Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TOUAMB: Debating the decline and fall of Chris Onstad since 2003.

Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 380552 times)

0 Members and 64 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2595 on: November 02, 2015, 05:23:54 am »

No video, but this song is ruling my brain. That Devo-esque drum beat, blurted vocals, catchy bass, DAMN.

The rest of their stuff is equally great. I'm sure I will discover more good tracks if I ever get past this song and actually hear the rest of the album.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2596 on: November 02, 2015, 07:33:57 am »

This video gets the coveted HOLY FUCK.

I feel like I never understood dancing until I saw it in hip hop videos. I mean, I get that it feels good, but I never understood why you would want to watch someone else dance. When they're doing it right, you feel it.

The end part of this video (where the weird drumbeat comes in) makes me feel every emotion.

Oh yeah, this song appeared on last years Fluxblog. That's a great jam.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2597 on: November 05, 2015, 06:35:20 pm »

My baby boys just got posted on stereogum.

Intriguing, this is not at ALL the song I would have picked. I usually skip it when I listen to the album. But listening to it again, I am realizing that maybe I just don't like the opening of the song. The meat is good.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2598 on: November 07, 2015, 06:19:51 am »

Shit, this song from Bojack is kicking my butt. I normally really do not like singer-songwriter type stuff but, wow.

Being kind of anxious and moderately lonely is so conducive to reacting strongly to songs.

Walked home from the library at midnight past all the cute couples and groups of friends in the undergrad part of town blasting this in my headphones.

Quote
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 06:23:41 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2599 on: November 09, 2015, 03:07:53 am »

Damn, I missed my chance to listen to an NJ band sing about taking the commuter train while I was commuting.

Well, if I'm lucky I'll get a job and I can listen all summer.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2600 on: November 09, 2015, 06:00:22 am »

Todd Rundgren, holy cow!

Ashamed to say I gave my ex these albums for some holiday (maybe Christmas?) because I knew she liked him, but never bothered listening to them.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2601 on: November 09, 2015, 02:09:15 pm »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2602 on: November 09, 2015, 03:10:33 pm »

Gotta love the Todd.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2603 on: November 17, 2015, 08:20:00 pm »

Inev had to know that post would bring out the olds.

Oh, so that's how it's gonna be?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2604 on: November 18, 2015, 06:11:27 am »

Protomartyr are doing it so hard.

Want Remover?

Tarpeian Rock?

Ellen?

Devil in his fuck*ng youth?

These guys get it.

Quote
But it all changed when he came of age
It was nothing like the simulated game
The women didn't love him
The races all ignored him
His proclamations failed
So he screamed
"Now you bend!"

I feel like until recently I was not hearing any of the bands I like singing about modern shit. I actually thought it was impossible to mention a laptop or cellphone or texting in a rock song without it sounding stupid. But these guys pull it off. And parquet courts.

My friend who I have an enormous crush on met them after a show recently and said they were extremely friendly and cool dudes. Damn.

I am also listening to tons of Roomrunner lately. When I saw them a few years ago I noticed the singer does my absolute favorite rock move-- putting the microphone slightly too high and kind of leaning up to it when he sings, and then falling back when it's time to play a lead guitar part. Damn. He also has my guitar.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2605 on: November 18, 2015, 06:46:44 am »

I've been getting into them!  If you see a picture of them they look like 3 black sabbath burn outs with their high school chemistry teacher.  I really like this. 

Also, god damn Jason Molina/songs Ohio/magnolia blah blah is so damn good
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2606 on: November 22, 2015, 05:47:11 am »

The music I tried to get laid to in St Louis is a perfect accompaniment for late night study/code sessions. Blasting it.

This singer has a particular thing going on in her voice that I identify as "LA," which might be spurious.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 05:56:15 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2607 on: November 24, 2015, 04:48:15 am »

Hell and fuck yes my boys

I think my favorites are Elevators and Escalators, 4244, Redline, People's Joy, and Stallioning. But all are good.

(I am mildly bummed that all the promo shots show the new drummer, and not my old roommate who is on the album but quit to go to grad school before it came out)

For some reason the songs other people like are... not the songs I like. Go figure.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2608 on: December 03, 2015, 02:28:50 am »

OMG, takes me back! The cute punk girl freshman year of high school was listening to that compilation on her walkman and told me about it in front of my locker. I thought it sounded stupid, because isn't punk just like angry yelling? I went home and listened to some more classic rock.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2609 on: December 03, 2015, 06:38:33 pm »



*I revived my old Moto Defy by slapping a bootloader over a custom ROM on a recovery reboot and now I have a Android 2.2 phone with 32G of music and books and wireless capability for Netflix.


Hey, I think I could do something like that...
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 190   Go Up