Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That you can post photos to the TOUAMB Flickr Pool?

Poll

Favorite Hotdog Condiment

Mustard
Ketchup
Mayonaise
Hotdog Sauce
Ranch Dressing (WTF?)

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Hotdogs! (Formerly Tacos!)  (Read 25520 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #120 on: July 20, 2010, 08:18:36 pm »

What in the fuck is hot dog sauce?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #121 on: July 20, 2010, 08:20:25 pm »

also, there is this chilean food that my mom says means "rags" or "leftover pieces" or something, but apparently in other spanish-speaking countries it means something like "panties" or "thong," i forget what specific word.

Ropa vieja?
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #122 on: July 20, 2010, 08:21:40 pm »

Is it anything like cowboy sauce?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #123 on: July 20, 2010, 08:23:36 pm »

What in the fuck is hot dog sauce?

Every place has it's own style and recipe but Nick's is probably the most well known: http://nicksconeysauce.com/nicks_sauce/unique_characteristics.htm
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #124 on: July 20, 2010, 08:41:25 pm »

I don't recall us talking about Cort's prodigious link.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #125 on: July 20, 2010, 08:47:15 pm »

It's kinda like putting a pineapple slice on something magically makes it Hawaiian-style.

This reminds me. I really need to try a Spicy-Salty-Sweet pizza (jalapeno, bacon, pineapple) as soon as I can locate a pizza place that uses fresh jalapeno instead of the nasty jarred kind.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #126 on: July 20, 2010, 08:48:54 pm »

You are allowed to put anything on a hotdog as long as it is not ketchup.

Right now I am going to put homemade refried beans, rice, salsa, cheese and sour cream in a flour tortilla and call it delicious.

I have a friend who likes mayo on his hot dogs. I swear, it's not me -- it sounds like something I would do, but I've never tried it. Well, except on corn dogs, but that doesn't count.

We got a hot dog cart for one of our parties at the radio station, and the guy was an atlas of hot dog knowledge. He'd ask where someone was from, and then say "oh, central Ohio, so you want sauerkraut and brown mustard, with a pickle on the side? (made up example)" He knew every regional variety.

If I'd told him I was originally from Toledo, he probably would have referenced Tony Packos. That's what we call a hot dog back in the Old Country. Jamie Farr used to talk about it in his role as Klinger on M*A*S*H.

Thing is, I've never been to Packos, and I don't care for chili sauce -- too spicy for my tender palate. I like my dogs with just a smear of sweet hot mustard, nothing else. I guess I'd take grilled onions if they were available, but I don't make them at home because Pedro doesn't eat them and it's not worth it to make them just for me.

Tonight we're having a Southern bastardization of Polish cuisine -- what passes for kielbasa from the Harris Teeter deli, grilled like brats, and Mrs. T's frozen pirogi, fried up in a pan. I make no pretense of authenticity -- this so-called kielbasa in my fridge is PINK! -- but more of an homage to my ethnic roots, if you will.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #127 on: July 20, 2010, 08:53:44 pm »

To pull things together:  behold the chilean hotdog!

Yup - that's mayo and mashed avocado, plus a little diced tomato.  Proof that adding avocado to all things does not make it Californian.

I've had one of these once.  It wasn't my cup of tea, although mayo and avocado are two of my favorite things.  Then again I am not a hot dog fan, so perhaps that was more of the problem.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #128 on: July 20, 2010, 08:55:28 pm »

He'd ask where someone was from, and then say "oh, central Ohio, so you want sauerkraut and brown mustard, with a pickle on the side? (made up example)"

made up example = dead-on fact

how did you do that get out of my braaaaain
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #129 on: July 20, 2010, 08:57:34 pm »

Avocado's on a hotdog sounds like a thing, man.  A thing I am going to try.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #130 on: July 20, 2010, 09:32:07 pm »

Enjoy Paul.  It was certainly a more oozy/globby experience than any other hot dog I'd ever had. 

Can I get some clarification in relation to avocados on a taco?  Is that a thing that is done?  I mean I've done it for both tacos and fajitas, but does how does the barometer swing on this one?  Does adding say diced avocado or guacamole move the whole procedure further away from the wavering standard of what a taco is, or is it a legit addition?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #131 on: July 20, 2010, 09:45:01 pm »

Can I get some clarification in relation to avocados on a taco?  Is that a thing that is done?  I mean I've done it for both tacos and fajitas, but does how does the barometer swing on this one?  Does adding say diced avocado or guacamole move the whole procedure further away from the wavering standard of what a taco is, or is it a legit addition?

As far as I can tell an avocado on a taco is perfectly fine.  It's still a taco.  Unlike adding beans it doesn't change it into something different.

Let's recap shall we.

  • Beans on a soft corn tortilla is a taco (you happy now Choop?).
  • Beans on a crispy fried corn tortilla is a tostata.
  • Beans on a soft flour tortilla is a burrito.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #132 on: July 20, 2010, 09:50:35 pm »

Avocado really does nothing for me besides being squishy and nasty.  I like it on the outside of a sushi roll and can tolerate it on the inside of sushi roll, but I agree with the Onstad line, "they taste like gelatin, people."

Anyway, I just feel I have to add that I like black beans the best of beans.  The best bean.  Beans.  I like black beans.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #133 on: July 20, 2010, 11:18:52 pm »

Beans on a soft corn tortilla is a taco (you happy now Choop?).



(that's me on the left, so happy)
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #134 on: July 21, 2010, 12:13:29 am »

I thought they were San Francisco burritos.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14   Go Up