Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

HIDE YOUR SHAME
by wearing new t-shirts from Word Front Wares. Shroud yourself in pure unadulterated awesome.

Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 380476 times)

0 Members and 62 Guests are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2700 on: May 18, 2016, 12:44:41 pm »

Her two eps are the best fuck*ng things.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2701 on: May 21, 2016, 08:34:23 am »

I don't know if I'm too close, but my first really good friend out here played lead guitar on this record: https://hepa-titus.bandcamp.com/album/follow-me

I'm pretty fuck*ng into it, and real into his guitar, especially his solo on the first song.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2702 on: May 21, 2016, 11:27:39 am »

Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2703 on: June 02, 2016, 02:34:13 pm »

Cross-posting from the Facebooks. Audio from the Nirvana show I went to in Philly in 1991 is available.
http://thekey.xpn.org/2013/10/01/today-in-philly-music-history-nirvana-headlined-j-c-dobbs-in-1991/
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2704 on: June 02, 2016, 06:03:05 pm »

My sister-in-law is a super, super good singer - got her Master's in choral music, gets paid to sing Ave Maria at weddings, sings in a rock band for beers and pocket money.  Everytime I hear her sing it's a little surreal, like "That's Catherine - I know her." 

I don't know if I'm too close, but my first really good friend out here played lead guitar on this record: https://hepa-titus.bandcamp.com/album/follow-me

I'm pretty fuck*ng into it, and real into his guitar, especially his solo on the first song.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2705 on: June 03, 2016, 07:13:32 pm »

Cross-posting from the Facebooks. Audio from the Nirvana show I went to in Philly in 1991 is available.
http://thekey.xpn.org/2013/10/01/today-in-philly-music-history-nirvana-headlined-j-c-dobbs-in-1991/

What is your recollection of this show?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2706 on: June 04, 2016, 03:03:30 pm »

What is your recollection of this show?

Quite a few things. For one, there was a kid in the mosh pit with actual football shoulder pads on under a sweatshirt. I elbowed him in the ribs.

The band was great, super-intense, despite playing such a short set. I personally didn't chant "sell-outs!" But I was a little bewildered that they didn't do an encore.

Then after the show I met the guy from the record label (this was when I was music director at our college radio station), who had promised me a chance to get someone from the band and get a station ID. So he takes me backstage, and plunks me down next to Novoselic, who has his shirt off and is just staring off into space. There are some other random dudes hanging around. It was awkward. I say "Hey, great show man."
Nothing.
"Kinda short though."
One of the other guys leans forward. "Yeah, it was."
OK then. So I pull out my micro cassette recorder (sign of the times, eh?) and my business card. "So, here's our station info, if you could..."
He takes the recorder, turns it on, and says in a goofy high-pitched voice, "Ohhh, you're listening to WFNM, 89.1 in Lancaster! This is Kris from Nirvana saying hee hee hee!"
Turns it off, hands it back to me, resumes staring off into space.
"OK, thanks man." And I left.

Tragically, that never actually got turned into a station ID. I gave the tape to our engineer guy, who said he could transfer it to another format, and I never heard it again.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2707 on: June 04, 2016, 03:36:49 pm »

I think the fate of station ID's recorded by cool bands is to disappear when you give them to the tech guy. Except in my case it was the Vivian Girls, who nobody cares about even 2 years later.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2708 on: June 04, 2016, 03:38:31 pm »

Oh how it must feel so jaded at such a young age.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2709 on: June 04, 2016, 04:58:35 pm »

It's just funny to me to remember how big of a deal I thought that was, and how upset I was when we lost the station ID. I never even listened to their second album, except for the single.

And I'm old enough to be jaded, rock stars are supposed to be dead at my age!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2710 on: June 05, 2016, 02:43:10 pm »

I think the fate of station ID's recorded by cool bands is to disappear when you give them to the tech guy. Except in my case it was the Vivian Girls, who nobody cares about even 2 years later.

We had some good ones. They Might Be Giants did one, as did King Missile, and 3rd Bass.

On one occasion we were messing around in the recording studio, and the guy who did the rap show was there. So we called a guy I knew at a hip-hop label and asked "You got any one around who can do a station ID for us?" He put on some rapper we'd never heard of, who then proceeded to have a lot of trouble getting the station info and the names of our hip-hop DJs right. At one point he said "Oh my motherfuck*ng Jesus," which would have made for an excellent station ID if not for the pesky FCC.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2711 on: June 09, 2016, 03:23:37 am »

New book about the Replacements came out, apparently it's great. Went to a thing in NYC where the author talked with Jon Wurster (of Superchunk, the Bob Mould band, Mountain Goats, and others) about the process of writing the book, his interviews with the band members, etc. It was so cool. He pointed out the band's A&R guy at Sire records in the 80s, as well as a guy who wrote an early article about them in the audience. Great night. Also picked up a copy of the book, gonna read it on the train.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2712 on: June 14, 2016, 08:37:49 am »

It seems popular sport to dis Radiohead, but I still love them and their latest album is frikkin' awesome.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2713 on: June 22, 2016, 02:41:23 pm »

Tomorrow I'm going to see Sleep with one of my St Louis buddies.

Or, maybe I'm going to see them. it's this idiotic system where you have to register for a free ticket, but they distribute more free tickets than there are spots. Then you go wait in line and the first how ever many people are allowed in, everyone else is SOL. Why?? It was the same for a Parquet Courts show at the venue last year and I decided not to even try to go because I was worried I'd take the train there for nothing. This time at least I can hang out with my friend if we don't get in. But what a waste of time.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2714 on: June 22, 2016, 02:49:27 pm »

Anybody keeping up with this TicketMaster thing? It's so weird. Background: http://gawker.com/check-your-ticketmaster-account-you-probably-have-free-1782209001

Yesterday they posted a bunch of shows that were voucher-eligible. That included a fair number of shows at The Venue Formerly Known as Nissan Pavilion (now unfortunately named Jiffy Lube Live), a big outdoor venue in the westernmost suburbs of DC and thus not far from me. Most of them sucked, but there were a few I wouldn't mind seeing for free, including the Weezer show this Friday. But I needed to check on the schedule of some things, so I didn't grab them right away.

The morning, those shows are off the list. All of them. (Tickets still available for purchase, though.) There's other stuff, including a bunch of shows at the Fillmore, a theater-type venue in Silver Spring, but literally nothing I'm interested in. So did all the free tickets for the JLL shows get snapped up? Or did they just put them out there for a day and say "settlement fulfilled?" I suppose I should expect nothing less from a company being forced to give their shit away via lawsuit.

My vouchers are good through 2020, so I have several more years of terrible country bands and 90's retreads to potentially go see.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 190   Go Up