Every once in a while I have an interaction with one of my peers where they want to rub my face in the fact that the music I like is WEIRD. I never understand why this happens. We were taking turns putting on youtube videos and they hated the video I put on and got MAD about it. I tried to put on something fun that people would like. But no.
What is the deal with this? "Name a band you like that's currently popular." I literally don't know what "bands" are popular... are there bands, groups of people that play instruments, that are currently selling a lot of albums? I like a few songs by Taylor Swift and Drake that I have heard at parties, but they are not the kind of thing I seek out.
This is the same way I feel when people are enraged about award show "snubs." I can't imagine going through life being surprised when others do not like the same things you like. Although I guess I kind of get it, because some part of me is still disappointed when I play something I love and everyone gets mad about how much they hate it.
It's weird because I have gotten way better at not adopting a snobby tone. But just saying "I don't really like ___" is enough to make people pissed.