Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Today's Kim Jong-il Fact™: North Korean state media reports that Kim routinely shoots three or four holes-in-one per round. (Wikipedia)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Wednesday Night Cookery  (Read 16302 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2010, 01:52:23 am »

So it's Wednesday night, and I made a grilled cheese sandwich. It was good, but a bit too buttery/greasy for my taste. Where did I go wrong?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2010, 02:20:16 am »

Did you butter the bread, or the pan? How much cheese did you use, and what kind? Was the bread fresh or stale?

We need details if we're going to analyze your technique.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2010, 02:22:43 am »

Buttered the bread. Shredded (pre-) sharp cheddar. I wonder if I used too much? Bread isn't stale, but not really fresh.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2010, 02:53:08 am »

Buttered the bread. Shredded (pre-) sharp cheddar. I wonder if I used too much? Bread isn't stale, but not really fresh.

Could be that the cheese released a lot of oil/grease.  Whitebread though it may be, American cheese melts more consistently than cheddar.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2010, 02:59:17 am »

I use cheddar all the time but shredded cheese sounds like possibly a bad idea. And you mean those packages of cheese shreds? I would not trust those.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2010, 04:17:59 pm »

Yeah, I wouldn't advise using shredded cheese in a grilled cheese sandwich. My spouse does it all the time, but I find it leads to overmelting.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2010, 04:36:53 pm »

Yeah, I wouldn't advise using shredded cheese in a grilled cheese sandwich. My spouse does it all the time, but I find it leads to overmelting.

IIRC Alton uses shredded cheddar in his grilled cheese.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2010, 05:19:14 pm »

ash, how do you deal with california-sized sticks of butter? i don't know if everybody knows this, but they package the butter different there. they're shorter and thicker and don't fit in regular butter dishes. i bought one of those butter bells once but couldn't get into the swing of it.

one way to avoid a greasy grilled sandwich experience is to use clarified butter, just dip one side of each slice of bread in a plate of it like you're half-making french toast; don't let it soak in too much.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2010, 06:00:55 pm »

IIRC Alton uses shredded cheddar in his grilled cheese.

Even if he does, let's face it, a lot of the things he cooks nowadays are of the Don't Try This At Home variety.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2010, 08:42:01 pm »

SIDE NOTE: Butter is meant to be in a butter dish and sit on a table or counter ready for use unless it is hot as the dickens.
This is one of those battles around the house that I lost long ago.  For whatever reason, my wife refuses to believe that the food preservation technologies we've developed over the past few thousand years (pickling, fermenting, salting, candying, rendering into pure fat, etc) have any validity, so the inside of our fridge is cluttered up with butter, pickle jars, salami, and the like.  So far the vinegar has remained in the pantry though, so its not a total loss.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2010, 08:59:41 pm »

I just like things better cold.

Cool, creamy, sweet-hot mustard on a sizzling, slightly-charred brat fresh from the broiler? Yes please.

I mean, I know you don't *have* to refrigerate snack pack pudding cups, but my kid won't touch them if they're not straight from the fridge, and I can't say I blame him. It makes a difference.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2010, 09:07:41 pm »

I keep my butter in the fridge when it gets to the point (now) that it will straight up melt if left out too long.  I keep pickles in the fridge because I like to eat them cold.  I keep the ketchup in the fridge because I don't use it often and it will go bad eventually if left out.  I put the mustard in the fridge when I am wanting to declutter the kitchen table, but otherwise it stays out.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2010, 09:08:46 pm »

refrigerating bread is the eight mortal sin
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2010, 09:10:23 pm »

Yeah, a bad one.

*thhhppppb*

Pudding and potato salad are best warm and fresh. Chilling either of them is just barbaric, like, at a raised by wolves level of barbarism.

Since when do wolves eat potato salad? Or have refrigerators, for that matter?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2010, 09:13:21 pm »

since lon chaney first bayed
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up