Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Jumping jacks, flinging myself off of low decks, yelling into an empty bottle of carrot juice. Trying to get in writing mode.

Poll

Favorite Hotdog Condiment

Mustard
Ketchup
Mayonaise
Hotdog Sauce
Ranch Dressing (WTF?)

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Hotdogs! (Formerly Tacos!)  (Read 25489 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #150 on: July 21, 2010, 02:13:22 pm »

Now I want a hot dog in a taco shell with mac & cheese on top. Just like Wigu used to make.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #151 on: July 21, 2010, 02:45:41 pm »

No, wait:

Quote
...Eat Wonky, a new truck serving poutine that is set to open its doors in mid-August.

Canadaphiles might be familiar with the Quebecois favorite, but if you aren't, picture french fries smothered in gravy and topped with marble-size cheese curds.

In addition to offering the Canadian staple straight up under the name Wonky Fries, Kelley and Kaloosion are giving it an American twist by putting the whole shebang on a hot dog.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/20/AR2010072003020.html
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #152 on: July 21, 2010, 02:52:47 pm »

Olga's Kitchen was my favorite restaurant as a kid. The Toledo store was inside a mall, not in the food court area, but on the other wing, accessible from inside the mall or out. They have this soft, sweet pita bread that's just divine -- not like any other bread I've ever had, anywhere.

I used to get an Olga Dog off the kid's menu -- an all-beef dog grilled until just barely brown wrapped in a soft, warm blanket of thick pita with swiss cheese melted delicately in between. I can taste it even now. After we'd eat, Mom would get me a piece of bread in a to-go box, and I'd surreptitiously nibble on it while she shopped the rest of the mall.

So. Good.

There are Olga's Kitchens all over Michigan, but Toledo is the southernmost store, AFAIK. They're still there, so if you're ever in Toledo near Franklin Park/Westfield Mall, pop into Olga's for me. There isn't a person on this board who wouldn't get a good meal there. I go whenever I'm visiting, and it's still fabulous.

Of course, now I get the Steak & Cheese, because I'm a grown-up. Pedro gets the Original, which is sort of like a twist on a gyro, with both lamb and beef.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #153 on: July 21, 2010, 03:43:32 pm »

Poutine sounds like  it would be a good compliment to a hotdog, but I don't know why you would use it as a topping.  Kindly reminds me of KFC's Famous Bowl.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #154 on: July 21, 2010, 04:05:56 pm »

I got a KFC bowl once long after the hype and it tasted so bland.  Poutine on the other hand can have flavor actually worth describing.

There's a Belgian fry joint in the city that serves poutine that is so good, it's like the cheese curd was jizzed out of God's own dick.  And the gravy. . . well . . .

But anyway I try to avoid fries whenever possible because the mantra "just don't get fries" is a pretty effective diet.
Logged
ACHIEVE

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #155 on: July 21, 2010, 06:14:14 pm »

the idea of a child nibbling on "a piece of bread in a to-go box" makes me think of, like, the old times.

it is a weird combination of the modern concept of the to-go box and giving your child a treat to nibble on, and the jarring idea of... nibbling on a piece of bread with nothing on it.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #156 on: July 21, 2010, 06:18:01 pm »

Thanks a lot people.  The mere mention of poutine, and I end up ordering it for lunch.  The fries were crispy, the gravey nice, but there wasn't enough cheese.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #157 on: July 21, 2010, 06:23:55 pm »

the idea of a child nibbling on "a piece of bread in a to-go box" makes me think of, like, the old times.

it is a weird combination of the modern concept of the to-go box and giving your child a treat to nibble on, and the jarring idea of... nibbling on a piece of bread with nothing on it.

This was not normal bread. It doesn't *need* anything on it.

That's like saying "Nibbling on a brownie without any ice cream."
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #158 on: July 21, 2010, 07:16:38 pm »

I guess what really got me was the idea of a single slice of bread (in my head I see a slice of wheat bread) in a to-go box.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #159 on: July 22, 2010, 01:32:58 am »

Hot dogs are not nearly as much of a Thing here but it was Canada Day recently and a bunch of my Canadian friends had a party during which I had a knackwurst in a bun and added poutine on top for extra decadence. I felt so full I was unable to move for some time afterwards until I was lured away by nanaimo bars
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #160 on: July 22, 2010, 01:36:47 am »

Ketchup haters: do you just oppose ketchup on hot dogs, or do you not like ketchup at all? I agree, mustard is the correct condiment for a hot dog, but it's not like I'd turn one down if it had ketchup on it. I mean, it's a hot dog.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #161 on: July 22, 2010, 01:42:25 am »

I like whole grain mustard on my brats but I usually put ketchup on hot dogs because they only mustard option is generally yellow and I hate yellow mustard.

So we now have 3 threads proving hot dog sauce is pretty much confined entirely to western PA. Do you people's hot dog stands have the concept of "everything and relish" or is that just a PA thing, too?
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #162 on: July 22, 2010, 02:04:51 am »

Ketchup haters: do you just oppose ketchup on hot dogs, or do you not like ketchup at all? I agree, mustard is the correct condiment for a hot dog, but it's not like I'd turn one down if it had ketchup on it. I mean, it's a hot dog.

I like ketchup. Sometimes I want a burger and fries just so I can eat ketchup.

But a hot dog is fattier and blander. It needs something to sharpen it up, like mustard. Not something sugary like ketchup.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #163 on: July 22, 2010, 02:36:40 am »

I love ketchup.

I take it on my scrambled eggs. I take it on macaroni and cheese. I take it on toasted cheese instead of tomato soup!

If I get a sandwich and it comes with thick ruffled potato chips, I put ketchup on the chips.

But yes. The sweetness and fruity notes of ketchup is cloying as hell on a hot dog.

That is the kernel of truth around the comic exaggeration we've been running with.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #164 on: July 22, 2010, 02:53:42 am »

Ketchup haters: do you just oppose ketchup on hot dogs, or do you not like ketchup at all? I agree, mustard is the correct condiment for a hot dog, but it's not like I'd turn one down if it had ketchup on it. I mean, it's a hot dog.

Yes I love ketchup.  It's perfect on french fries.  It's good on pretty much anything that's fried.  I even tried ketchup bread once.

Hey, I had forgotten about this  Ha ha ha.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Up