Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Once you been to a few weddings, you realize ain’t nobody gives a damn if you readin’ custom vows or the 1987 “Let’s Go!” guide to Bahrain. Just use that stuff about Do/Don’t and Sickness or Health and you gonna get the job done.  -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 24   Go Down

Author Topic: Book Thread  (Read 93110 times)

0 Members and 16 Guests are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #150 on: April 24, 2012, 03:55:59 pm »


I'm also stoked to be starting a new nonfiction at the same time -- The Disappearing Spoon (And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements). I think I picked it up based on somebody's positive review on Goodreads, but I'm not sure.


I'm most of the way through this book and I am really enjoying it. It's a history book about chemistry; I have read consumer reviews from people who were disappointed because they expected it to be a chemistry book about history. Also, some people criticized it for jumping around in time too much. Well, duh -- that's because it's organized thematically; if it were chronological, it wouldn't make any dang sense. But if you like books that are filled with amusing anecdotes and which assume you already pretty much know about major events in 19th and 20th century world history, this is probably a win. As a bonus, I'm learning/remembering a lot about chemistry, and it's making me think about everyday things in a new way.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #151 on: May 01, 2012, 08:55:52 pm »

I mentioned The Art of Racing in the Rain elsewhere, but I thought I'd note here that after being unable to put it down from start to finish, I loaned it to my SIL who did the same, then leant it to my FIL who did the same who has now passed it on to my MIL.  I've heard horrible rumours of a film version they're making, so I highly recommend reading it before it gets ruined. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #152 on: May 04, 2012, 06:00:54 am »

Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #153 on: September 17, 2012, 10:32:35 pm »

yeah that's a particularly good short story. here's another slightly more famous one. leave slaughterhouse five to read in  a while, after you've gotten a bit more familiar with his style and substance. enjoy!
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #154 on: September 18, 2012, 03:07:24 am »

Been reading simultaneously Let us Now Praise Famous Men and Anna Karenina. Slow going.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #155 on: September 19, 2012, 06:49:08 pm »

I finally finished The Malazan Book of the Fallen series nly to find out the dude has started a new trilogy in the same universe. Has anybody started The Mongoliad?
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #156 on: September 19, 2012, 10:33:29 pm »

Has anybody started The Mongoliad?
That sounds rather non-PC.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #157 on: September 20, 2012, 02:08:39 am »

That sounds rather non-PC.

It's by Neal Stephenson and others. It's set around a not-historically-accurate Earth during the spread of the Mongol empire. There are Khans in it.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #158 on: September 20, 2012, 01:12:29 pm »

It's by Neal Stephenson and others. It's set around a not-historically-accurate Earth during the spread of the Mongol empire. There are Khans in it.

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #159 on: October 01, 2012, 11:23:43 pm »

Low hanging fruit, Aug.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #160 on: October 02, 2012, 03:02:17 am »

Low hanging fruit, Aug.

Sometimes it's the sweetest.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #161 on: January 17, 2013, 11:09:42 pm »

I'm extremely tempted to delete that link, but I guess anyone could find it who wanted it. Sigh.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #162 on: January 18, 2013, 04:51:23 am »

Thanks Ash, I was almost about to pay for that book. Just kidding Wombat, put down the gun.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #163 on: January 18, 2013, 01:36:44 pm »

To be serious for a moment: I have all the material, outline, draft chapters etc for a second Animals Behaving Badly-type book - it could be written at this point in a few weeks - but because the first one didn't sell enough, it's not going to happen.

And there is a second mystery, but because the first one didn't sell enough, the publisher declined to publish it.

I'm guessing that particular author is doing OK financially, but if anyone is thinking of doing this sort of thing in another case: People tend to think that anyone who has had a book published is making a good living writing books, but in fact a whole lot of them have day jobs. And if you want to be able to read another book by that person someday, you need to put your money where your mouth is.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #164 on: January 18, 2013, 06:27:34 pm »

Ash, I am waiting to hear from a couple of ebook publishers but if they say no I have probably run out of options, so at that point I may take you up on that.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 24   Go Up