Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Once you been to a few weddings, you realize ain’t nobody gives a damn if you readin’ custom vows or the 1987 “Let’s Go!” guide to Bahrain. Just use that stuff about Do/Don’t and Sickness or Health and you gonna get the job done.  -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 380643 times)

0 Members and 70 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2580 on: August 20, 2015, 03:36:51 pm »

Also, if you're not on the Jason Isbell bandwagon yet, this live show may put you there.
http://www.npr.org/event/music/426505568/jason-isbell-live-in-concert-newport-folk-2015

One minute in, I'm liking what I hear.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2581 on: August 27, 2015, 05:45:28 am »

If I had a favourite KISS cover this would probably be it.

I'm gonna assume that's Garth Brooks doing Hard Luck Woman.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2582 on: August 28, 2015, 08:50:22 pm »

Need to see these guys again. So for hells yeah.

Loved it. Tight!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2583 on: August 30, 2015, 02:19:27 am »

How did I...
what...

how did I forget to check if Parquet Courts were playing shows in NYC this summer. They played several. Now they are going on tour again... and their next show is the week of finals. Again.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2584 on: August 30, 2015, 09:37:57 am »

Fuckers….they are coming west of Texas for the first time, to Denver (which isn't actually west of Texas, but w/e.  Also, it is possible they played the West Coast and never came to Denver, but I sort of paid attention to their tour dates cause I have really wanted to see them for a while and don't remember that happening- though why would I?) and I am moving to LA Monday.  Well, that's okay!  What band plays in Denver and doesn't also go to the West Coast?

Motherfuck*ng Parquet Courts, that's who.  Seriously, I have never really heard of this happening.  The beauty of Denver is it is the biggest place between Texas/Chicago and the West Coast.  That's the only reason to go to Denver if you are a band!  Cause you are going to or coming from California.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2585 on: August 31, 2015, 03:00:36 pm »

Got mad about a whole summer without live music and went to see my college radio contact's band. I had only met this woman in real life once, but we used to talk every single week about what records were getting played on my station. She remembered me like 6 years later, so that was nice.
Got home at 3 AM. It was worth it? Even though I did not get to see the headliner, who are awesome. Maybe boring stage presence. I got worried I was going to miss the last train home so I left as soon as my bud's band played.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2586 on: September 04, 2015, 09:11:36 pm »

I did not get to see the headliner, who are awesome.

Excellent band.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2587 on: September 11, 2015, 05:28:22 pm »

I need more Bob Mould in my life.

That video showed up in Drew Magary's column this week. He wrote of it: "Bob Mould’s father died, so he wrote this. Not a ballad. Not some dinky acoustic garbage. He wrote the loudest shit he possibly could. God bless Bob Mould."
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2588 on: September 11, 2015, 07:39:13 pm »

Listening to Fleetwood Mac and studying for Finance class and wearing faded blue jeans with white sneakers. I know you're supposed to kind of become your parents but this is happening all at once.

Humor: this girl from college commented when I posted this song on FB, then my dad replied to my post, and then she replied to his post? How strange.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 09:07:35 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2589 on: September 15, 2015, 12:00:15 am »

Oh yeah?

This annoying voice is an earworm in the very worst way.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2590 on: October 03, 2015, 01:02:28 am »

Oh man, I am so obsessed with La Luz. Keith especially, check them out.

Black Hole, Weirdo Shrine

You Disappear (maybe better video if you're on the fence after the first)

This lady is NAILING what is great about Dick Dale's surf guitar. So many people play "surf" guitar (including me) that is all major scales and/or the "blues" scale. Her guitar solos especially emphasize weird notes and I love it. But in general, women singing backup vocals and playing nice guitar riffs and really tight drums... I'm dead.

Also apparently the album has 2 inspirations, the comic Black Hole by Charles Burns, and an experience where they got in a car accident and almost all died. I really want to see them for real (I heard, contrary to my earlier statement, that they are actually really intense and fun live).
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2591 on: October 03, 2015, 04:12:25 am »

Oh hey, I was getting some Habibi stuff this week and downloaded a split 7" with La Luz, thought La Luz' song was much better.  Now, because of a what freeleach, I have everything La Luz has ever done!
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2592 on: October 03, 2015, 05:15:33 am »

Whoa, I know a lady who was in Habibi! Her new band (Scully) is really similar I think but I do not remember Habibi super clearly. La Luz are definitely better. Like, so good.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2593 on: October 04, 2015, 07:53:51 am »

I heard them on one of the in studio channel shows I subscribe to on YouTube. I really liked them, great voices. I remember thinking at the time that you would like it.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2594 on: October 30, 2015, 05:06:17 pm »

This video gets the coveted HOLY FUCK.

I feel like I never understood dancing until I saw it in hip hop videos. I mean, I get that it feels good, but I never understood why you would want to watch someone else dance. When they're doing it right, you feel it.

The end part of this video (where the weird drumbeat comes in) makes me feel every emotion.

(Also of course Hotline Bling, which does not make me feel any emotion, and the lyrics are dumb, but the video/dancing are great. I will not comment on whether every woman in the video has an amazing butt, I am not a caveman.)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 05:35:16 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 190   Go Up