Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am in a bed with an Asleepness Hat on.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010  (Read 5931 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Thomas Pain

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -49
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 188
  • TOUAMB 2009/2010 TROLL OF THE YEAR
    • View Profile
Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
« on: February 08, 2010, 11:43:40 pm »

http://www.cwgp.org/gurewitch_and_onstad.php

appears to be in Rochester New York
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 12:45:53 am »

Yeah.  I'd go but it would be like an eight hour drive just to get there.  They can't be that interesting.
Logged
ACHIEVE

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 02:29:41 am »

Rochester is... maybe the most depressing place on Earth.

At least where I grew up (two and a half to three hours east of Rochester) even though it is economically ravaged and rusting to the ground, there were only ever maybe 15,000 people there and before the eastern edge of the Rust Belt ate it up and spit it out, it was a picturesque little New Englandesque town and, y'know, the mountains and fields are still beautiful and stuff, some of the great old buildings are still up and so on.

Little Falls is mostly depressing because of the people and the smalltown poverty they live in, all 4500 people and like 15 bars for those 4500 people.

But Rochester, man, you go there and you think "holy crap, this... this was probably a big city once before every employer of consequence left."

All flat and paved over and ugly and empty. Only reaspn there weren't tumbleweed was it was too damn cold.

I only spent three days there, shooting a short film in college and we needed to rent out a minor-league wrestling arena, Rochester having the closest one to 'Cuse but...

Holy God. The despair was fuck*ng palpable.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 04:23:43 am »

according to twitter, onstrad is in chicago now.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 04:46:23 am »

i have family in glens falls (the home of the world's best chili dog) so i interviewed for a job a few years ago in rochester. flew up, cabbed to the office, cabbed back, flew home. the weather was enough to inform my decision.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 04:48:40 am »

The Glens Falls-Lake George area is also the ancestral homeland of both Rachel Ray and Hacksaw Jim Duggan.

To me, though, it is the home of The Great Escape themepark, the nearest rollercoasters to my place of birth.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 07:10:02 am »

do you know dirty john's in south glens falls? if not, go to there. order two for yourself and one for me.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 01:24:07 pm »

Rochester is... maybe the most depressing place on Earth.

Good god man this is not the first time I will say this SORT OUT THE fuck*ng ELLIPSES. That short sentence became impossibly painful to read. Are you missing a word out? I doubt it. You may be being colloquial in your typing but if anyone I know spoke like that, with a pause in the middle of a perfectly normal sentence, they are either incapable of normal human speech or David Byrne, and I don't see any over-sized suits around right now.

It's a shame this works me up so much because the rest of your post was very nicely written, very evocative of the rather depressing failed industrial town vibe. Britain's currently attempting to regenerate nearly all of the thousands of places ravaged by centralism, Brutalist architecture and the development of shopping centres but I doubt some places will ever truly feel like living, breathing settlements ever again.

To get back to the point I would love to see Mr Onstad if he ever came to England but I doubt the fanbase here would make it economically viable. Maybe he can come here on holiday again.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 02:14:28 pm »

don't worry judy, eventually the board will run out of ellipses again. we just won't place a re-order for more.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 03:05:25 pm »

they are either incapable of normal human speech or David Byrne, and I don't see any over-sized suits around right now.


You may find yourself... with another tiny can.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Dangermoose

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 191
    • View Profile
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 06:47:42 pm »

You may be being colloquial in your typing but if anyone I know spoke like that, with a pause in the middle of a perfectly normal sentence, they are either incapable of normal human speech or David Byrne, and I don't see any over-sized suits around right now.

I was going to suggest, that he could, in fact, also be, Ira Glass, but his pauses are more, you know, like commas.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 09:54:45 pm »

Good God, JL.  What a painful interview that was. 
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 10:15:34 pm »

I used to be a lot worse, is all I can really say in my own defense.

In film school, I went through a period of obsessively trying to master naturalistic dialogue structure and, as they say of milk and yogurt, time makes fools of us all.

It's a bit like my lapsing in and out of Anglo-Canadian spellings, I guess.

I assure you that it is not a conscious pretense but I also grant you that it probably gets old when I'm not watching out for it.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 10:32:08 pm »

I just imagine you speaking with those long pauses. It's not that big of a deal.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up