Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood You are on the Night Train. Five Hours have passed. Axl Rose is in the gym car. It's not what you expected.

Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 381324 times)

0 Members and 76 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2610 on: December 04, 2015, 05:40:14 pm »

Wicked Game!

Belatedly realized that on Spotify, when I hear some random song that I like I should add it to a playlist. So now I have a 2-hour playlist of songs I discovered this year and loved. Spotify is magically good at finding 80s punk songs, modern garage rock songs, and weird classic rock gems that I haven't heard. If anyone is interested I can share it. Also, are any of you guys on spotify?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2611 on: December 04, 2015, 06:06:31 pm »

Depending on what yours is doing, it may be simple or...not.

Can't give you what I had because I ran DBAN on the old IDE-PATA drive it was on, so that's gone-gone anyways.

I started reading here when I wanted to root the phone and make it do some non-standard things. Same place was my primary help on bringing the thing back to life.

Come to think of it, I think the Defy might have gotten smashed.  There's a Moto G around someplace whose battry won't charge anymore, that's what I was thinking of.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2612 on: December 07, 2015, 06:35:38 pm »

I'm on Spotify - I mostly use it to play music while I'm at work.  I use Beats/Apple Music on my mobile devices because I have a family subscription to that service.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2613 on: December 08, 2015, 02:15:02 am »

Yeah, those guys are my shit.

There is some of there stuff on this recent "Ork Records: New York New York" compilation that rules. Mid to late 70s "what will be called punk but does not sound like later punk" scene. It is also on spotify.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2614 on: December 09, 2015, 06:47:38 am »

Goddamn, this lady put out an incredibly good breakup album around the time I broke up with that girl. Didn't hear until now. She is good as hell.

I have always avoided anything that seemed "singer-songwriter"-y but that Spotify Discover feature is finding me the good ones.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2615 on: December 19, 2015, 04:56:52 am »

Listening to Pixies on my really good headphones. How can they be so good.

Why am I doing homework at midnight on a friday 3 days after my last exam.

I never got why people thought Joey Santiago's guitar playing was "weird." He just makes cool noises in the background a lot of the time, what's weird about that. In the however many years since then I have realized that... yeah, almost nobody.

I still stand by my belief that none of the bands people say "sound like the pixies" sound like them.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 05:00:38 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2616 on: December 19, 2015, 06:27:12 am »

I feel the same way!  The fall too.  None of those bands sound like the fall.  They are sloppy post punk, but that does not equal sounds like the fall (or the pixies).
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2617 on: December 31, 2015, 06:28:01 pm »

In STL for the New Year, and ate dinner last night with a certain someone and her sisters and their husbands. It felt like a fantasy of the best possible future. Leaving felt like waking up from a nice dream.

So to end 2015 I am going to post this song, and then see if I do one of those things you guys love to hear about. I do not imagine it is going the way I want, but, like the song says, there is no other way.

(yeesh inev, come on, hove some dignity)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2618 on: January 01, 2016, 06:40:22 am »

I ghosted from a party around 11:15. Now I am at home listening to the soundtrack to Searching for the Wrong Eyed Jesus because I'm feeling morose.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2619 on: January 01, 2016, 08:55:32 am »

Yeah, that went about how I expected. Hello, 2016.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2620 on: January 04, 2016, 04:42:08 am »

Was listening to this song's best part as I drove past a building that is getting rehabbed in St Louis. Around the corner from my old place, something about seeing this building that had been abandoned at least since I was in college turned into a new home just nailed me. Had to pull over for a moment and take some deep breaths.

This city has so much damn grit. Sometimes things get better.

(is it getting turned into fancy condos, I bet it is)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2621 on: January 04, 2016, 09:51:51 am »

Remember Inev, Cowards Starve.  You weren't a coward!
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2622 on: January 07, 2016, 02:55:14 am »

Just heard this band perform on Late Show with Stephen Colbert. Really enjoyed it so I went looking for more. Reminds me a bit of early Radiohead which can't be a coincidence given that they are from the same hometown. I'd like to think that every band from Oxford must sound like Radiohead to a certain extent.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2623 on: January 07, 2016, 04:33:50 am »

Listened to Radiohead and Foals for an hour and it's getting too artsy/faggy for me so I had to kick it old school to cleanse my pallate.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2624 on: January 11, 2016, 05:30:02 am »

Bought a ton of records over break, finally giving in... sitting on the floor in my room listening on headphones. I left my big speakers in St Louis (they were a goodwill find that I inherited from a guy who moved out) so my stereo has been sitting here unused for the last year and a half.

Protomartyr are so, so good. They and Parquet Courts make me feel like it is a new golden age of records inev likes. I think 2013-2015 might be tied with the mid 70s and late 60s for most records in my collection, which is crazy. To be fair, most of the modern bands I like are closely following influences from the last few decades (mostly 80s/90s).

But right now I'm listening to some goddamn classical music like a classy dude.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 05:55:36 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 190   Go Up