I just finished this about a week ago. I was really worried early on that it would boil down to "Batman did it"
Fuck, that's the one! Thank you! I was watching The Venture Bros. the other day and remembered that someone had mentioned the show and the book in the same post. I couldn't remember what exactly the comparison was and I couldn't for the life of me remember the title, but somehow your Batman comment triggered it. This is going on my list.
I just finished Brighton Rock which took me a while because I haven't been giving myself much time to read. Also I've been reading a bunch of comics. Though I'm behind on all of them so I need to go see if I can find some back issues. Has anyone read Chew?
Next in my stack of books is some Evelyn Waugh, but I might change things up a bit and go straight for Soon I Will Be Invincible. And this girl I've been seeing is going to make me read Quicksilver once she finishes it, and after reading this thread that feels right.