Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wombat changed her avatar back and no one noticed. Her feelings are hurt.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: The World Cup 2010 Thread  (Read 36188 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #180 on: July 02, 2010, 02:30:59 pm »

Ahem.  Australia and Ireland would like to disagree with you.

I'm always enchanted to find that something I've never previously heard of has a 5000 word wiki article.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #181 on: July 02, 2010, 03:34:25 pm »

Ouch, an OG then a red card? Man, it is not that guy's day.
Logged

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #182 on: July 02, 2010, 03:55:02 pm »

HUP HOLLAND HUP!

Brazil are out!

Terrible game for Melo as CortJstr mentioned. Shame as he ran the first half pretty well, superb pass for Robinho's goal, just let his frustration get the better of him after the OG.

Great game that.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #183 on: July 02, 2010, 09:04:16 pm »

This game is MOTHERfuck*ng INSANE

I LOVE YOU FOOTBALL. I LOVE YOU SO MUCH
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #184 on: July 02, 2010, 09:19:29 pm »

Up yours Uruguay. Handballing cheating nobbers. Fair play for holding out I guess
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #185 on: July 02, 2010, 09:51:33 pm »

Up yours Uruguay. Handballing cheating nobbers.

QFT. I think. I don't know precisely what a "nobber" is but it doesn't sound good.
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #186 on: July 03, 2010, 08:55:31 am »

Curse of the United States muddafuckaazzzz !!!!!

But seriously though, that was the wildest ending of any game ever played.

And hah hah to Brazil, scored too early, overconfident nobs, definitely lost the mental game.
Logged
ACHIEVE

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #187 on: July 05, 2010, 02:11:02 pm »

Damn. Argentina gets destroyed and poor Messi, not a single goal, and I heard he had something like 30 shots on goal? I mean, I'm not a fan or anything but I kind of feel for the guy.

A German/Dutch final should be pretty good. That's what I'm calling. And then a German victory.

Edit: To be clear, I heard Messi had 30 shots on goal for the entire World Cup, not that one match.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 02:59:09 pm by miles »
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #188 on: July 06, 2010, 02:08:32 am »

Tomorrow's semifinal:  Uruguay v. Nederland.

From the way things are going I think Uruguay are destined to win the tournament.  But if any team can beat them, it's the Dutch.  If Uruguay can dominate the ball possession in this game, they should win, so I'm gonna call it 2-1 Uruguayans, both goals from the beast, Diego Forlan.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #189 on: July 06, 2010, 04:24:09 pm »

Interesting Robo-G, I'm calling a Dutch victory though it'll be close. Whether Sneijder can influence the game to the degree he usually does is crucial I reckon, Uruguay's midfield is certainly tenacious and I doubt he'll get the kind of space he normally does. Suarez being out is a big miss for Uruguay, really felt he could expose the relatively flat-footed Dutch defence.

Hopefully Forlan has a stormer though. He's had a cracking World Cup
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #190 on: July 06, 2010, 08:57:01 pm »

Interesting Robo-G, I'm calling a Dutch victory though it'll be close.

Of course it'll be close.  The most lopsided victory I've seen so far was 4-0.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #191 on: July 07, 2010, 01:42:36 am »

Of course it'll be close.  The most lopsided victory I've seen so far was 4-0.

If it makes you feel better you can think of it as 28-0
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #192 on: July 07, 2010, 01:59:04 am »

Well I guess 'close game' is kind of subjective in both the footballs, but soccer moreso.  A one goal differential could be close or not.  A nine point differential could be a close game if the Raiders are leading the Chargers, while insurmountable if it's the other way around.

On the World Cup level though, I guess it does seem always close.  The biggest lopside this tourney was Portugal 7 - 0 North Korea, but it went into the half at 1 - 0.
Logged
ACHIEVE

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #193 on: July 07, 2010, 02:05:37 am »

Of course it'll be close.  The most lopsided victory I've seen so far was 4-0.

Well Portugal beat N. Korea 7 - 0, but you have a point. Not to be a dick, but that one wasn't a shocker.

Today's match was pretty close there at the end though (we slowed down at work enough that I was able to catch most of the end).

I still stand by my prediction from yesterday: a German/Dutch final (have half right so far!) and a German victory. First they have to beat Spain which won't be easy, but this is their year.

Edit: Ah, you beat me to it, robo-god, and good point about the subjectivity of a close game. Some games with one goal differentials don't feel very close at all, but when Uruguay scored to make it 3-2 today it made a two goal differential match very precarious for the Dutch in the closing minutes.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 02:20:43 am by miles »
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #194 on: July 07, 2010, 02:23:57 am »

maybe they should make every goal worth 2 or 3 points, like basketball. then americans could love soccer.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17   Go Up