Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Making money from art is not vulgar. Art is a commodity. It makes people feel something. It raises the greater sum of human happiness. It increases the gaiety of the nation. It has a value. -John Allison

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Wednesday Night Cookery  (Read 16237 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2010, 12:32:02 am »

some guy who is trying to hard to be funny/badass posted these recipes online, and I want to try them:

ake a lesson from the Puerto Ricans. Millions of us have managed to survive in one of the most expensive cities on earth with recipes like this:
Find a supermarket that has black beans on sale. Buy as much as you can. Then buy 5 or so pounds of Carolina rice, a bag of onions, a few bulbs of garlic, and a box of Goya Sazon.
Set 2 cups of water to boil
Dick around on reddit until the water is boiling
Throw in one cup of rice, turn the heat down to simmer and lid that shit
Slice up a small onion
Smash up a clove of garlic
Throw some olive oil or butter into a HOT pan.
Throw the onions and garlic into the pan and fry them till the onion gets glassy. Throw some salt in there.
Grind some pepper in there for good luck.
Toss in half a packet of Sazon and stir till you get a paste. Now you have a ghetto sofrito.
Dump in your can of beans bean juice and all.
Stir that shit up.
Add a pinch of Cayenne pepper so you remember that you have a set of cojones
Set that shit on simmer
Your rice is done.
Throw the beans on top.
Win
You should get at least 2 meals out of one can of beans, and if your lucky you can get black beans 2 for $1. Adding the cost of the Garlic, Sazon and a small onion and you still eat a tasty, hearty, relatively healthy meal for less than $1.
Now. You are a growing lad. You need MEAT
OK, first of all, fuck eating lips and assholes. There is a much, much tastier option that has kept millions of starving boriquas alive for generations: PORK SHOULDER.
In my neighborhood in Brooklyn, Pork shoulder is 79 cents a pound. That's right. 79 cents. A package of hot dogs at $2.50 is more than double the price and has offal and all sorts of vile shit inside.
Buy yourself a nice meaty pork shoulder. 5 lbs should do nicely.
Bring that fucker home and get out a long, thin knife.
In a pilon (that's a mortar and pestle gringo) smash up a few cloves of Garlic, some sazon, some, salt, some pepper, and some oil. Grind it up GOOD. Now you have another ghetto sofrito.
Take your knife and stab some holes in the pig. Twist the knife around so the holes get nice and wide.
Now, take some of your sofrito and stuff it into the holes. Don't be shy blanco, ram it in there. Use the remainder to roughly coat the outside of the pig. RUB IT. CARESS IT. This pig died so that you may eat. Salt that shit all over the outside and crack some fuck*ng pepper on there.
Set your oven for ~300 degrees
Throw the pork in skin side up and WAIT.
It's going to take like 45 minutes a pound...
A warning: The smell is going to drive you fuck*ng INSANE. You have to wait this part out. Farm work is the best cure.
After an an hour and a half, jab it with a meat thermometer, but remember to not rest it on the bone, or you will get a bad reading.
You should be at around 150-160 degrees. Now comes the fun part. CRANK the stove up to 400 degrees. This will give you an orgasmic, crispy skin that will make your pork rinds taste like year old carboard comparison.
At 170 ish? Pull that fucker out, but DON'T carve it up. You need to wait at least ten minutes otherwise all those sweet, sweet pig juices will dribble the fuck out. WAIT.
Congratulations. You just made Pernil. A five pound Pernil should give you meat for at least a week. SAVOR IT BROTHER. SAVOR IT
Edit: Forgot the best and cheapest fuck*ng recipe!!!
TOSTONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fuck me. Green plaintains are usually like 5 for a fuck*ng dollar!
Here's my mom's recipe:
Fry up some bacon. Set the bacon aside and save that lovely, glistening fat.
Take a plantain and run a knife down the side and split the skin off without breaking the plantain. This takes a bit of practice.
Slice up the plantain into ~1/3 inch thick slices. Throw them into a bowl of ice water.
You have a fry daddy? You're golden papi. No? Pour around half an inch of oil into a frying pan. Corn oil works best, olive oil smokes too easily. Get that shit hot! Throw in your bacon grease.
Take your sliced up plantains out of the ice water and drain them or even pat them with a paper towel till they're dry.
Fry em up until they just turn golden.
Throw them in the freezer for 10 minutes.
Now, here is where you become a MAN: Get yourself a flat bottom glass and a cutting board or a plate. Throw some flour on there. Smash the plantains with the cup. You may need a spatula to get them off the board...
Fry em AGAIN until they are golden and crispy
Make all three of these things together and you have an incredibly delicious and cheap meal!

