I mean, I got a personally-signed GoF book from someone claiming to be Onstad... one of the Onstand-ins, if you will... and he was certainly pleasant.
But even when I was a little kid and believed in Santa Claus, I understood that most of the Santas in the malls weren't the actual Santa, they were surrogate Santas covering the smaller territories and doing the recon work while Actual Santa was dealing with the big picture things like not getting me the fuck*ng USS Flagg G.I. Joe battleship playset or the super-rare He-Man Eternia playset.
Even though "Cathy" was of course generated by The Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy to set feminism back forty years, I'm certain that the Cathy Guisewhite person they propped up for the occasional media interviews was indeed a living breathing person and you could shake her hand at signings or whatever. Occam's Razor and all that, a fully corporeal patsy would certainly be a lot cheaper and easier than the alternatives.
Save the cutting edge holography and animatronics for the more high-end cases like Reagan.
Lotsa people have met Clark Kent and Superman too. Superman's got look alike *****s and friends who can shapeshift.