Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Hydroponic seltzer clams.

Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 380210 times)

0 Members and 59 Guests are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2715 on: June 22, 2016, 04:42:31 pm »

The Fillmore is fascinating in that I had no idea how many bands there are in the world that I'd never heard of. I mean, I know I don't keep up to date on listening to lots of new bands, but I don't live in a cave, I read a lot so at least see the names of lots of bands in passing even if I never hear their music. If I look at the list of shows at say the 9:30 Club, the names of maybe 25% will at least be familiar. But in the years since the Fillmore opened, I swear only one or two times have I seen their concert ads and recognized a name.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2716 on: June 22, 2016, 05:31:00 pm »

I haven't heard of almost any of these bands either. Weird.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2717 on: June 22, 2016, 06:00:54 pm »

True. But they wouldn't get booked at the Fillmore if there wasn't a reasonable expectation that someone would come out and see them. Same goes for all the acts at the pavilions that hipsters like us (e.g. Jezebel) say "Man, they're shitty and old," but SOMEONE'S going to these shows.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2718 on: June 22, 2016, 06:14:56 pm »

Yeah. There are venues that seem like the Fillmore in Charlotte, too. Medium sized, only book bands that I have never heard of. I want to figure out what demographic goes to see shows like that.

Maybe it's like the "punk" guy in my program. I initially thought we might like some of the same stuff, but his knowledge of music stops at Green Day. If it was before 1990 it may as well be classical music. He likes modern music that sounds like 90s pop-punk, pretty much exclusively. I guess there are musical scenes out there that are invisible to me.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2719 on: June 22, 2016, 08:26:46 pm »

Oh yeah, I don't doubt that there are people who want to see them. I'm sure I've liked musical groups in my life that had with smaller fan bases than any of them. It's just striking that they manage to book so many acts and they are ALL bands I have never heard of.

Yeah. There are venues that seem like the Fillmore in Charlotte, too. Medium sized, only book bands that I have never heard of. I want to figure out what demographic goes to see shows like that.

Once in a while I pass by when people are lined up to get in to a show. It's funny that it's always different but you can always tell that they are A Demographic.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2720 on: June 22, 2016, 08:58:14 pm »

Speaking of A Demographic, it's striking to me how fine grained those things can get in big cities. One of my friends in NYC would invite me to her parties before she moved away, and every couple had a man who worked in tech and a woman who worked in media. All of the dudes dressed exactly like me and all of the women looked like the cute nerd I'd want to say hi to on the subway (but not say hi to, because I'm not a psychopath).
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2721 on: June 22, 2016, 09:45:18 pm »

True. And yet we all manage to think of ourselves as unique snowflakes.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2722 on: June 22, 2016, 09:49:49 pm »

I'm sure when you go to parties it's all women who speak Japanese and train pugs and write, and their technical staffs.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2723 on: June 22, 2016, 10:45:35 pm »

If that were true, I might actually go to parties.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2724 on: July 13, 2016, 06:58:04 pm »

I know I freak out every time they put something out, but I am legit losing my mind about how much I love this new release by my boys in St Louis. I'm seeing them tomorrow and Friday in NYC and I'm freaking out. They're so fuck*ng tight now.

Hanging on the Telephone cover? Wasted cover? See No Evil? Super high-energy versions of some of their best songs? Put this thing out for real, guys.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2725 on: July 14, 2016, 05:16:51 pm »

I am so hooked on their version of Hanging on the Telephone. My guy nails the "pleading soulful nerd" delivery... they've come so far. At ~15:50. (y u no make an actual track listing...)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 06:52:55 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2726 on: July 16, 2016, 02:41:00 pm »

Radio Kepi has been setting me up all right lately.

Damn fine tune!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2727 on: July 16, 2016, 02:43:18 pm »

One for the Parquet Courts fans. Performing a new song on Late Night with Stephen Colbert. They've extended their band, four guitars, wow. The song features a guest appearance by Houston's own Bun B.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2728 on: July 16, 2016, 02:47:40 pm »

I know I freak out every time they put something out, but I am legit losing my mind about how much I love this new release by my boys in St Louis. I'm seeing them tomorrow and Friday in NYC and I'm freaking out. They're so fuck*ng tight now.

I really like the first song. I'll listen to the rest later.

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2729 on: July 16, 2016, 02:48:34 pm »

I am so hooked on their version of Hanging on the Telephone. My guy nails the "pleading soulful nerd" delivery... they've come so far. At ~15:50. (y u no make an actual track listing...)

They really did a great job with this. Of course, it's such an awesome song it's hard to fuck it up.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 190   Go Up