Our fridge sucks, and all of the meat I buy goes bad really fast. I need to start buying it the day I'm going to cook it. Damnit.

I just keep buying food that goes bad. I am mostly living on these little noodle things from Trader Joe's, salami sandwiches, and pink lemonade. and pickles.
(and beer.)

I am craving Sierra Nevada lately. But right now I've got half a 12-pack of Schlafly #15 left. Goddamn I love beer.

I also have a tall-boy of Bud Light with Lime I inherited from a departing friend. Interested/scared.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2010, 01:03:10 am »

Drink that bud after you've already had a few drinks and it won't offend so much. At least it isn't one of those abominations with Clamato added.

On the subject of cheap eats, buy your beans dry and soak them yourself. Shop at the local Asian market for really cheap produce, rice and questionable meats.

Best grilled cheese: wheat bread buttered on the pan side, sharp cheddar sliced from a large block plus julienned sun-dried tomatoes and a generous squirt of sriracha.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2010, 01:24:20 am »

Bud lime is disgusting. My quest for Bud Clamato ended up with a serious rub with the Law.
Miles, pick up this book for cheap and easy bachelor eats: http://www.amazon.com/Man-Can-Plan-Great-Meals/dp/1579546072
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2010, 01:36:32 am »

Bud+Clamato is a bastardization of one of my favorite summertime drinks: a raw oyster, 3 oz of PBR and some cocktail sauce. I could drink those forever.

Feel free to substitute the PBR with a shot of vodka if you're looking to get sloppy.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2010, 01:53:44 am »

Miles, pick up this book for cheap and easy bachelor eats: http://www.amazon.com/Man-Can-Plan-Great-Meals/dp/1579546072

Could definitely come in handy. Wishlist'd.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2010, 02:01:22 am »

tostones are not the way.  i love me some platanos maduros.  make sure your platanos are just past ripe.  soft and pliant, but not mushy.  peel them and slice diagonally (about 1/2-inch-thick).  fry the slices in 1/3 cup of hot oil on moderately high heat until they are golden brown (a few minutes on each side).  i was taught to drain them on paper towels.  all the recipes from the internet say to sprinkle them with salt at this point, but thats heresy.  i sprinkled them with sugar as they drain/cool.

the bottom one is ideal for this:



here is what you get at the end:

Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2010, 11:17:27 pm »

We bought that book for The Boy last year and have had him doing a meal a week-or-so out of it just to get him ahead of all those dudes who leave home and eat like shit because Mommy is gone. It's a good starter, but really should be only a stepping stone to real cookery.

Hey man, I eat like shit because I'm lazy. I used to cook for myself, pretty well too, but it's been a while. Why you gotta talking about my moms?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2010, 12:16:28 am »

Relax, you were not the specific example intended. I've got knowledge of enough other folks in meat-space that fit the bill just fine to establish the general category

Oh I'm relaxed, just fuck*ng around.

And great tips, keep them coming people. I'm changing my life as we speak!
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2010, 12:21:12 am »

Greenkoolayd, why does your cuisine prefer the rather flat tasting plantain over the sweet and delicious banana? Ive wondered this for a long time.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2010, 12:35:55 am »

The firm starchiness of the plantain lends itself to far more non-dessert applications, yeah?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #85 on: July 01, 2010, 01:04:51 am »

So I've just found a great way to learn how to cook. Watch this guy's videos and simply do the exact opposite:

Cooking Hot Dogs and Peaches
How to Cook a Cheeseburger Like McDonald's
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #86 on: July 01, 2010, 01:08:27 am »

So I've just found a great way to learn how to cook. Watch this guy's videos and simply do the exact opposite:

Cooking Hot Dogs and Peaches
How to Cook a Cheeseburger Like McDonald's
All the Masaokis videos are gold. Its a shame he took them all down and now were only left with the ones people saved. He is clearly insane, but coherent enough to make hilarious videos. Theres even one non-cooking video where he burns his mail in a toilet so Al Gore won't be able to find him.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #87 on: July 01, 2010, 01:24:53 am »

I somehow missed them before now. Every time I think "this is clearly the stupidest thing I have ever seen anyone do" he manages to top that in the next 15 seconds.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 01:29:23 am by Mr Trout »
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #88 on: July 01, 2010, 01:48:19 am »

oh no.

he puts the soap on the hot dog and...

no. no.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #89 on: July 01, 2010, 05:44:34 am »

So I've just found a great way to learn how to cook. Watch this guy's videos and simply do the exact opposite:

Cooking Hot Dogs and Peaches
How to Cook a Cheeseburger Like McDonald's

I didn't watch enough to tell if that guy is for real.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up