Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I shouldn't have to tell people not to hit me on the head nearly so often as I do.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: the noobest noob (at least for now)  (Read 7552 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

robocop

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 38
  • It's Spaghetti Time!
    • View Profile
Re: the noobest noob (at least for now)
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 07:41:44 pm »

"Hey, isn't that TV's #### ####### over there holding hands with that skeleton and talking to that hot dog vendor?"

"That's not private security's #### #######, that's Tom Cruise. He's holding hands with TV's What's-Her-Face. And their not talking to a hot dog vendor, that's Scientology's John Travolta."

"Well, shit. I still want a hot dog."

*Edited for idiocy*
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: the noobest noob (at least for now)
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2010, 08:17:11 pm »


I reside in Los Angeles, and I'm currently a student at UCLA. I'm 26, though my body feels much older, and my mind has had a rough time etching past 15. I'm in Los Angeles for one of the four main (perhaps only) reasons any outsiders end up here. Which of those four describes me will likely be revealed in good time.

I'm generally very self-deprecating (read: insecure), a tad bit neurotic (read: depressed), and perhaps even witty (read: er, witty). (Suppose this might provide some insight to my heretofore mystery LA occupation.)


Another writer, eh? Behave yourself and we might let you behind the velvet ropes and into our VIP, by-invitation-only Writer's Workshop forum.

Not that it will do you much good. It's even quieter than the rest of the board these days. But a little new blood never hurt anyone.

*licks fangs*
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: the noobest noob (at least for now)
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 08:19:04 pm »

And you're in LA? Don't we already have one of you? I kid. Welcome.

Yeah, but he's leaving... on that midnight train to Little Falls.

Another writer, eh?

I thought he was a standup philosopher.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

robocop

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 38
  • It's Spaghetti Time!
    • View Profile
Re: the noobest noob (at least for now)
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 08:25:33 pm »

A writer, yes. The workshop forum sounds intriguing. Sharing and discussion is the best way to improve skill and productivity, the way I see it.

Quote
I thought he was a standup philosopher.

If only. That's a niche market ripe for fresh talent. But I am lacking in both philosophical complexity and comedic bone.
Logged

robocop

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 38
  • It's Spaghetti Time!
    • View Profile
Re: the noobest noob (at least for now)
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 08:35:03 pm »

Yeah, but he's leaving... on that midnight train to Little Falls.

A reference I might somewhat understand! I put together, from my various readings around the block, that this is a reference to one LittleFallsMets (LFM, as Wombat refers to them). There was also an allusion to an as yet unfinished novel by said TOUAMB member. I can only make an educated guess as to the distinct link being made.

I am more of the screenwriting type, which I'm studying currently at UCLA (read: prospective screenwriter/likely to remain prospective screenwriter). But I also dabble in short story and essay.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: the noobest noob (at least for now)
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2010, 08:38:19 pm »

There's a few of us writerly types who string words together for fun and/or profit (though rarely both at the same time). We seem to attract people with an overdeveloped verbosity muscle.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

robocop

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 38
  • It's Spaghetti Time!
    • View Profile
Re: the noobest noob (at least for now)
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2010, 08:46:00 pm »

Aha! The overdeveloped verbosity muscle, better known to many around the neurotic writer as that throbbing pain in the ass.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: the noobest noob (at least for now)
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2010, 02:57:29 am »

I moved to LA under the idea of screenwriting, yeah. Degree from Syracuse and everything.

My life has... not moved on a straight line.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: the noobest noob (at least for now)
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2010, 07:38:21 pm »

I'm technically a professional writer, I guess, though people pay more attention to the numbers I put in Excel than the words I write.

Games are kind of weird.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: the noobest noob (at least for now)
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2010, 08:42:26 pm »

I was a professional playwright, hit the big time, realized I didn't much care for the big time, then took a big step back and started pursuing another career path.  My plays are still getting attention though - one is getting a re-mount in 2011.  Might require a few re-writes. 

I recently found a message board thread where people were debating the content of my play for over a year.  I was tickled by that and printed off the entire thread, which was almost 50 pages long.  I considered posting to it in reply, but I like that people interpret my work on a personal level and never want to tell someone "no you're wrong - this is what I meant."  It was also kind of awesome to see some people bash me hard core.  People aren't honest like that to your face.  Or blatent about their racism - there was some blatent racism there too.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: the noobest noob (at least for now)
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2010, 11:16:02 pm »

Do you trust us enough to show us this thread if we promise not to disturb their ecosystem?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: the noobest noob (at least for now)
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2010, 11:24:38 pm »

What's your new career?

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

robocop

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 38
  • It's Spaghetti Time!
    • View Profile
Re: the noobest noob (at least for now)
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2010, 01:08:15 am »

Congrats Side Show! That's awesome.

My life has... not moved on a straight line.

LittleMetsFalls, do you still work on screenwriting? Or any other form of writing? I have a feeling that no writer leads a life that moves along a straight line.

I'm technically a professional writer, I guess, though people pay more attention to the numbers I put in Excel than the words I write.

What's your career Lister?
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: the noobest noob (at least for now)
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2010, 01:10:33 am »

I'm a professional writer.

I write briefs, memoranda, statutes, regulations, letters, contracts, orders ...
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: the noobest noob (at least for now)
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2010, 01:27:37 am »

I'm a professional writer.

I write briefs, memoranda, statutes, regulations, letters, contracts, orders ...

I'm a professional writer. I write emails to my agent and wait for her to answer them.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up