Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Jumping jacks, flinging myself off of low decks, yelling into an empty bottle of carrot juice. Trying to get in writing mode.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pokemon  (Read 2032 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Pokemon
« on: March 16, 2010, 03:51:55 am »

Yes? No? Get off my lawn? I am twelve years old and what is this? You used to? Your kids do it? Your dog does it?

Let's broach this discussion.

I got Blue when it came out, and then Silver. When I found out that Crystal was a remake of Gold & Silver, I lost faith in the whole thing. I got back into it with Diamond because it was cool again, at least with nerds. Picked up SoulSilver yesterday.

I did the cards when I was a kid, but now it's of no interest to me, except for the fact that some of them look cool.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 04:13:32 am »

Daughter's into it.  She got SoulSilver yesterday too.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Pokemon
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 05:18:51 am »

Quote
I am twelve years old and what is this?

I like when memes are based on hilarious real-world things, instead of like, that one time that thing happened in a weird japanese video game, or something.

the best memes are like, wow, the world is fucked up and weird without us trying to make it that way.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 07:11:01 am »

Pokemon Gold/Silver were meant to be the series finale

But no, I've never actually seriously played it. The little bit that I did was pretty fun, though.
Logged

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Pokemon
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 01:37:51 pm »

i was too old to watch the american version of the cartoon when it was on during after-school-hours, but that didnt stop me sometimes.  i have played the video games less than 5 times because i am not a video games enthusiast, in the main.  i think some of the critters are rad, espesh the original ones(squirtle, charmander, bulbasaur, koffing).  also, that their name is the sound that they make is a novel and interesting idea.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 02:04:24 pm »

My main exposure to Pokemon was a conversation during college where we were all trying to decide what we would want our names to be if we were Pokemons, bearing in mind that this would also be the only thing we would ever say. The conversation ended in uproarious laughter when a friend decided his Pokemon name would be, "Com'nrubbit."
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 03:06:15 pm »

i have never watched nor played any pokemon media, it has never interested me. am i missing out on honest fun?
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Pokemon
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 03:59:07 pm »

By god I loved the Red/Blue ones when they came out. I was just at the right age for Pokemania(TM) and it took hold of me just as much as anyone else.

Recently re-played through Gold, what a top game. Haven't played any of the ones after that though, Gold was just too perfect.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 04:15:16 pm »

The games are objectively good by any standard.

Okay, check that.

The battle gameplay, as well as the meta-game of picking and training your little dudes, is objectively good.  You're given the opportunity to make strategic and tactical decisions at every turn.

I just don't like the world, and thus I can't play the games.  Who lets these kids go wander the wild with no food or shelter and make friends with wild animals that all have innate particle weapons?
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Pokemon
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 05:40:18 pm »

I went on a kick a few years ago and bought every Psyduck toy I could find.  Haven't messed with it in a while, but the web site is still up.
http://www.bigfool.com/psyduck/
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 08:44:09 pm »

I worked at a comic book store during the height of the Pokemon craze, and we sold the cards and the tiny little "choking hazard" style figurines, which was hella crazy.  Some of them were pencil toppers, others were just useless figures, but they sold like hotcakes.  We had them all layed out on a grid, otherwise we would have had no idea which one out of the hundred the kids were asking for. 

Classic dialoge between myself a boss when children were not in ear shot:

"Hey baby, can I Picachu?"
"Why? Is your Bulbasaur?"
(Insert something suggestive using the name of that one that ended in puss... I can't recall)
"As long as you don't Squirtel."

Anyway, I got really sick of that Poki-shit pretty fast.   

Oddly, my husband is really into the DS games, calling them his "secret shame."   Being an uber-gamer geek, he had dowloaded the new game long before it was released.  He said the game is really good, however the file he downloaded is corrupt, so he's holding out for a better download before playing it.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: [1]   Go Up