Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Established 2003
TOUAMB: Wandering off topic since the early 21st Century

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Wanking Around, Wondering...  (Read 46057 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 07:57:37 pm »

Are there in fact strips in the pay section?

The regular strips post there. I think there have been a few weird extra strips here and there, but that's not mostly what it has been.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 09:31:54 pm »

"well, if you put your efforts into expanding your fanbase with frequent free side-content instead of putting all those things behind an expansion-limiting paywall, creating content and updating more than once a damn week maybe you would still be selling more books and shirts and stuff such as was the original business model that let you quit your day-job, son".


FTFY
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 09:53:27 pm »

Fair enough, Aug.

But I think it is also fair to say that if the stuff he puts behind the pay-wall was being tossed out there as filler between actual strips, as it originally was, it would ameliorate the lack of updating that at this point HAS to be cutting into his ability to grow new readers that are then new merch-purchasers.

It is hard to get involved enough with an internet comic to the point where you would have loyalty to actually PAY for something if, after the archive binge there's nothing more to look at for weeks.

Because he did go through periods, not THIS bad, but long stretches where he didn't update the strip frequently but the free side stuff carried me through.

There still aren't that many people in the world who will pay for internet-only things unless they have a feeling of sweat-equity in their fandom.

The rise and possible fall of Achewood, it is an interest illustrative of this.

Though, of course, yes. That is only part of the problem.

Taking a strip that updated three times a week and ramping back to three times a month is a big chunk of it too.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2010, 10:04:54 pm »

I wonder what he's working on that is keeping him from his work on the strip?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2010, 10:16:11 pm »

Crying in his kitchen.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2010, 10:44:32 pm »

I think LFM's arguments about this all being about the pay wall, would make more sense if there was more content behind the paywall than there is free, but at the moment there really isn't. He has been updating that infrequently enough that even if that stuff was out there, it still wouldn't be much updating.

I guess he may have been working on the much-delayed volume three, it will be interesting to see if there is a whole lot of added stuff in that that accounts for the drought.  If he's been working on a book he can sell for money, that might make sense as a priority.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2010, 03:48:16 am »

He broke his drawing hand whilst beating up his wife.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2010, 04:12:51 am »

He broke his drawing hand whilst beating up his wife.

i think his wife broke his drawing hand whilst beating up him.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2010, 04:00:54 pm »

"Please help us keep the servers lit and firing! We're having the second "fund raiser" in our nine years—please consider dropping a little spare change in our (Paypal-powered) tip jar.

And yes, there will be a new strip later Friday. Thanks for your sense of humor about the summer schedule. "

This guy is kind of a dick and I don't think he has a solid grasp on the finer points of business relationships. It is not a fuck*ng fundraiser. You are a for-profit business that is begging me for money and then in the same breath flat out lies about delivering a product. This arc started in May and all that has really happened is Nice Pete and T went to denny's.
COOL STORY, CHRIS, COOL STORY. THE PERRY BIBLE fuck*ng FELLOWSHIP AND YOU MUST BE ON THE SAME UPDATE SCHEDULE.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2010, 04:35:42 pm »

The sad thing is that at this point, I would probably donate fifty bucks to him if he'd discontinue the paywall for good but I would not pay him three bucks a month to see behind the paywall.

I have gotten Ideological about this.

Asking for donations to keep the strip going while also charging extra for the ephemera that used to BE the buffer between strips, it BUGS me.

From a purely A-CAP sorta money-only perspective, the guy HAD a business model. The guy had a business model that allowed him and his wife to do just this thing and it seems like he slit the throat of the goose that laid the golden eggs by changing it up too fast in hopes of an expanded cash grab.

Not just the paywall bullshit but just overall. Putting so much time and effort into the Dark hoss books (it seems) and the promotional travel (it seems) to the detriment of... the actual core model.

Step 1: create such an engaging comedy world that fans feel an ownership of it and give it out on the web
Step 2: sell crap with cats on it to those fans
Step 3: profit

I dunno. Or maybe the dude just can't balance the difficulties of being a work-at-home father to a small kid with doing the strip.

Possible too. But as it does not reinforce my ideological narrative, I dismiss this concept out of hand. haha.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2010, 06:57:34 pm »

I wonder what he's working on that is keeping him from his work on the strip?

i heard he was spending the summer going house to house to visit all of
his webcomic readers and then kicking them in the balls.

Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2010, 04:43:44 am »

WHAT IF THEY DO NOT HAVE BALLS.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2010, 05:38:08 am »

they all have gonads, unless they have had that business removed.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2010, 01:50:57 pm »

Quote
Brief diversion of plans: The current storyline is taking a break this week as I develop a Roomba Cinema Citizen Kane of expanded dimensions. Follow your heart, you know.

It's the creative process, what can you do, I guess.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2010, 01:55:19 pm »

So are T and Beef gonna be riding roomba's around in the back of the van?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19   Go Up