2014, 08:01:32 am »

And if that totally bums you out, here's some upbeat Japanese weirdness to make up for it.

I'm surprised there's not a Japanese subculture that fetishizes Christmas in a bizarre and extreme manner.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2454 on: January 07, 2015, 05:43:16 pm »

This one's for you Inev.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2455 on: January 14, 2015, 06:47:54 pm »

I have all of those as well as Good News for People Who Love Bad News, which like you was gifted all at once (except for Lonesome Crowded West, I bought that one). If my iTunes plays data is a true indicator it's my favorite album of all time (at least since 2009). The rest of those albums I can't seem to get into. There's some small shift in tone I think. Don't know. You may love those albums and hate Good News. It's a big ol' world. I'm gonna have some nachos.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2456 on: January 14, 2015, 08:01:35 pm »

I have never really listened to Modest c*ck, but a lot of friends love them.

Paul, that song is great, but I think picking a song fronted by that guy is kind of a punky "fuck you" to being on Letterman. His songs are always a little more annoying, IMHO. Why not this song? or the obvious best song on the album. The bass line is catchy, too bad you can't hear it in this video.
So good, down to the off-white and light blue fender guitars.

Inherent Vice, which I enjoyed a lot, starts out with this song I love. I love those damn drums!

Visiting St Louis, it seems that all of my friends have gotten way better at music, but their band has fallen apart. What a shame.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 08:10:14 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2457 on: January 14, 2015, 08:42:45 pm »

My last post was not clearly stated. Good News is the album that I have listened to as many as 60+ times.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2458 on: January 14, 2015, 09:29:27 pm »

Paul, that song is great, but I think picking a song fronted by that guy is kind of a punky "fuck you" to being on Letterman. His songs are always a little more annoying, IMHO. Why not this song? or the obvious best song on the album. The bass line is catchy, too bad you can't hear it in this video.
So good, down to the off-white and light blue fender guitars.

I'm no expert on Parquet Courts. I mainly posted that because it came up on Letterman and I didn't know if you had seen it. that KEXP performance is pretty damn good. Thanks for posting. I actually get updates from KEXP, but that came out before I signed up.

It's my birthday and I'm feeling like this song is about right for me today. When it came out I felt like I was on one side of the equation and now I'm on the other side of that same equation.

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2459 on: January 15, 2015, 12:00:42 am »

Parquet courts are such my favorite band that it isn't even funny.  That song is pretty good, but, yeah, Andrew savage is clearly what makes that band great.  Having an Austin brown song is exactly the punky fuck you thing to do...don't know if that's good or bad.  Content naseau is one of my favorite albums ever.  Their first album has some great great tracks too, square states and largish/dominant stand outs.  Teenage cool kids (savages band before) Denton after sunset is a great album too.

I love modest c*ck.  I'd start with moon and Antarctica then go to long drive.  Then everything will make sense!

Relatedly...Isaac Brock and Andrew savage are 2 of my favorite 3 lyricist of all time (w r zimmerman)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 12:07:35 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 190   Go Up