Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You..Are..Rad

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 72   Go Down

Author Topic: Aminals  (Read 233219 times)

0 Members and 39 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Aminals
« Reply #495 on: January 12, 2014, 05:57:21 pm »

Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Aminals
« Reply #496 on: January 12, 2014, 10:53:10 pm »

That looks like a story that won't get retold over beers and cigars.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Aminals
« Reply #497 on: January 13, 2014, 02:08:52 am »

pandas are assholes
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Aminals
« Reply #498 on: January 13, 2014, 02:09:23 pm »

I expect to see a follow-on picture with the panda wearing that jacket.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Aminals
« Reply #499 on: January 15, 2014, 06:43:35 pm »

I wonder if Lileks spends as much time going to the vet as I do. Or half as much anyway since he only has the one.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Aminals
« Reply #500 on: January 15, 2014, 11:45:31 pm »

My Petunia is turning 9 this spring1.  I'm thinking a trip to the vet just for form's sake is probably in order.   She is remarkably low maintenance so far.


1 The only way I know this is I have a puppy photo of her with the digital date stamp on it because I couldn't operate the camera properly
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Aminals
« Reply #501 on: January 16, 2014, 03:05:33 am »

That's a beautiful puppy dog Ash. Love that old guy.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Aminals
« Reply #502 on: January 16, 2014, 06:39:12 am »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

ianmalcolm2

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 129
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 206
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
Re: Aminals
« Reply #503 on: January 17, 2014, 02:50:28 am »

man that is great. jasper the dog looks like a cool guy, and 19 years together says something. yay for some dogs.
Logged
Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Aminals
« Reply #504 on: January 17, 2014, 06:01:48 pm »

Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Aminals
« Reply #505 on: January 17, 2014, 11:28:53 pm »

ugh
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Aminals
« Reply #506 on: February 04, 2014, 12:13:53 am »

Get you some tissue before you read about Jasper the Dog.

Aw man. Sometimes I hate the internet. We didn't used to have to be sad about dogs we never even met.

I'm afraid we're at the start of the "normal gets redefined every month or so" period with the Number One Pug. As soon as we cure one problem, another one pops up. But she's still having a good time.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

ianmalcolm2

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 129
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 206
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
Re: Aminals
« Reply #507 on: February 04, 2014, 05:29:58 pm »

Get you some tissue before you read about Jasper the Dog.



This was written so well. It made me feel feelings that I wasn't disgusted at. The bond between man and dog is such a weird one, and it's a difficult task to recognize the fundamental strangeness of our instinct to anthropomorphize while accepting its necessity.

RIP Jasper. Sounds like he lived about 7000 really great days with people he loved, and that's pretty much the whole point of the only game in town.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 08:07:35 pm by ianmalcolm2 »
Logged
Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Aminals
« Reply #508 on: February 04, 2014, 07:01:20 pm »

The bond between man and dog is such a weird one, and it's a difficult task to recognize the fundamental strangeful of our instinct to anthropomorphize while accepting its necessity.
I think its important to remember that dogs have been effectively created by man over the centuries to be anthropomorphized animals.  More so than any other species, dogs can relate to us and we can tell a great deal about them.  There is an extravagant romanticism of that bond in the popular consciousness, but fundamentally when I am feeling down my dog can tell and she behaves in a way that I find comforting.  If I had a pet pot-bellied pig, despite its superior intelligence, it wouldn't be able to respond as appropriately as a dog. There was a great episode of Cosmos about the relationship between human and dog that goes into a lot of the ways that they have adapted to their companion role.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Aminals
« Reply #509 on: February 04, 2014, 07:03:47 pm »

I think its important to remember that dogs have been effectively created by man over the centuries to be anthropomorphized animals. 

Yeah, this. I've never heard it put quite this way, which is kind of perfect.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 72   Go Up