Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Man Pat you don't gotta talk to me like they teach you in that class for people with too much anger.

Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 382436 times)

0 Members and 61 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2565 on: July 21, 2015, 02:39:43 am »

The Men are always so close to being amazing and don't quite get there. I have all of their albums (at least through a certain point) and get really excited about the first song and then get bored. I saw them in a basement in St Louis the summer I broke up with that girl, that was an awesome night.

They were the first band shirt I had bought in a few years, and then I immediately outgrew it it shrunk or something. Sucks.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2566 on: July 26, 2015, 07:52:44 pm »

Oh man, I was way behind on the sum of almost everything I want guitars to do.

I just dug through almost 100 pages of this thread looking for the previous song I had posted that did the same verse/chorus texture thing that this song does. Doyyyyy, it was another Kinks song.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 08:38:28 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2567 on: July 26, 2015, 11:23:49 pm »

Oh man, I was way behind on the sum of almost everything I want guitars to do.

I just dug through almost 100 pages of this thread looking for the previous song I had posted that did the same verse/chorus texture thing that this song does. Doyyyyy, it was another Kinks song.

A great song.  Dave Davies is such an underappreciated guitar player.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2568 on: July 27, 2015, 12:37:30 am »

Man, I love that album, but don't like most of their early stuff.  Which is the opposite of most bands.  Except this song, this song is incredible: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj9671V_UxA
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2569 on: July 30, 2015, 05:38:09 am »

Stomach full of drugs and shit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIHr0m-xEpI

Jewish for the court case: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FcDXL5Aw0o
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2570 on: July 30, 2015, 07:43:02 pm »

Oh man, I was way behind on the sum of almost everything I want guitars to do.

I just dug through almost 100 pages of this thread looking for the previous song I had posted that did the same verse/chorus texture thing that this song does. Doyyyyy, it was another Kinks song.

Possibly my favorite Kinks song, so that's saying a lot.

I really love a particular live version of this song. I can't find it on YouTube, but Here is the closest I could find. There's a lot of different versions of the Kinks playing this song live and they are all very different from one another which tells me they were pretty uneven live.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2571 on: July 31, 2015, 10:19:58 pm »

Possibly my favorite Kinks song, so that's saying a lot.

I really love a particular live version of this song. I can't find it on YouTube, but Here is the closest I could find. There's a lot of different versions of the Kinks playing this song live and they are all very different from one another which tells me they were pretty uneven live.

Judging from the tempo, cocaine may have been involved in that version.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2572 on: August 02, 2015, 03:32:35 am »

Saw the last show with original members of my old roommates' band. One guy is going off to grad school and is being replaced. It was excellent. They have all grown long hair and are looking very (70s? grungy?). I am upset, because I took a picture from the street of the patio at this par with almost every single person I know in St Louis, and then the picture disappeared from my phone. I know it was going to come out blurry and dark, but I wanted to capture that moment.

Also, I didn't tell any of them I was coming. They were very surprised/blown away, which felt great. I told them that now I demand to be labeled their biggest fan.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2573 on: August 05, 2015, 01:41:31 pm »

Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2574 on: August 05, 2015, 01:43:21 pm »

You know that thing where your favorite band comes out with a new song and you hate it and realize they are going in a direction you will be unable to follow? One of the advantages of age is that you've learned this is a thing that happens. It's still sad but not as shocking and heartbreaking as the first few times.

Did this happen recently with a particular favorite band or is this just a general observation? (Sorry I don't know your favorite band)
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2575 on: August 05, 2015, 05:53:58 pm »

It did happen recently with a particular favorite band. And at least I could take comfort in the fact that my reaction is more "it's better to have loved and lost..." than it used to be.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2576 on: August 12, 2015, 06:30:22 pm »

I finally found the guitar solo that's been in my head for years. It's "Say That You Love Me" by Fleetwood Mac.

Now that I found it, I am feeling like maybe I "found" it once before. And maybe even posted it on here.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2577 on: August 15, 2015, 12:09:46 am »

Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2578 on: August 16, 2015, 12:56:19 pm »

Great job, guys.

That really killed two birds with one stone. It made a song I never really cared about (Chop Suey) interesting while also giving new life to a song I had become extremely bored with (Crocodile Rock).
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2579 on: August 18, 2015, 08:14:20 pm »

I listened to a KEXP podcast earlier this week in which the host didn't actually name any of the bands or songs. One song in particular made me say "That sure sounds like Swervedriver."
Turns out, it was Swervedriver. Go figure.

Also, if you're not on the Jason Isbell bandwagon yet, this live show may put you there.
http://www.npr.org/event/music/426505568/jason-isbell-live-in-concert-newport-folk-2015
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 190   Go Up