Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood Surprising fact: wearing clothes burns 12 more calories per day than nudity.

Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 379937 times)

0 Members and 52 Guests are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2460 on: January 15, 2015, 08:48:00 pm »

I've been real into hip hop recently.  I can only post on here with my phone unfortunately, but og maco- u guessed it and Vince staples hell can wait ep but great.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2461 on: January 20, 2015, 05:57:48 pm »

Based on a small sample size thus far, I really like Stars when the woman is singing. Not so much when the dude is singing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkLm31eroGI
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

ianmalcolm2

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 129
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 206
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2462 on: January 20, 2015, 06:11:22 pm »

Stars put on an excellent live show (small sample size as well -- I saw them once years ago) & I support your analysis. Even the dude's stage-presence is off-putting. It's like he was trained in musical theatre or something, because he's almost too demonstrative with his gesturing and fist-waving while singing. He also sported the only ascot I've ever seen on a non-cartoon person, so there's that.
Logged
Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2463 on: January 20, 2015, 07:29:14 pm »

I'm listening to a Japanese band called Bump of Chicken. I don't say this to recommend them so much as, how can I not take the chance to mention a band called Bump of Chicken.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

ianmalcolm2

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 129
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 206
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2464 on: January 21, 2015, 10:24:11 pm »

This is just so nice. Ol' young Tobias Jesso Jr. is proving himself quite an excellent 'good ol' fashioned' songwriter type.

In a more standard-to-me vein, Doldrums is proving himself to be an adept guy. I saw his live show at a music festival last year, and its kinda-shittiness didn't seem to betray that he had this kind of noise-assault in his arsenal. This is nice song though.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 10:31:38 pm by ianmalcolm2 »
Logged
Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2465 on: January 23, 2015, 04:48:29 pm »

I am not familiar with The Go! Team's previous work (and yes that pretentious exclamation point is part of the name). But I sure as hell love this song.
http://www.stereogum.com/1730210/the-go-team-the-scene-between-video/video/
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2466 on: January 23, 2015, 08:35:37 pm »

Norwegian Wood, damn. That is a satisfying song to play. Trying to get Michelle and struggling a bit, but getting there.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 08:57:42 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2467 on: January 25, 2015, 05:27:35 am »

Loving the direction Inev's guitar playing has taken.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2468 on: January 26, 2015, 07:01:50 am »

iTunes says 7 of my top 20 songs played in the last 5 years are Parquet Courts. I am not sure whether I am actually listening that much, or if I left it on repeat one time. Or both. This is also skewed because for like 2 years I listened to the same hip-hop mix CD 5 days a week on the way to and from work, but itunes does not catch that, obviously.

New album has a VU-type song with some Bowie-style horns that I like.

Judgmental nerd punk's not dead.
Quote
Content, that's what you'd call it
An infant screaming in every room in your gut
...
For this year it became harder to be tender
Harder and harder to remember
Meeting a friend, writing a letter
Being lost, antique ritual
All lost to the ceremony of progress
Like essential organs removed
They're only weighing you down, you don't need 'em
Ignore this part, it's an advertisement
These people are famous, I'd trust 'em

I met this guy once when he was in another band, and I really liked his songs but something about him made me feel kind of nauseous. Possibly that he looks like the guy my ex dated before me who was a scumbag. At some point I am going to run into that guy (ex's ex, not Andrew Savage) if I keep seeing college friends in New York. Ugh.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2469 on: January 26, 2015, 02:12:24 pm »

Yeah, I like last.fm's charting capability, but the primary venue for music for me is my car, and that's not captured.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2470 on: January 26, 2015, 08:03:59 pm »

Both those songs are so good!
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2471 on: January 28, 2015, 07:10:08 pm »

Drenge anyone?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2472 on: January 28, 2015, 08:00:14 pm »

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2473 on: January 28, 2015, 09:45:41 pm »

Homer and Jethro anyone?

Not sure I've ever actually heard Homer and Jethro before. That was quite funny.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2474 on: January 29, 2015, 01:35:01 am »

Not sure I've ever actually heard Homer and Jethro before. That was quite funny.

Yeah, not really what I had expected either.  More sophisticated humor and more musical virtuosity than I expected.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 190   Go Up