Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am composing a tone poem about eagles, lawnmowers, and Ted Nugent. It is composed only of the sounds of those things.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: mayonnaise  (Read 4972 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: mayonnaise
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2010, 07:28:00 am »

Logged

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: mayonnaise
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2010, 09:35:51 am »

I have spoken of my love for Guthrie's before.  But now I have their secret.

I gotta admit, though, that this knowledge has its price.  Oh, man.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: mayonnaise
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2010, 03:37:55 pm »

I have spoken of my love for Guthrie's before.  But now I have their secret.

Heinz ketchup... nice
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: mayonnaise
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2010, 04:09:55 pm »

Flavoured mayos are also pretty fantastic, I gotta admit.  Aioli is pretty much heaven to me.  I would dip anything in aioli.  Also, I am currently flirting with curry mayo, which is pretty fantastic. 

I have never successfully made homemade mayo either, though I've had it enough times to know it's superior.  I should really make it.  I'm intimitated because as a kid I tried to make it, and didn't heed the whole "slowly add the oil" part and ended up with some separated (yet tasty) salad dressing concoction instead.  I should really try to make it again now that I am older and have some sense.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: mayonnaise
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2010, 07:10:46 pm »

When I was a child I couldn't believe that mayo was made out of other ingredients. It seemed like it had to be a fundamental element. When I was an adult and  learned that it could be made from scratch at home and tried it myself, I felt that my childish view was quite understandable. It really is magic.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: mayonnaise
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2010, 07:30:38 pm »

When I was a child I couldn't believe that mayo was made out of other ingredients. It seemed like it had to be a fundamental element.

Beans.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: mayonnaise
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2010, 07:46:20 pm »

It really is magic.

Especially that a combination of several ingredients I wouldn't describe as "creamy" could turn into something that I consider essentially creamy in texture and flavour.  There's really got to be some magic in it.  Wombat is right, mayonnaise is magic, which is probably why I love it so.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: mayonnaise
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2010, 08:42:57 pm »

thank you, the french, for inventing mayonnaise.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: mayonnaise
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2010, 10:23:52 pm »

I still don't understand how Mayo is not just its own thing.

I didn't have any for a long time, because I forgot that it is awesome.
And then one day when I was home for the holidays, my mom made me a sandwich. With mayo. This was the day that I remembered that mayo is great.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: mayonnaise
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2010, 10:33:17 pm »

maybe we can just pretend that mayo, rather than being formed by the union of average ingredients, is formed by mystical processes known only to the wisest and most trusted elders of society.  we need to invent a mayonnaise creation myth and method.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: mayonnaise
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2010, 02:53:07 am »

picked up some tabasco mayonnaise at the tabasco shop on jackson square this weekend. i'm bummed that it's a gift for a neighbor.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: mayonnaise
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2010, 04:11:49 pm »

Then you shoulda gotten two.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: mayonnaise
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2010, 05:23:50 pm »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: mayonnaise
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2010, 05:47:37 am »

I'm totally down with mayonnaise.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up